SGU August Class 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cjohns30

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received an interview invite for SGU August Class 2016 asking me to confirm my address to set up an interview with someone local. I emailed them back and waiting on a reply. Whats the timeline typically look from here on out as far as scheduling a date then getting an acceptance notification? Also has anyone on here revived admission to this class yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!

Ok so I applied to SGU last year and decided to wait on it and retake the MCAT. As for the timeline, they will set you up with a local MD who graduated from SGU. I know mine met me at a Panera. He was very quick about meeting me at a close convenient place for me (very nice of him right?). Essentially it is a matter of making sure you have realistic expectations for the school and realize what the school allows you to do and what residencies you probably can't get (Ortho, Derm, etc). Overall the interviewer was very nice and I received my acceptance within 2 or 3 weeks. It may take 4 or 5 only because August is obviously their big incoming class.

I think it probably depends who your interviewer is. I had my interview on the 8th and got my acceptance on the 23rd.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted to the August 2016 class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was accepted to the August 2016 class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi , congratulations on your acceptance to Sgu' som August 2016 class.

If this is ok to ask please when did you start your application process if you can still remember. Thanks a lot.

I just received an interview invite for SGU August Class 2016 asking me to confirm my address to set up an interview with someone local. I emailed them back and waiting on a reply. Whats the timeline typically look from here on out as far as scheduling a date then getting an acceptance notification? Also has anyone on here revived admission to this class yet?

Hey! I had my interview via skype and got a call back from them a little over a week later about my acceptance! I haven't officially accepted yet because I want to hear back from all the schools I applied to before making a final decision, but I was very happy to hear back from SGU!

Anyone else get accepted recently, was hoping to chat with a few others about SGU?

Hey! I had my interview via skype and got a call back from them a little over a week later about my acceptance! I haven't officially accepted yet because I want to hear back from all the schools I applied to before making a final decision, but I was very happy to hear back from SGU!

Anyone else get accepted recently, was hoping to chat with a few others about SGU?

There are probably others around that have more recent experience on the island, but I'm a 4th year student at SGU and would be happy to answer any questions you have about the program or living in Grenada. I had a terrible time finding accurate first-hand information when I was applying so I try to be as candid as possible about my experiences.

Applied beginning of Sept 2015
Interviewed 1/8/16
Accepted 1/26/16

Very excited, but uncertain, scared and nervous. I have a husband, kids, house and dogs. Have a lot of planning to do in a short amount of time. Looking to sell the house, looking for private schooling for my 14 yr old, house to rent, car to buy, lottery numbers to win? ;)
Very much looking forward to the experience of living there. I have a friend that's doing his rotations now and a soon-to-be cousin that just graduated from surgical residency that went there. I hear nothing but great things.

Reactions: 2 users
New to this SDN thread. I'm a non-traditional student (currently 35) and have an interview coming up in a few weeks. I've read from people on here that interviews for SGU are fairly low key but was wondering if anyone would be willing to go into interview specifics? Also, out of interviews, how many are accepted?

There are probably others around that have more recent experience on the island, but I'm a 4th year student at SGU and would be happy to answer any questions you have about the program or living in Grenada. I had a terrible time finding accurate first-hand information when I was applying so I try to be as candid as possible about my experiences.
Ben,

I'm interested in learning what you're trying to match to and how your match process has gone? Their is a lot of info on here and bashing of Caribbean students and it's making me nervous to attend SGU.

Ben,

I'm interested in learning what you're trying to match to and how your match process has gone? Their is a lot of info on here and bashing of Caribbean students and it's making me nervous to attend SGU.

I'm applying for psychiatry. When I started SGU I was dead-set on EM, then in 3rd year I fell in love with Psych and IM during my clerkships. I was really torn between them until about a week before ERAS applications were due, but after a lot of soul-searching I think I will be happier in psych, and it fits my personality and long-term goals better. So far the Match has gone fine, I'm reluctant to discuss the specific details until after Match Day, though. I will say that I've had interviews at both small and large community hospitals as well as university programs.

It's okay to be nervous. It's a good motivator and keeps you on the lookout for potential speed-bumps along the way. Just make sure you've done your research and plan, plan, plan.

Reactions: 1 user
New to this SDN thread. I'm a non-traditional student (currently 35) and have an interview coming up in a few weeks. I've read from people on here that interviews for SGU are fairly low key but was wondering if anyone would be willing to go into interview specifics?

