Seeking Nontraditional Students 35+ to Network With

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MsCruzan

Reaction score
My medical program begins in 2 weeks and I'm starting to get cold feet because of my age. I could use the support of older students just to know that I'm not alone. This has been a dream of mine for so long but there is this little voice that sometimes tells me I'm crazy for doing this.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My medical program begins in 2 weeks and I'm starting to get cold feet because of my age. I could use the support of older students just to know that I'm not alone. This has been a dream of mine for so long but there is this little voice that sometimes tells me I'm crazy for doing this.

have you had any opportunity to network with older students in your class/program/school? I’ve been doing that and it has been really helpful. Good luck to you!

I fall in that demographic, I'm happy to converse via DM or on this thread. Nontrad, female, over 35, kids, married, OMS-1.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Starting M1 in August! Over 35, female, married with 3 kids.

Reactions: 2 users
have you had any opportunity to network with older students in your class/program/school? I’ve been doing that and it has been really helpful. Good luck to you!
No, because apparently I am the only non-traditional student in my program. I don't know about the entire school though. I did request a non-traditional student as a mentor but no luck so far. So that's why I thought I would try here.

Reactions: 1 users
MS1 in the fall, 35, married and ready to rock and roll!

Reactions: 3 users
MS1 this fall, 34 married father with kids. I was where you were 2 months ago. Super cold feet. I’m over that now, and excited to begin this journey. I think it’s somewhat normal to feel this, it’s a big step after all at this age (might I say, imperative to fee this?). No doubt about it - but there are plenty who have gone through school at our age, and there plenty who will. Happy to converse over dm or here.

My program begins in July. 37yo father. Feel free to DM anytime. I am hoping with my school's large class size that I will not be the only person in my age range, but who knows. On the other hand, I'm still hoping to be pulled off the waitlist for a school that only has 72 students per year, but has a significant veteran non-tradtional population

MS1 starting in Aug. I’ll be 41, married with 6 kids. Best of luck and feel free to reach out. I’ll probably be doing the same.

Alright all, I'm an M4 who is almost 40. I have one kid born at the end of M1. I'm happy to offer some advice and answer questions.

First off: you don't need a mentor just because you're older. Other than childcare, you will face the same academic hurdles as everyone else in your class for the first 2 years. Step 1 will probably be your greatest challenge because the dedicated period will require that you study independently. It can be hard to be at home or just be available because the temptation is to be with the family. The best plan is to have structured time for school, studying, and family. Give your family as much time as you can without sacrificing your school work. School comes first; if you can't make that commitment now, you're probably better off withdrawing.

M3 will be the most difficult. Schedules constantly change with rotations. Some rotations (surgery) you'll be up before dawn and home after dark and you'll still need to study for shelf exams. You will be physically, mentally, and for some people emotionally exhausted. Other rotations you'll be done in the afternoon and you won't need to study that much. You will be older than most of the residents and even some of the attendings. I only had one attending where I believe she held my outside experience against me, but in most schools there are avenues to report unfair assessments and/or get additional evaluations.

Generally, if you've had a job before med school, this will be an advantage in your clinical years. The biggest deficit I've seen with young students is that they do not understand the concept of "office politics". And while as med students you will generally be shielded from it, it can certainly help navigate difficult situations when it comes to nursing, residency, and attendings.

M4 (where I'm at) will be easier from a school perspective but harder from a family perspective. You'll have Sub-I's where you'll have more responsibility, away rotations (if they ever happen again!), residency applications, and interviews (travel). It's highly likely that your family will have to move for your residency match but you won't know where until March of your graduating year. If you have older kids it's best to prepare them for that earlier rather than later.

Anyway, that's probably enough for now. Feel free to reply if you have general questions or message me if there's something more personal you'd like to discuss.

Reactions: 9 users
There is a "non-traditional pre-med & med students" facebook page with a ton of people 35+ that may provide additional support. I'm 32 so I don't quite qualify for the 35+ however I have seen many on there with the same fears and you're not crazy! :)

This is encouraging. I’m 35 years old and pre-med. Married 10 years, & mother to a 15 month old. Hoping to apply for next year. I last graduated five years ago & currently working as a nurse. Studying for the MCAT and back to school to finish off org chem 2 & biochem. I’m encouraged from reading your posts - that this journey is possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! I'm a female nontrad, born in TX and raised elsewhere. Hope to see some of you guys when it's interview season!

