Seriously looking at academics....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghgi8

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I know this topic has been played out a bit but I was hoping one of the senior members interested in academics could comment on several points...

First let me tell you about myself...
MS-4, first interested in the field approx. 1 year ago
Step 1: 252
Probably in the 2nd quartile for grades of a southern school just breaking into the top 50
Have some research, including a first author poster presentation to be presented at astro this year (will also try to publish in a journal), involved in one non-radonc project (first author) which was published and presented at conference, author on a rad-onc paper, several rad-onc conference presentations.
I plan on getting some good recommendations form top names in the field.

Now, I've known for awhile that I want to do Rad Onc....but I've just come to the realization within the past month or two that I would like to strongly consider academics and pursue a career in research medicine. I have heard by many that academics is considered more competitive, and that going to a "good" residency will result in a better position in academics.

I have been told that there are about 20 good residency programs in the US.

Would I need to goto one of these residency programs to get an academic position at one of these top 20 programs?

Is academic medicine the same (are you able to accomplish as much) at the lesser institutions?

How does one work their way up the academic hierarchy?

What other benefits does academic medicine have?

What are the drawbacks (other than money) of academic medicine?

How much say will I have in where I live?

What do you think a year off doing research could do for me?

How much should I expect to be paid for the research time?

Can someone please aid me to logically decide whether a year off is appropriate and beneficial?

Thanks in advance, good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

Would I need to goto one of these residency programs to get an academic position at one of these top 20 programs?
It may help but you absolutely do not need to go to a "top" residency to get a spot in a top 20 program.

Is academic medicine the same (are you able to accomplish as much) at the lesser institutions?

Potentially yes, but you will have to work harder in smaller, less organized institutions. Larger programs may have features such as a mandatory research year, well-organized databases to facilitate clinical research, a large pipeline of faculty for you to help publish data, etc. At smaller programs you can accomplish the same but you may need to work harder and be more aggressive to gain the same oportunities.

How does one work their way up the academic hierarchy?
1. Funding, 2. Publications, 3. Generating revenue for the department, 4. Everything else

What other benefits does academic medicine have?
Your colleagues will be among the best in their field; the opportunity to specialize in one or a few sub-sites; better personal reputation in the field (this is why applicants do not commonly solicit reco letters from private docs); better opportunities to do research (basic/clinical); stronger multi-disciplinary oncology (your surgeons/med oncs/rads colleagues will be very good); ability to train future residents in our field; jobs more available in desirable locations (e.g. big cities); malpractice paid for; your salary is not strictly based on the number of patients you see/procedures you do

What are the drawbacks (other than money) of academic medicine?
Pay is less; inter-department politics; if you don't enjoy publishing, life will be difficult for you; a wider variety of practice settings in private

How much say will I have in where I live?
Private > academic

What do you think a year off doing research could do for me?

Hard to say. Best to discuss with your PD. Your numbers are solid. You are presenting at ASTRO and if you can crank out a publication I think you should be golden.

How much should I expect to be paid for the research time?

Not much. Most likely less than what an average PGY-1 makes.

I went through some of the same questions you've posted above, and you've asked a LOT of questions.

Currently, I'm a PGY-5 and on the interview trail. I decided several years ago to follow an academic path. Now, anyone would tell you that I'm not in a top-notch residency program by any means. Great clinical training, don't get me wrong. But not really an "academic" place other than the fact that there are residents training here.

Despite that, I'm being invited to interview at a lot of places that most people consider to be the top-notch academic departments in the country. Part of this is probably due to my research background and the fact that I've managed to do a lot independently without staff handing me projects (frankly, the way residents at most of the "name" programs get their research, but that's another story).

But the other part is that this is a good time to be going into academics as a radiation oncologist. Many programs are expanding currently, and frankly not many Rad Onc grads want to go the true academic route. By this I mean support for a few years followed by the expectation that you will then be independently funded with extramural research dollars. There are a number of those positions open right now with few people applying. It's just hard work, and you really have to love it.

Most people who say they want to go into academics want to be associated with a med school and have the opportunity to teach med students and residents but never have the plan to do much research beyond the case series. The market is a little tougher for those positions right now. Still decent with all the program expansions, but a bit slimmer pickings.