I met with an exhausted PGY3 resident at about 9:30pm in a hospital lounge. We chatted for about 20 minutes, discussed my educational background, why I wanted to go into medicine, and why I chose SGU. He told me a bit about the island and what sort of things to expect. He had me write a 1 page essay on "an important topic in medicine", gave me about 25 minutes while he dozed in a chair. Afterwards we discussed it for maybe 15-20 minutes, and then he bought me a cup of coffee. All in all 9/10, would interview again (I took away a point because the coffee was stale).

Also, out of interviews, how many are accepted?

The vast majority. I wouldn't say it's a formality....but it's essentially a formality.

Disclaimer: This was 4 years ago. Things may have changed.

I'm applying for psychiatry. When I started SGU I was dead-set on EM, then in 3rd year I fell in love with Psych and IM during my clerkships. I was really torn between them until about a week before ERAS applications were due, but after a lot of soul-searching I think I will be happier in psych, and it fits my personality and long-term goals better. So far the Match has gone fine, I'm reluctant to discuss the specific details until after Match Day, though. I will say that I've had interviews at both small and large community hospitals as well as university programs.

It's okay to be nervous. It's a good motivator and keeps you on the lookout for potential speed-bumps along the way. Just make sure you've done your research and plan, plan, plan.

Ben,
Thanks a lot for the quick response. I really appreciate it. I've read a lot of your posts as well as the older Ross graduate that is an anesthesiologist.
I'm a prior service Navy Corpsman with the Marine Corps so at least as of now am also pretty set on an EM residency, and in looking at the SGU matches from last year, it looks like quite a few people matched to good EM residencies. Do you foresee this staying the same with DO's taking a significant amount of available billets?

Members don't see this ad :)
New to this SDN thread. I'm a non-traditional student (currently 35) and have an interview coming up in a few weeks. I've read from people on here that interviews for SGU are fairly low key but was wondering if anyone would be willing to go into interview specifics? Also, out of interviews, how many are accepted?
Hey there, I'm also non-trad student married with two kids, 6 and 3 and have started a blog about the interview I had.
Www.marriedandcaribbeanmedstudent.blogspot.com
Hope it helps!

Ben,
Thanks a lot for the quick response. I really appreciate it. I've read a lot of your posts as well as the older Ross graduate that is an anesthesiologist.
I'm a prior service Navy Corpsman with the Marine Corps so at least as of now am also pretty set on an EM residency, and in looking at the SGU matches from last year, it looks like quite a few people matched to good EM residencies. Do you foresee this staying the same with DO's taking a significant amount of available billets?

Part of it is just a numbers game. SGU graduates a ton of physicians each year (I think my graduating class is roughly 1,000 students and they've only gotten larger since then). With that many students, you're bound to see a lot of people make it into good residencies. Recently, it seems like the school is starting to shift its focus towards quality and away from quantity. They are cracking down on poor performers, limiting decels, and putting more emphasis on Step improvements.

As far as DO's taking up IMG spots... ehh I haven't really seen that to be the case. USMDs and DO's are competing against each other for higher-tiered programs more often than not, leaving low-tiered and community-based programs for IMGs and FMGs. I've seen more competition coming from FMGs that have already been in practice in their home countries for a few years. For example, I'm at a crap inner-city community hospital right now, but the average intern Step 1/2 scores are in the 240's and they've all been practicing physicians for 2-10 years. They're excellent foreign physicians trying to break into the US. Those are much stiffer competition, as they're also applying to those same low-tiered community programs as freshly-graduated IMGs and FMGs.

Reactions: 1 users
Part of it is just a numbers game. SGU graduates a ton of physicians each year (I think my graduating class is roughly 1,000 students and they've only gotten larger since then). With that many students, you're bound to see a lot of people make it into good residencies. Recently, it seems like the school is starting to shift its focus towards quality and away from quantity. They are cracking down on poor performers, limiting decels, and putting more emphasis on Step improvements.

As far as DO's taking up IMG spots... ehh I haven't really seen that to be the case. USMDs and DO's are competing against each other for higher-tiered programs more often than not, leaving low-tiered and community-based programs for IMGs and FMGs. I've seen more competition coming from FMGs that have already been in practice in their home countries for a few years. For example, I'm at a crap inner-city community hospital right now, but the average intern Step 1/2 scores are in the 240's and they've all been practicing physicians for 2-10 years. They're excellent foreign physicians trying to break into the US. Those are much stiffer competition, as they're also applying to those same low-tiered community programs as freshly-graduated IMGs and FMGs.

