Setting aside time for MCAT 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustinD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My college is on the quarter system and I will be finishing nearly all of my MCAT pre reqs by the middle of March 2015 (when winter quarter ends).

I'll be starting the spring quarter right after and will be taking sociology and statistics (thats it). I want to be studying for the MCAT 2015 during this time, and will take it June 19/20 giving me exactly 3 months to study for it.

1. Is 3 months enough time to study for the mcat 2015?
2. Is a mid June test date (with results coming back July 21st) too late to apply that same summer for med school?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

This is my opinion:

1. I'll tell you no, that 3 months may be enough. Some people may need less, some more. This completely depends on where you are in your grasp of the content and your schedule. I thought I'd study for 3 months, but ended up studying off and on for 5 because life got in the way and I wanted to travel. My advise would be to shoot for 3 but make a schedule for 2.5 months so you have some weeks to use outside of studying if you need them - if you don't need them, then you have 2 more weeks for pure practice automatically built into your schedule.

2. No I don't think so from my experience and from what I've read on SDN. It takes about a month if I remember correctly from when you submit your application to when schools receive it and, again if my memory serves me, it wasn't until the beginning of July that the earliest secondaries started rolling out.

Good luck!!

3 months is, I believe, extremely doable as long as you make a schedule and stick to it. Seriously, write down a schedule of what you plan on doing each day, that way you're forced to follow something. Additionally, make sure to not force yourself through a chapter, invest enough time in it to understand it.