serious oral surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nona1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, what's a condition that would preclude one from returning to work for a few weeks? I mean, what's the name of a condition, and what would the treatment be? I'll explain later, promise! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe if your jaw was completely broken and dislocated you'd be able to get the weekend off from work.

Honestly, I have no idea, else I'd have thought of a better example.

LeFort III mid-facial fracture, or to describe it eloquently as one of our OMS's did "craniofacial dysjunction". You'd have to get a head CT, a consult with an OMS, and some surgery ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're looking for non-traumatic reasons, probably orthognathic surgery. Even though this is a major surgery, most people go home in a day or 2 and can be functional again in a week, although they will still look like hell from the edema for a few weeks. People are only rarely wired shut these days, even though there are patients you wish you could wire shut. If they are wired shut, it's usually about 4-6 weeks depending on the reason they are wired shut.

There are tons of conditions that would require this type of surgery to fix it, namely, maxillary hyperplasia/hypoplasia, mandibular hyperplasia/hypoplasia, posterior crossbite, anterior openbite, hemifacial microsomia, cleft palate (needs a maxillary advancement), and almost any craniofacial syndrome which causes asymmetry or facial growth disturbances. Moving the maxilla can often cause perceived changes in the nasal unit of the face, so rhinoplasty is often done at the same time.

The treatments can include Lefort I,II, or III osteotomies sometimes further cutting the upper jaw into segments. Lower jaw procedures include sagittal-split ramus osteotomy, vertical ramus osteotomy, genioplasty (moving the chin).

I googled around and found this website which may be helpful:

http://boiseoms.com/examples/maxillary.html

Also, removal of tumors or cysts can be a pretty devastating surgery requiring longer hospital stays....especially if the patient has a tracheostomy or surgery on the actual airway.

OSCC requiring radical neck dissection? :eek:

aphistis said:
That jives with what we're taught. Oral SCC N1 or more gets dissected.

There's a lot more to it than that. N0 necks are also dissected quite frequently. The decision to do this is based on many things.

rrc said:
There's a lot more to it than that. N0 necks are also dissected quite frequently. The decision to do this is based on many things.
[shrug] I didn't mean to suggest that was the only circumstance, but I'll take your word for it. I'm just an incoming DS3, so all I'm doing is parroting what we got in pathology. Thanks for clarifying.