Would you ultimately recommend going or waiting a year and doing AMCAS/ACOMAS?

Would you ultimately recommend going or waiting a year and doing AMCAS/ACOMAS?

Absolutely wait a year. If you're a borderline applicant it is infinitely better to wait, especially if you're aiming towards a more competitive specialty like EM (fierce competition the last 3-4 years). Also, since you're like me and non-trad, you really need to consider your total cost and payback plan. SGU's total cost will be at least double that of most US schools. If you're 35, you'll be ~43 by the time you finish your residency, leaving you about 20 years total time to practice. That can make retirement planning really difficult.

If you have a chance of getting into a USMD or DO program, it is worth waiting a year or two. Save the Caribbean as your last resort.

Also, you mentioned your prior military service earlier: You should investigate some payback programs and MD officer training, you might be able to get a significant portion of your tuition paid for and guarantee yourself a residency if you attend a US medical school. Not so if you go to the Caribbean.

Absolutely wait a year. If you're a borderline applicant it is infinitely better to wait, especially if you're aiming towards a more competitive specialty like EM (fierce competition the last 3-4 years). Also, since you're like me and non-trad, you really need to consider your total cost and payback plan. SGU's total cost will be at least double that of most US schools. If you're 35, you'll be ~43 by the time you finish your residency, leaving you about 20 years total time to practice. That can make retirement planning really difficult.

If you have a chance of getting into a USMD or DO program, it is worth waiting a year or two. Save the Caribbean as your last resort.

Also, you mentioned your prior military service earlier: You should investigate some payback programs and MD officer training, you might be able to get a significant portion of your tuition paid for and guarantee yourself a residency if you attend a US medical school. Not so if you go to the Caribbean.

Ok, so if you don't mind me asking, what lead you to go to SGU versus waiting and trying to go DO/MD?

Ok, so if you don't mind me asking, what lead you to go to SGU versus waiting and trying to go DO/MD?

A combination of my own poor decisions leading up to medical school, terrible information from my academic adviser, and lack of information about the entire process of medical education. I've talked about my story in some past posts, but the gist is that I had MCAT and GPA suitable for low-tier USMD programs but I wasted 2 cycles applying inefficiently and being lazy with my secondaries so I ended up wait-listed two years in a row. Instead of taking the advice I'm giving you now, I applied to SGU at the end of the 2nd failed cycle and got accepted. I don't regret my decision, but I have several close friends that have gone through both USMD and DO programs and our experiences have been wildly different. Your path to physician-hood will be undeniably easier if you go to a US program.

A combination of my own poor decisions leading up to medical school, terrible information from my academic adviser, and lack of information about the entire process of medical education. I've talked about my story in some past posts, but the gist is that I had MCAT and GPA suitable for low-tier USMD programs but I wasted 2 cycles applying inefficiently and being lazy with my secondaries so I ended up wait-listed two years in a row. Instead of taking the advice I'm giving you now, I applied to SGU at the end of the 2nd failed cycle and got accepted. I don't regret my decision, but I have several close friends that have gone through both USMD and DO programs and our experiences have been wildly different. Your path to physician-hood will be undeniably easier if you go to a US program.

Thanks Ben.

I just talked to a Peds resident today and she wanted to go to SGU because of her interests in Global medicine. That there are docs from all over the world that teach at SGU that provide what she was looking for. She said they receive thousands of applications, 30% get accepted, which turns out to be about 1 in 3/4 people get in. She also said the experience alone is amazing, you will get exceptional education and step scores are higher than US schools (which is important to me). She also said that if you do well, are good with people are passionate about medicine, you will have nothing to worry about come match day. 88% of graduates get matched compared to 92% of US students. It's not too far off. I am still waiting on some other schools for an interview but I am having a strong pull towards SGU.

