Selecting "consider for MD also" option

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matlas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any possible downside of selecting the option saying that you would also like to be considered by the MD only program? I'm applying only to MD-PhD programs, and I am certain I would rather pursue a MD-PhD than MD alone, but if I'm not accepted by the MD-PhD program, the possibility of getting into the MD only would be a nice backup.

I'm probably reading too much into this, but could selecting this option possibly be interpreted as a lack of conviction for MD-PhD? If there's no downside, I don't really understand why it's an option at all, why aren't all MD-PhD applicants automatically considered for MD only too?

Members don't see this ad.

Apply for PhD programs if you'd rather not do an MD alone, unless you're dying for clinical experience.

That's not my question. Yes, I would really want to do MD only, if I wasn't accepted into MD-PhD. My question is why is that even an option? Why aren't all candidates automatically considered for the MD program if they aren't accepted MD-PhD? Are applicants who select that option considered any differently? The school I'm thinking of is WUSTL, who has this option on their secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Select it and don't over-think it. It's just meant as a safeguard... who wouldn't check that box :) As an anecdote that it really doesn't affect your chances, I was admitted to WashU, despite saying that I would do MD as a backup; WashU has a high internal admission rate to their program, so it is meaningless for them to try and decipher your motivation for checking the box.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
In my experience, you will be at a massive disadvantage in MD admissions if your MD-PhD application is rejected at any stage. I was rejected from MD-PhD and transferred to MD consideration for 6 schools, and received zero invites from any of these 6 MD programs. Mind you, I also directly applied to 7 schools for MD only, and I received 5 interview invites to those 7 MD programs. So from what I can tell, your chances of receiving an II to a MD program will be much lower if you're transferred from MD-PhD than if you applied directly to the MD. Technically you have nothing to lose from checking off the "Consider for MD also" box, but also don't expect it to be a reliable backup plan.

So my advice is to apply to MD-PhD only if you're 100% set on getting the PhD, even if it means foregoing your top-choice institution. But if you prefer a MD from a famous school instead of a MD-PhD from a lesser known school, you might consider applying MD-only to some of your reaches.