40 yo non-trad here! You're not alone! I just wrapped up ochem 2 and had a fellow non-trad in my class, age 45. I'll be 42 as an MS1 if I am accepted during my first cycle. Remember your "why", always!

Reactions: 5 users
I started medical school in my mid 30's with 3 kids, I ended medical school with 4 kids. From there I went to residency and then fellowship. During the entire medical school experience, I was one of the oldest in my class. I felt that this was an advantage. First of all, you have no one to impress but yourself and your family. That being said, all the feelings of uneasiness and not wanting to embarrass yourself are gone. Because even if you have the wrong answer, who cares. You are there to learn. What I also found was that I was not involved in any of the petty bull**** that comes with the younger crowd. Again, you have no one to impress and you are at the age where you just don't care what people think of you.

Finally, while the younger crowd was going to the bar and making fools of themselves, you are with your family. You do things with them and you always have a date. I was able to have a few of my classmates be babysitters. From all of that, I was able to develop a very close relationship with 2 of my classmates. One is a little older than the typical medical student and the other is the typical age. To this day, we are still good friends.

the point is, you are not a typical medical student. You will not run in their circles and you will not be involved in their activities. and that is OK. You are not there to meet someone, you have a family, you are there to be a doctor. Stay in contact with your pre-medical school friends.

Reactions: 9 users
I started medical school in my mid 30's with 3 kids, I ended medical school with 4 kids. From there I went to residency and then fellowship. During the entire medical school experience, I was one of the oldest in my class. I felt that this was an advantage. First of all, you have no one to impress but yourself and your family. That being said, all the feelings of uneasiness and not wanting to embarrass yourself are gone. Because even if you have the wrong answer, who cares. You are there to learn. What I also found was that I was not involved in any of the petty bull**** that comes with the younger crowd. Again, you have no one to impress and you are at the age where you just don't care what people think of you.

Finally, while the younger crowd was going to the bar and making fools of themselves, you are with your family. You do things with them and you always have a date. I was able to have a few of my classmates be babysitters. From all of that, I was able to develop a very close relationship with 2 of my classmates. One is a little older than the typical medical student and the other is the typical age. To this day, we are still good friends.

the point is, you are not a typical medical student. You will not run in their circles and you will not be involved in their activities. and that is OK. You are not there to meet someone, you have a family, you are there to be a doctor. Stay in contact with your pre-medical school friends.
Yeah, not spending time in social situations for mating purposes is a huge time and stress saver

M1 (well, I guess it is M2 now), 34, single.... I don't feel like I had a disadvantage. Actually I noticed that I have advantage over classmates. I feel like I am much more comfortable with patients and I heard them saying multiple times that "they can tell me anything". Making friends and dating is very painful though. I am an introvert, so I am not worried about lack of friends (this is totally me though, I know other older students who have friends), dating is hard though. Especially if the school is in the small town. so, for your own sake, I hope you are not single :)))

M1 (well, I guess it is M2 now), 34, single.... I don't feel like I had a disadvantage. Actually I noticed that I have advantage over classmates. I feel like I am much more comfortable with patients and I heard them saying multiple times that "they can tell me anything". Making friends and dating is very painful though. I am an introvert, so I am not worried about lack of friends (this is totally me though, I know other older students who have friends), dating is hard though. Especially if the school is in the small town. so, for your own sake, I hope you are not single :)))

This is me (sort of): 32, single, starting MS1 in August and moving for school.
Super nervous about the academic part but also (to a lesser extent) nervous about the social aspect but I've been making connections with a few students now so hopefully, it will go well.
Good luck everybody, we got this!!

This is me (sort of): 32, single, starting MS1 in August and moving for school.
Super nervous about the academic part but also (to a lesser extent) nervous about the social aspect but I've been making connections with a few students now so hopefully, it will go well.
Good luck everybody, we got this!!
the best advice I can give you - there will be a lot of activities during the first few weeks, try to go to all of them, and talk to people, and get to know them. I noticed that majority of people make friends at the beginning.

Hello
This is Wonderful news... I am studying for MCAT and so am older than You;)
You will be fine!!!!

I’m 35 with three kids. I’m trying to get all pre reqs done and apply by 37. It’s been really hard since I work full time. I would be happy to talk. Some days I’m wondering if I should do something else but I’m really interested in medicine.

