Self-directed anatomy tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ortnakas

DO
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a first year, and I'm terrified of anatomy.

Anatomy at my school is taught mostly self-directed. I'm excited about PBL for everything else in the pre-clinical years, but I'm not sold on it for anatomy so far. Luckily, we're only on week 2, but I'm never sure if I'm studying the right things and I'd like to not get hopelessly behind. Does anyone who's had this anatomy curriculum have any tips? I know the LECOMs have some pathways with anatomy set up like this; I'm not sure about any of the other schools.

Advice would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Tip:

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1407199214.575412.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
BRS Anatomy was a great resource to me. I recommend it.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can do the questions in BRS Anatomy and Gray's Clinical Review (most important IMO), you will do well in Anatomy. The latter has 150-200 questions per section with very detailed explanations. You learn a ton by missing questions and reading explanations. The clinical boxes in BRS are great too.

Cadaver lab is essentially self-taught anyways. It's just a matter of going over structures again and again and again. Try to get a daily routine down. I made lists with all the muscles, origin, insertion, innervation, and blood supply and would systematically run through the list a million times before an exam.

UMich has a good website to go over structures outside of lab. Anatomy is an exercise in memorization and willpower, with very little to do with intelligence. Put in a colossal amount of time and you'll get results. GL!

Reactions: 3 users
BRS Anatomy is incredible for quick review. For those who like full-length texts (Robbins Pathologic Basis of Disease, anyone?) I found reading the chapters in Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy prior to that section of cadaver lab and lecture to be immensely helpful for getting a big picture. The "blue boxes" are rife with potential test questions as well.

Also, grab a beer (or drink of choice) and just stare at your atlas. There is always something hidden there that you didn't notice before. It's like a treasure map. Find EVERYTHING.

Last, mnemonics are key.

Reactions: 1 user