I just talked to a Peds resident today and she wanted to go to SGU because of her interests in Global medicine. That there are docs from all over the world that teach at SGU that provide what she was looking for. She said they receive thousands of applications, 30% get accepted, which turns out to be about 1 in 3/4 people get in. She also said the experience alone is amazing, you will get exceptional education and step scores are higher than US schools (which is important to me). She also said that if you do well, are good with people are passionate about medicine, you will have nothing to worry about come match day. 88% of graduates get matched compared to 92% of US students. It's not too far off. I am still waiting on some other schools for an interview but I am having a strong pull towards SGU.
Only the most seriously ill informed applicant would want to go to an offshore medical school (interest in Global medicine or not). The unfortunate or mis-informed are left with this as their only option. Your resident has no way of knowing the actual number of applications or the acceptance rate. Self reported step scores by any school are unreliable, for the offshore schools they are entirely useless. Use the following reference to check out the actual Step scores for matched and unmatched IMG applicants. http://www.ecfmg.org/resources/NRMP...atch-International-Medical-Graduates-2014.pdf
As for matching, take a look at Grenada on Chart 15. I wonder what happened to the other half of the class that was admitted with them?

Only the most seriously ill informed applicant would want to go to an offshore medical school (interest in Global medicine or not). The unfortunate or mis-informed are left with this as their only option. Your resident has no way of knowing the actual number of applications or the acceptance rate. Self reported step scores by any school are unreliable, for the offshore schools they are entirely useless. Use the following reference to check out the actual Step scores for matched and unmatched IMG applicants. http://www.ecfmg.org/resources/NRMP...atch-International-Medical-Graduates-2014.pdf
As for matching, take a look at Grenada on Chart 15. I wonder what happened to the other half of the class that was admitted with them?
There are 2 things everyone needs to keep in mind with IMG match data, that aren't readily apparent. 1) The match numbers for IMGs include re applicants which makes the data look worse than it is(US schools only count first time applicants) 2) the data doesn't include attrition which makes it look better than it is. Ultimately coming from a school like SGU you will match somewhere if you survive attrition do well on USMLEs and apply broadly and realistically. However a lot of people delude themselves into thinking they will be the ones to do that when they have no track record of doing well in school or on standardized tests.

There are 2 things everyone needs to keep in mind with IMG match data, that aren't readily apparent. 1) The match numbers include re applicants
That makes the NRMP data even scarier. The number allowed to take Step 1 (per class) would be even lower than what would be estimated by this data.

Dropped out for wthatever reason, which happens.

That makes the NRMP data even scarier. The number allowed to take Step 1 (per class) would be even lower than what would be estimated by this data.
I agree contrary to popular belief on this forum the major obstacle from a school like SGU is making it to the match moreso than the match itself.

Attrition at US schools is less than 3%.
How do you explain such a dramatic difference?

Number of students accepted are much larger at SGU than US schools. If this is my chance to be an MD then I'm taking it. I'm not going to let myself get down because of statistics. I'm aware of the challenges. I see this as a wonderful opportunity and I'm happy I got in. Yes it will be very challenging, yes the odds are against me. But if you knew what I have been through, I shouldn't even be alive. The statistical odds have always been against me my whole life so this isn't any different. To each their own.

Reactions: 2 users
Go look up the definition of "magic thinking".

Number of students accepted are much larger at SGU than US schools. If this is my chance to be an MD then I'm taking it. I'm not going to let myself get down because of statistics. I'm aware of the challenges. I see this as a wonderful opportunity and I'm happy I got in. Yes it will be very challenging, yes the odds are against me. But if you knew what I have been through, I shouldn't even be alive. The statistical odds have always been against me my whole life so this isn't any different. To each their own.

I'm so sorry.

Reactions: 3 users
Attrition at US schools is less than 3%.
How do you explain such a dramatic difference?
Easily the overall quality of students. Everybody at a U.S. school belongs there. The Caribbean schools accept a ton of people who do belong in medicine, they also accept a ton who do not.

Easily the overall quality of students. Everybody at a U.S. school belongs there. The Caribbean schools accept a ton of people who do belong in medicine, they also accept a ton who do not.

And they still have to repay those loans.

A lack of critical thinking, desperation and gullibility are phenotypes of people who go to Carib schools. The other differentials aren't pretty, either.
These traits are that these diploma mills prey upon.

A lack of critical thinking, desperation and gullibility are phenotypes of people who spend their time posting on an anonymous internet message board for a profession they are not even a part of
fixed that for ya

Seriously.... what's up with these post with so much hate for the Caribbean schools???? Is it not already proven that you can still succeed by going through the Caribbean route?? I've met or heard of plenty of doctors who are practicing that went to the Caribbeans...

Seriously.... what's up with these post with so much hate for the Caribbean schools???? Is it not already proven that you can still succeed by going through the Caribbean route?? I've met or heard of plenty of doctors who are practicing that went to the Caribbeans...
Yes, but people seem to cling on to the relatively few that do make it and not on the large amount that don't.

