Services to scrub Internet of personal info?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samac

Rojo extraordinaire, gave away my tinfoil to PSV
7+ Year Member
Contest Winner!
Reaction score
So as a psychiatrist sometimes we get threatened by patients. That’s all fine and dandy, but one today just made me nervous with the intensity he had.
That being said I started searching myself and there are all these pay for information websites that I’d prefer to get off of. I wondered if a service existed to scrub personal info from the web? I know if someone tries real hard they could probably still find me, but I’d prefer for it to be harder than page 1 of google.
I took myself off of white pages, interesting it had my ooooolllllddd address that is still my mom, but yet had a town i did in AI in as a 4th year medical student as a place I was associated with. At an address where I couldn’t get mail. Weird.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
There are many companies that do this, but none are perfect. Things like county records are public information. Patients know where you work. Confronting you at work is easy. Waiting at work to put a tracker on your car is minimally difficult. Personally I’d focus on awareness and home security.

There is also changing your name to John Smith or Sarah White and using Uber to work.

Reactions: 4 users
So as a psychiatrist sometimes we get threatened by patients. That’s all fine and dandy, but one today just made me nervous with the intensity he had.
That being said I started searching myself and there are all these pay for information websites that I’d prefer to get off of. I wondered if a service existed to scrub personal info from the web? I know if someone tries real hard they could probably still find me, but I’d prefer for it to be harder than page 1 of google.
I took myself off of white pages, interesting it had my ooooolllllddd address that is still my mom, but yet had a town i did in AI in as a 4th year medical student as a place I was associated with. At an address where I couldn’t get mail. Weird.
What did he say? Did you refuse controlled substances?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There are many companies that do this, but none are perfect. Things like county records are public information. Patients know where you work. Confronting you at work is easy. Waiting at work to put a tracker on your car is minimally difficult. Personally I’d focus on awareness and home security.

There is also changing your name to John Smith or Sarah White and using Uber to work.
Sure, I understand I wouldn’t be able to get everything off the Internet and if someone wants to find me they absolutely could, but currently all they have to do is google my name and there I am on the first page with my address and all which is just obnoxious.

What did he say? Did you refuse controlled substances?
Nope. He presented for SI/HI and was super vague about everything, refused to give collateral, we’d never seen him before so homeboy needs admitted.
We have no beds so I have to send him to the state hospital. He didn’t like that, got threat-y. He’s likely antisocial.
He tries to kick a nurse in the face and I helped grab him when that happened. More threat-y with this intense stare that made me uncomfortable. First time a patient has made me uncomfortable.
good times.

Nope. He presented for SI/HI and was super vague about everything, refused to give collateral, we’d never seen him before so homeboy needs admitted.
We have no beds so I have to send him to the state hospital. He didn’t like that, got threat-y. He’s likely antisocial.
He tries to kick a nurse in the face and I helped grab him when that happened. More threat-y with this intense stare that made me uncomfortable. First time a patient has made me uncomfortable.
good times.
Nurses don't have their full name on their badges... physicians do.

Nurses don't have their full name on their badges... physicians do.
Right. That’s why I’d like to minimize what people can google.
he got threat-y with me, the one who made the call to admit him, not the nurse who he tried to kick.

• Wow
Right. That’s why I’d like to minimize what people can google.
he got threat-y with me, the one who made the call to admit him, not the nurse who he tried to kick.
It's an odd double standard with the badges tho ..

Reactions: 3 users
There's a bunch of services that do this.

Here is one

I've been considering it too, going to sign up with one of them soon.

Not sure what makes one service superior to another.

As my phone number is out there due to my private expert witness practice, occasionally patients will find it. It has not gotten too bad. Most are apologetic and I may have to block a few.

I assume the last part was a joke, but curious what kind of security most have on their homes? We're upgrading and thinking of getting a security system for the new place, but it'll have property so it won't be cheap. All my information is online. I just figure they'll find me one way or another. Anyone put their house under another name for safety reasons? I was just going to put it under my own name but in-laws say that's a mistake.

I assume the last part was a joke, but curious what kind of security most have on their homes? We're upgrading and thinking of getting a security system for the new place, but it'll have property so it won't be cheap. All my information is online. I just figure they'll find me one way or another. Anyone put their house under another name for safety reasons? I was just going to put it under my own name but in-laws say that's a mistake.

depends on how much you trust your spouse I guess lol. I know people who do that though.

Remember if it’s under someone else’s name it’s technically their property unless you have an LLC own it that you own or something complicated.

Members don't see this ad :)

A joke in that I don’t expect anyone to do it, but it would be the simplest way to hide in plain sight. Even the sites that you can pay to scrub the internet will miss some new things. I’ve had peers do this and they need to do their own search and submit tickets to help when new information reaches the net.

The level of safety is up to you. My uncle in law has cameras at all angles with motion sensors. Anyone that enters his small acreage and he knows. A friend has a German Shepherd from Germany that will attack on command.