I fall in that demographic, I'm happy to converse via DM or on this thread. Nontrad, female, over 35, kids, married, OMS-1.
Good for you. Has it been hard being older and having kids? I’m in the same boat. Plus we will most likely need to move for school which adds to the stress lol.

Good for you. Has it been hard being older and having kids? I’m in the same boat. Plus we will most likely need to move for school which adds to the stress lol.
Honestly it’s only as hard as I allow it to be. Everything in my life revolves around two things: my family’s needs and me being successful in school. For this season in life, those are the two most important things. Everything else can wait for four years.

We moved 1,000 miles for school, but we chose an area with a better school district than where we were previously and that met our kids’ needs for extracurricular activities too. We chose an area where my husband could work, and he loves his current job. The economy is growing here so our teens all have part time job opportunities and options for college and beyond. Crime is low, there are plenty of outdoor activities and we really like where we are now.

I struggled at first to make friends and feel like I belonged in my medical school class. I didn’t struggle with this in undergrad even though I was 15+ older than most of the students there, and I’m not really sure why. Eventually (thanks to my wise husband), I didn’t exactly give up on friends in med school, but I shifted my mindset and began making friends outside of school, with parents of kids who were in school activities with our kids. These friendships have been so great, because it’s good to have conversations with non-medical people, people with kids the same age as yours, have someone to call to pick up your kid after practice, etc.

For study groups, study partners, etc they have to be fairly understanding of my family responsibilities, and I’m going to be flexible with their needs as well. I schedule groups in times that fit my family, and if they can’t/won’t work with that, then I find a new group/partner. You define your non-negotiables first (church, family dinner, date night, exercise, required classes/labs, whatever) and then you schedule your studying and social time around that. It sounds harsh to say “anyone who doesn’t understand that gets dropped”, but medical school is a time that you have to be a little bit selfish in order to achieve your goals.

I’m extremely blessed that my friends and family are very supportive of what I’m doing and respectful of my time. But maybe I select for that, lol.

34, married, and the first week of medical school is officially in the books!

How did you prepare for MCAT exam?
What were the best study materials that help you?

How did you prepare for MCAT exam?
What were the best study materials that help you?
I used examcrackers for content review and all the AAMC qbanks and full length practice exams, however, I didn’t know anki and UWorld existed then, so I would find a way to add those in too. I think there’s a good MCAT anki deck somewhere.

I used examcrackers for content review and all the AAMC qbanks and full length practice exams, however, I didn’t know anki and UWorld existed then, so I would find a way to add those in too. I think there’s a good MCAT anki deck somewhere.
[/Q
I have Exam krackers and Kaplan
I also downloadeded the AnkiApp ......Maybe I should do the U world bank
I will also purchase AAMC q bank.
Thank You Much!!!
How many hours of study did you put in daily?

This varied widely, depending on whether I was in school or out. In school...a couple of hours a night on top of class material. Non-exam weekends, breaks and summers could be 8-12 hours of studying depending on how close I was to the exam. There are plenty of high scoring MCAT threads that can give you way better advice. MCAT studying is going to be universal to both trad and non-trad students, the non-grads might just have to spread the hours out over a longer period.

I am a PGY-2 in pathology and started med school at age 37. I'm now 43 (took a semester off in med school). Happy to answer any questions!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a PGY-2 in pathology and started med school at age 37. I'm now 43 (took a semester off in med school). Happy to answer any questions!
I’m 50.... I need All the support and advice I can get. I am studying for MCAT
Again... after about 5 years. I have been facing some ageism. It’s hasn’t been easy but I have decided after a career to pursue medicine again. I will definitely have questions. Thank You Much!!

I’m M1, 35, start in a few weeks & I’m a travel RN who works in Nursing Informatics

I just turned 33 and am beginning my pre-med journey. All of these posts are very encouraging and i can't wait to start taking my prerequisites starting this fall.

Hi. I completed my premed courses on 2012 at 32 y/o and was studying for the MCAT when I diagnosed with an autoinmune disease. (Lupus). I thought I was going to die, and put everything on pause and got married. But then I realized that I should change my diet to a vegetarian and now vegan and here I am. But I hate my accounting profession (CPA). I always wanted to study medicine. But I am 40 now, just thinking what to do, I could not have children, and now am really considering changing my career. I think med school at this age is really challenging and maybe impossible to be considered or admitted. I am also considering the PA. I have to revew all my premed science courses and see If I can enroll in a PA program. So here you have a friend if need someone to talk to.

