Senior Applying Next Cycle (Gap year)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hack646

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello fellow Wolverine!

I am in a similar boat as you. I scored a 30 (11/8/11) on my July MCAT, and my grades are a bit lower than yours. I was disappointed as well, and did about 2.5ish points below my average too. It sucks because my friends that took it with me all did 2-4 points ABOVE their average.

Anyways, this is a helpful resource from our career center. http://careercenter.umich.edu/article/med/2012-medical-school-application-statistics

As you can see, your grades are definitely above the average medical school matriculant from Michigan, but your MCAT is a tad bit lower. I'm not sure how you studied for it, but I've been slowly coming up with ways to improve my studying for next summer. We can submit our primaries in June without an MCAT score.

The thing is, I've been told that I have a pretty decent shot at in-state schools, but if the MCAT could possibly be raised to a 33+, it would open so many doors. It's not like you have to decide now, but just something to think about. Also, we have some amazing pre-med advisors. I personally go to Dr. Brawn, but yeah, check it out man.

You got some solid ECs though. It's obvious that you're dedicated and you're driven to be a physician. Take a moment to enjoy all your achievements, don't stress out too much, and enjoy senior year my friend =)

Last edited: