Serious about considering Medicine. Feedback Requested.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deathrus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My history:

Former Computer Science major. Close to a 3.9 GPA. Always had this interest until one day I changed my entire path. I dropped CS.

I have worked full-time in may areas: several IT firms, I have been in management in several fast food companies( times were bad).

Now, I am certified Phlebotomist . I have also worked in a lab but not certified as a MLT and am a night time supervisor.

GPA is a 3.5 overall; with a 3.2 GPA in sciences. This is working full-time paying for collage. GPA is on a rising trend; hope to have close to 3.8 science GPA in the next two years. I have finished my second year at the moment as a bio major. But, may switch to microbiology since I have a knack for it.

EC: Helped Students with disabilities as a note taker. Masonic volunteering. NO Med EC yet which I hope to change. I have plenty of work experience in a medical setting as a phleb. and lab worker.

Have taken/read many MCAT guides; most recently Khan Academy. Did well on many things.The things I did not do well on I taught myself to do better and researched myself.

Why the change to something I am not as good at? I have always had the calling to help people in medicine, just ignored it. I am getting better everyday.

Questions:

When should I try for shadowing in/out patient? I have read many different things here. Hence why I posted, to get advice for my situation .

Also will my phleb/ lab/leadership experience help?

Should I pursue micro over bio? I am better at Micro. But I know Biology can offer a more broad spectrum of science?

Should I be doing MCAT practice as I have been doing? Is it presumptuous or can it be helpful in my upcoming classes?

I know from my research my GPA is on the lower end. It has been on a rising trend as I get even more acclimated to working full-time and collage full-time. I know I will have to cut back on work at some point.

Any other advice would be grateful. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Questions:

When should I try for shadowing in/out patient? I have read many different things here. Hence why I posted, to get advice for my situation .

Also will my phleb/ lab/leadership experience help?

Should I pursue micro over bio? I am better at Micro. But I know Biology can offer a more broad spectrum of science?

Should I be doing MCAT practice as I have been doing? Is it presumptuous or can it be helpful in my upcoming classes?
I'd start shadowing as soon as possible. Get in there and make sure this is the field you want. I don't think it matters in/out patient; try and get exposed to what you find interesting.

Yes, phleb/lab/leadership will help. Not gonna do any miracles, but it's good experience.

Do whichever you are more interested in as long as you can keep raising that GPA.

MCAT practice probably isn't necessary until you are studying in the immediate time frame before you take the test. I'm gathering you are still a few years out from it? It's way too early.

Get the grades up, make a good MCAT, and shadow enough to make sure this is what you want to do with your life. It's not as easy to make a change once you're wrapped up in med school/residency like you may have been able to do in the past. Good luck!