Hi. I completed my premed courses on 2012 at 32 y/o and was studying for the MCAT when I diagnosed with an autoinmune disease. (Lupus). I thought I was going to die, and put everything on pause and got married. But then I realized that I should change my diet to a vegetarian and now vegan and here I am. But I hate my accounting profession (CPA). I always wanted to study medicine. But I am 40 now, just thinking what to do, I could not have children, and now am really considering changing my career. I think med school at this age is really challenging and maybe impossible to be considered or admitted. I am also considering the PA. I have to revew all my premed science courses and see If I can enroll in a PA program. So here you have a friend if need someone to talk to.
Hello,

I am here!! Trust me I completely understand. I had a profession, over 25 years in the beauty Industry. I have been trying to transition for years. I just think that you should live your dreams.
I am much older than my peers but I owe it to myself to try. I am Proud for Anyone that has the courage and is brave enough to move forward regardless of obstacles.

I’m M1, 35, start in a few weeks & I’m a travel RN who works in Nursing Informatics
I am a senior in a traditional BSN program strongly considering medical school. I am taking Statistics this fall and I have already taken Psych and Soc, but I still need to take bio 1&2, the chemistry sequence, and physics. Did you take pre-reqs while working full-time as an RN? I am really nervous about balancing classes and working without letting my co-nurses know what I am doing (there seems to be a pretty big rift between nurses and Drs at my home institution where I hope to work after I graduate).

I wouldn't say that there is a "rift" bet doctors and nurses, but there is probably some tension and that comes with the territory. Try not to feed into it; try to be part of the solution and not the problem, you know?

I DON'T recommend taking the pre-reqs f/t while working f/t. You could scale back school to part time while working f/t, or work p/t while going to school f/t, but I woudn't recommend doing both f/t at the same time. Just my $.02. You asked, I answered.

I wouldn't say that there is a "rift" bet doctors and nurses, but there is probably some tension and that comes with the territory. Try not to feed into it; try to be part of the solution and not the problem, you know?

I DON'T recommend taking the pre-reqs f/t while working f/t. You could scale back school to part time while working f/t, or work p/t while going to school f/t, but I woudn't recommend doing both f/t at the same time. Just my $.02. You asked, I answered.

Oh yes for sure, I was asking about p/t classes with f/t work, definitely can't imagine doing both f/t!

MS1 starting in Aug. I’ll be 41, married with 6 kids. Best of luck and feel free to reach out. I’ll probably be doing the same.
Hi:
How is your journey?

I am married but I don’t have children. I joined this forum to read about other career changers since I felt I was the only one. I wanted to study medicine since High School, then I forced to study Business, when I was 29 started completing the premed requisites, at 32 studying for Mcat and quitting for being diagnosed with lupus,(I thought that was a death sentence)

Now I am 40, thinking about studying for Mcat. I thought 40 was too late to start.
I hope it is not too late for me.

Hi:
How is your journey?

I am married but I don’t have children. I joined this forum to read about other career changers since I felt I was the only one. I wanted to study medicine since High School, then I forced to study Business, when I was 29 started completing the premed requisites, at 32 studying for Mcat and quitting for being diagnosed with lupus,(I thought that was a death sentence)

Now I am 40, thinking about studying for Mcat. I thought 40 was too late to start.
I hope it is not too late for me.
I just started med school a few weeks ago. It’s hard for sure and it’s a new adjustment to learn how to keep up with the amount of material in front of me. I told my wife and kids that I’ll be basically gone for two weeks until I figure out how to handle this and that has certainly been the case. I really like the students in my class and they make me feel incredibly welcome when I see them in labs and such. I’ll graduate with a LOT of debt but it’s what I want to do and it’s a path I want to show my kids- this is something that was never taught to me and I can tell that they’re learning that they can be whatever they want. If nothing else, that alone is worth it. If you want to do this, do it. Someday you’ll turn 50. You’ll be a 50 year old doctor or a 50 year old something else but you can’t stop the clock. I was afraid of waking up one day and thinking “if I had started med school X years ago, I would be a doctor today. But I didn’t and I’m still in the same place I was in X years ago.” Best of luck to you and let me know if I can offer any advice or support.

