Setting up a shot to Medicine in Germany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heidelberg-med

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm currently in final year studies and am looking to enrol in a German university for their medical studies. The main challenge at the moment is - I cannot speak/write German. Therefore, can you please check whether I have understood what needs to be fulfilled in an application (to Heidelberg) so I dont fill out 90% of the application to get rejected for missing an important note.

I will qualify for Candidate Group 1,
Therefore I need to go through uni-assist e.V. (grades from high school (IB) and university) and pay for the processsing fees
If this is correct and satisfied, I should receive a Preliminary documentation for direct application to the University of Heidelberg which I should submit with an application to Uni of Heidelberg with the uni Assist e.v.
+ proof of financing studies, passport,photos

Can someone clarify the - uncertified copy of the credit assessment notice of the State Examination Office of medicine, pharmacy and dentistry that I may need to send to Heidelberg? and a preliminary documentation ORIGINAL GSP Certificate of Academic Evaluation of their home country

Some things Im not certain of - an entrance exam for Heidelberg? Proof of competency? and what level of competency I would need to have in German.

Might need to consider a gap year to push up my German

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
...I'm sorry, but why would you want to attend a German University in a German-speaking country if you do not speak German?

Even if you immersed your studies, you'd probably need more than a year to build adequate proficiency for a foreign med school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
...I'm sorry, but why would you want to attend a German University in a German-speaking country if you do not speak German?

I think a better question is why the OP thinks a forum for pre-med US allopathic students would be able to help him navigate the German educational system.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They do make fast cars...so a lot of accidents..therefore more patients and profit! Good thinking op

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
Verstehst du es nicht? Du musst Deutsch sehr gut sprechen vor du kannst in Deutschland studieren.

1) I don't anything about the German education system other than they sure do make great engineers.

2) maybe the international forum could be more helpful on this topic than we could?

3) I don't really know your motivations for jumping ship to Germany but maybe take a year off and do a language immersion program in Germany through your uni? Probably the best way to learn the language quickly.

OP I know you didn't ask for advice about whether not you should apply but could you help us explore your motivation for doing so? With the information you provided, it doesn't sound like a well-thought-out plan.

3) I don't really know your motivations for jumping ship to Germany but maybe take a year off and do a language immersion program in Germany through your uni? Probably the best way to learn the language quickly.
It's a fairly easy language to learn given its parallels to English, but we're talking about developing the lingual skill and vocabulary of a physician, communicating very complex ideas in a variety of arenas. I'm not certain how long something like that would take for a non native speaker to develop, but I'd wager it would take more than a year.

Verstehst du es nicht? Du musst Deutsch sehr gut sprechen vor du kannst in Deutschland studieren.

*Du musst sehr gut Deutsch sprechen bevor du in Deutschland studieren kannst. ;)

It's a fairly easy language to learn given its parallels to English, but we're talking about developing the lingual skill and vocabulary of a physician, communicating very complex ideas in a variety of arenas.

I've actually heard that German is a relatively difficult language to learn. It may not be as different from English as Japanese, but it's not exactly a walk in the park.

I've never taken German (Spanish, whoo!) but my buddy told me the difficulty came from complex grammar and lots of memorization.

Most people probably can't, within a year, become proficient enough in Spanish (myself included!) to attend a medical school that held instruction in it, and that's obviously an easier language. ;)

I've never taken German (Spanish, whoo!) but my buddy told me the difficulty came from complex grammar and lots of memorization.

Most people probably can't, within a year, become proficient enough in Spanish (myself included!) to attend a medical school that held instruction in it, and that's obviously an easier language. ;)

My German prof became fluent in the language after 6 months in Austria (with no prior exposure), so n=1 but it's possible. Get that Lufthansa ticket and start hitting on some German girls ASAP OP

I dated a German (in Heidelberg, oddly enough) and took German lessons while staying there. It was as difficult a language for me as studying Arabic was. I highly, highly doubt you'd be proficient enough in a year of full time language study to be able to start school.

Anyway, have you considered contacting the university and asking?

*Du musst sehr gut Deutsch sprechen bevor du in Deutschland studieren kannst. ;)
Ehhh. Ich weiß nicht. Das Verb kommt nach dem Satz. Ich habe es so gelernt. Vielleicht hast du mehr Praxis?

Tut mir Leid. "Bevor" ist richtig. Genau!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not arrogant enough to assume that I will be able to start medical school without prior german competency. If someone could humour me and advise whether these are the documents necessary to meet the requirements for application. I posted in this subforum because it was the best I could find so if Moderator feels necessary please help me change to an appropriate forum.

I'm not arrogant enough to assume that I will be able to start medical school without prior german competency. If someone could humour me and advise whether these are the documents necessary to meet the requirements for application. I posted in this subforum because it was the best I could find so if Moderator feels necessary please help me change to an appropriate forum.

Honestly I question your english competency let alone german. This forum is for U.S. Allopathic premedical students. The reason why nobody has answered your question is because we don't know. Contact someone in the actual organization you are applying to (hopefully they speak english).

Even is the program is completely in english, it will be difficult to live in Germany without knowing the language, while most germans do know english they will refuse to speak to you in anything but German! I have a friend currently getting his PHD in Munich and well it has not been an easy walk !

Warum willst du in Deutschland studieren? Ist es frei für Auslander?