A patient of mine was committed by a judge to the state hospital. Probably one of the least functional patients that I’ve had. He later followed the judge home and got her address once out of the hospital. Before anything came of it, he was readmitted. Back to court we went. He dressed well that day, smiled, and kept still. Toward the end I became convinced that he would be discharged without a miracle. In the last few moments, the judge asked if he would like to speak. His attorney leaned over and told him to decline and he is free. Instead the patient began asking the judge about her neighbors, announced her address, and said he planned on coming tonight to kill her. He had the address memorized for weeks.

My point is more that hiding your address is a small success if someone psychotic can easily follow you home. It is a false sense of security.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
A joke in that I don’t expect anyone to do it, but it would be the simplest way to hide in plain sight. Even the sites that you can pay to scrub the internet will miss some new things. I’ve had peers do this and they need to do their own search and submit tickets to help when new information reaches the net.

The level of safety is up to you. My uncle in law has cameras at all angles with motion sensors. Anyone that enters his small acreage and he knows. A friend has a German Shepherd from Germany that will attack on command.

A patient of mine was committed by a judge to the state hospital. Probably one of the least functional patients that I’ve had. He later followed the judge home and got her address once out of the hospital. Before anything came of it, he was readmitted. Back to court we went. He dressed well that day, smiled, and kept still. Toward the end I became convinced that he would be discharged without a miracle. In the last few moments, the judge asked if he would like to speak. His attorney leaned over and told him to decline and he is free. Instead the patient began asking the judge about her neighbors, announced her address, and said he planned on coming tonight to kill her. He had the address memorized for weeks.

My point is more that hiding your address is a small success if someone psychotic can easily follow you home. It is a false sense of security.
So the attorney likely knowing his patient is psychotic/homicidal still wanted him to be free…pretty messed up

Reactions: 2 users
depends on how much you trust your spouse I guess lol. I know people who do that though.

Remember if it’s under someone else’s name it’s technically their property unless you have an LLC own it that you own or something complicated.

I don't have an LLC so that's that. I think if patients really want to find your address, they will regardless of whose name it's in.

This is the nightmare scenario. But as you say, patients can always follow you home and find your address if they really want to. I'm thinking cameras definitely, but motion detector would be hard due to animals that sometimes come out of the woods.

Just regarding personal security in general, I'm no wild gun guy but nothing beats a dog and my good friend Glock (in my case Springfield XD 40) in my bedroom. I also put these on my doors since most deadbolts are super easy to pick/kick in...extremely easy to install and basically takes a gorilla to get through the door once these are on.

Honestly, you have to be careful in general about personal security in any medical line of work. Can always have a pissed off patient who wants to figure out a way to get to you, especially these days and basically anyone with a pulse can buy a gun in most states (or just go to a state where they can).

Reactions: 1 users
I don't have an LLC so that's that. I think if patients really want to find your address, they will regardless of whose name it's in.

This is the nightmare scenario. But as you say, patients can always follow you home and find your address if they really want to. I'm thinking cameras definitely, but motion detector would be hard due to animals that sometimes come out of the woods.

I think a home camera setup definitely makes sense, especially because you could also monitor for someone scoping out your house at any point. A home system with continuous recording external wired cameras that feed into a home hard drive/DVR is the best option for this (not all the stupid Nest or Amazon webcam cameras which basically only record when they detect motion).

Are these self-installed or do you go through a company?

I don't have them on my house but helped my dad set them up. You can just get like a set at Costco and set it up yourself, you'd just have to drill the external holes/run the wires and everything...so just depends on how handy you are.

They're not as fancy as this but something like this:

Your attorney should advocate for you. Even the guilty deserve representation.
Your attorney who knows your psychotic and could kill yourself or the judge should try to get you released? That doesn’t seem moral

Your attorney who knows your psychotic and could kill yourself or the judge should try to get you released? That doesn’t seem moral

Absolutely it's correct. The same way it's "not moral" for an attorney to advocate for release of or downgrading a sentence for a mass shooter.

Morality has nothing to do with it. If an attorney is not advocating for their client to the best of their ability, they are committing legal malpractice. Which is why they also carry malpractice insurance.

Absolutely it's correct. The same way it's "not moral" for an attorney to advocate for release of or downgrading a sentence for a mass shooter.

Morality has nothing to do with it. If an attorney is not advocating for their client to the best of their ability, they are committing legal malpractice. Which is why they also carry malpractice insurance.

Yes and no. Everyone deserves representation, but your job as an attorney is not to lie for your client either. One could make the case that a lawyer is not a doctor and has no idea that his client won't be safe for release, but a lawyer who knowingly lies to get his client released will sometimes have legal consequences for that. Lawyers get reprimanded or disbarred even for lying in court. Psych cases are a little different because it's beyond their area of expertise.

don’t lottery winners and celebrities use trusts to protect their privacy for real estate?

something like this?