Hello,
I’m 50.
I have taken the MCAT in the past but would need to retake it. I have registered but have put it off because I didn’t feel ready. I spent over 25 years in the beauty industry and then worked in education and in Hospital settings.
Things have definitely went left
When trying to pursue medicine. I think about retirement, I really want to be in a field that I would love and that would place me in a better position to help people. I am a little uneasy because of my age. However, my plan is to move forward.

Wao! You got into med school! That is a huge accomplishment, you passed the mcat. I started reviewing my science materials taken during the premed years and purchased an MCAT review. A friend of mine gave me a good advice: to focus on the challenge week by week and don’t worry about next month. Time will pass anyways! So it is best to study efficiently and balance life as much as you can. Please keep in touch. Keep us posted. I wish you the best of luck.!!

I am a senior in a traditional BSN program strongly considering medical school. I am taking Statistics this fall and I have already taken Psych and Soc, but I still need to take bio 1&2, the chemistry sequence, and physics. Did you take pre-reqs while working full-time as an RN? I am really nervous about balancing classes and working without letting my co-nurses know what I am doing (there seems to be a pretty big rift between nurses and Drs at my home institution where I hope to work after I graduate).

Hello. No I didn’t. I had most of the pre-reqs (everything but Organic Chemistry) in undergrad

I then took a couple of pre reqs before nursing school. The other thing I went to classes was for my certifications.

I’m away from the bedside these days primarily doing Health IT so I had a lot of downtime to study independently & just made sure I got my work done

Wao! You got into med school! That is a huge accomplishment, you passed the mcat. I started reviewing my science materials taken during the premed years and purchased an MCAT review. A friend of mine gave me a good advice: to focus on the challenge week by week and don’t worry about next month. Time will pass anyways! So it is best to study efficiently and balance life as much as you can. Please keep in touch. Keep us posted. I wish you the best of luck.!!
Hello,
I am not in medical school yet....
I need to retake the MCAT..
Sorry for the confusion;)

Hello,
I am not in medical school yet....
I need to retake the MCAT..
Sorry for the confusion;)
Oh, I got confused. I purchased a very cheap mcat review book of about 300 pages and started reviewing my chemistry books, practicing exercises and problems with the solutions. I don’t have children and wanted to adopt but I don’t know how will this work with my plans to become a doctor. These weeks I have been through a lot. I live in NE, I have my dad hospitalized in PR and had to travel here. Doctors are still figuring out his diagnosis.

I just started med school a few weeks ago. It’s hard for sure and it’s a new adjustment to learn how to keep up with the amount of material in front of me. I told my wife and kids that I’ll be basically gone for two weeks until I figure out how to handle this and that has certainly been the case. I really like the students in my class and they make me feel incredibly welcome when I see them in labs and such. I’ll graduate with a LOT of debt but it’s what I want to do and it’s a path I want to show my kids- this is something that was never taught to me and I can tell that they’re learning that they can be whatever they want. If nothing else, that alone is worth it. If you want to do this, do it. Someday you’ll turn 50. You’ll be a 50 year old doctor or a 50 year old something else but you can’t stop the clock. I was afraid of waking up one day and thinking “if I had started med school X years ago, I would be a doctor today. But I didn’t and I’m still in the same place I was in X years ago.” Best of luck to you and let me know if I can offer any advice or support.
I replied to the wrong person.

35, female, and married here too! I was rejected two cycles ago, took two off because life got in the way, and I am re-taking the MCAT in January of 2021 (hopefully). I just wanted to chime in to say congrats and way to go! If I do get in next cycle, I’ll be 36 when I start.

35, female, and married here too! I was rejected two cycles ago, took two off because life got in the way, and I am re-taking the MCAT in January of 2021 (hopefully). I just wanted to chime in to say congrats and way to go! If I do get in next cycle, I’ll be 36 when I start.
Hello,
I had take the MCAT before but I will need to retake the MCAT in 2021 also.
I have had Every level of discouragement!
I am a career changer and I am quite older than most applicants. I would like to try again because I would love to do something that I could retire happily in.
It’s not about money For me, it’s more about living a dream. I am looking for support also even if there are pre med organizations that anyone knows about for the Chicago area Please let me know!! I feel bad at times but I plan to keep studying and take the MCAT and apply.