Service to the underserved

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheMeow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at programs that volunteer in other countries with limited medical access, such as VIDA or Project Medishare. Anyone have similar experiences through these, or have ways on serving the underserved population in general? Is it worth the exposure, time, and money? Are there other activities closer to your community that you are involved in?

A little about me, I am looking to apply to medical school within the next two years, but with a future goal of serving underserved communities. For me, I have a personal experience coming from a disadvantaged family who couldn't afford health care growing up. I can first-hand understand the struggles, but I don't believe I have any experience to show that I have served such populations.

Without a doubt, I am set on going to medical school and cannot imagine any other fulfilling career. I have strong extracurricular activities through scribing, being a certified nursing assistant, shadowing, volunteering in the EDs, working as a biology teacher's assistant in the lab, research, and a future research presentation and publication as first co-author. But I hope that with additional exposure to serving underserved populations, I can confirm my purpose of why I want to be a doctor to help disadvantaged communities, going back to how I was raised. I'm just not sure how to approach it or prove it.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I volunteer in a hospital where I'd say 70% of admitted patients are members of an underserved population. I also do a mentoring program 2 days a week through the college of medicine of a local state university. I'm the only caucasian person in this particular program, including mentees and mentors. The mentoring program takes place currently at a middle school and a high school, both of which being in incredibly poor areas known quite strongly for crime. Most of the mentees are placed in a difficult situation where education isn't always strongly encouraged (the average median income of these two schools is amongst the lowest in the state). Through these, I'm able to serve underserved populations close to me. It's a bit of a drive from where I live, but it has a direct impact, and allows me to help those I truly do wish to help. While I'd like to volunteer in other countries, that isn't quite economically feasible for me. Those are some activities, I suppose. I can provide more detail if you'd like.

I'm gonna guess from the Asian cat and the location you are Hmong?

Members don't see this ad :)
I volunteer in a hospital where I'd say 70% of admitted patients are members of an underserved population. I also do a mentoring program 2 days a week through the college of medicine of a local state university. I'm the only caucasian person in this particular program, including mentees and mentors. The mentoring program takes place currently at a middle school and a high school, both of which being in incredibly poor areas known quite strongly for crime. Most of the mentees are placed in a difficult situation where education isn't always strongly encouraged (the average median income of these two schools is amongst the lowest in the state). Through these, I'm able to serve underserved populations close to me. It's a bit of a drive from where I live, but it has a direct impact, and allows me to help those I truly do wish to help. While I'd like to volunteer in other countries, that isn't quite economically feasible for me. Those are some activities, I suppose. I can provide more detail if you'd like.
That is wonderful. I will do some google search for those kinds of services in my area. What did you specifically do as a mentee? Was it reading, tutoring, providing educational guidance, etc.?

I'm gonna guess from the Asian cat and the location you are Hmong?
No, I am Vietnamese. :) First-generation college student and both my parents migrated to the states during the Vietnam war.

Though Hmong is a huge population we serve at the emergency department I scribe at!

That is wonderful. I will do some google search for those kinds of services in my area. What did you specifically do as a mentee? Was it reading, tutoring, providing educational guidance, etc.?
You pretty much summed it up. We keep pretty good tabs on what is going on in their educational lives. They don't have much guidance from other sources in their lives in terms of this, so we do try to keep them on the path towards academic excellence. If you have any questions, feel free to ask or PM :)

Most of my undergrad ECs were through teaching/mentoring HS, MS and college students from historically underserved and disadvantaged backgrounds too.

I also did something like that briefly while I studied abroad, but relative to the costs + impact you can have, getting involved with free clinics, after school/similar programs in your area, pipeline programs where you work in those areas are more financially feasible (and potentially viewed more positively) than going abroad. They're everywhere, especially if you live in a larger city (or near one) - you just have to do a bit of research and networking ;)

In our backyards + abroad, the health disparities may vary due to cultural/regional differences, but there are problems everywhere that you could get involved with.

I asked Bc I think the story/plan would look more believable if you are involved with your own community. These committees are inundated with well meaning, wealthy whites and Asians who say they want to serve the poor but who never will because they have no deep connection to the community in question. You have that connection, so working with them now makes it more organic IMO.

Volunteering or getting paid to interpret in a hospital would be a great experience.

No, I am Vietnamese. :) First-generation college student and both my parents migrated to the states during the Vietnam war.

Though Hmong is a huge population we serve at the emergency department I scribe at!
hink