Think about it this way: everyone that chooses the Caribbean after doing poorly in undergrad thinks "I'll be different, I'll work harder than everyone else, I'll study more, etc". Everyone thinks that, yet a large amount of people fail.

This is just the reality of the situation. It's not "hate" toward the Caribbean, it's simply the truth. Overall it is a gamble. You are gambling years of your life and a large sum of money for a barely passable "maybe".

Can you succeed? Yes, it's possible, but it is not probable.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Yes, but people seem to cling on to the relatively few that do make it and not on the large amount that don't.

Think about it this way: everyone that chooses the Caribbean after doing poorly in undergrad thinks "I'll be different, I'll work harder than everyone else, I'll study more, etc". Everyone thinks that, yet a large amount of people fail.

This is just the reality of the situation. It's not "hate" toward the Caribbean, it's simply the truth. Overall it is a gamble. You are gambling years of your life and a large sum of money for a barely passable "maybe".

Can you succeed? Yes, it's possible, but it is not probable.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Actually, at Ross and SGU it is probable. From my experience at Ross graduating in 2014, it is ~70% of those who start will eventually match into residency. I'm in no way disregarding those 30% that fail, but you and others make it seem like the majority fail out, which is just blatantly not true. As has been said before, Ross/SGU accept many people that belong in medicine, but they also accept many that do not.

Actually, at Ross and SGU it is probable. From my experience at Ross graduating in 2014, it is ~70% of those who start will eventually match into residency. I'm in no way disregarding those 30% that fail, but you and others make it seem like the majority fail out, which is just blatantly not true. As has been said before, Ross/SGU accept many people that belong in medicine, but they also accept many that do not.
Would be nice to see this as a stat and not as hearsay. Ross on their website states 88% residency match. now if you take into account of the reported 15-20% attrition after each semester, i don't believe your stated 70% match rate adds up

Would be nice to see this as a stat and not as hearsay. Ross on their website states 88% residency match. now if you take into account of the reported 15-20% attrition after each semester, i don't believe your stated 70% match rate adds up
the "reported" 15-20% attrition after each semester is wildly inflated. Not sure where this is "reported." In my class, it was 20-25% attrition total over the first 4 semesters (when everyone fails out, no one fails out during the clinical semesters). The ~70% is correct according to the number of people who started my year and how many people matched.

Applied beginning of Sept 2015
Interviewed 1/8/16
Accepted 1/26/16

Very excited, but uncertain, scared and nervous. I have a husband, kids, house and dogs. Have a lot of planning to do in a short amount of time. Looking to sell the house, looking for private schooling for my 14 yr old, house to rent, car to buy, lottery numbers to win? ;)
Very much looking forward to the experience of living there. I have a friend that's doing his rotations now and a soon-to-be cousin that just graduated from surgical residency that went there. I hear nothing but great things.

hi , congratulations on your acceptance to Sgu Som .

I see your admission process took a while, I was hoping too see what you did between submitting your application and being invited to an interview. Did you have to call to at least keep checking.

I submitted mine late November and at the moment my counselor says it's still in review with the committee. Though I was asked to submit a confidential financial statement form about 3weeks ago before an initial decision could be issued. It just seems to be taking longer than they claim it would before I applied

hi , congratulations on your acceptance to Sgu Som .

I see your admission process took a while, I was hoping too see what you did between submitting your application and being invited to an interview. Did you have to call to at least keep checking.

I submitted mine late November and at the moment my counselor says it's still in review with the committee. Though I was asked to submit a confidential financial statement form about 3weeks ago before an initial decision could be issued. It just seems to be taking longer than they claim it would before I applied

They called and offered January entering class but I wasn't ready at that point because I wanted to see what happened with US schools. I didn't call to follow up also because of that reason. Calling won't speed up the process. If it's in review, there's not much you can do but wait. Best of luck!

They called and offered January entering class but I wasn't ready at that point because I wanted to see what happened with US schools. I didn't call to follow up also because of that reason. Calling won't speed up the process. If it's in review, there's not much you can do but wait. Best of luck!
Thank you so much, I will continue to wait as you have mentioned.

Again, congrats on your acceptance

That doesn't explain about those who come from US schools with similar averages. KYCOM has an average MCAT of 24, but still graduates almost all of its students. There average class size in the past was 75 and pretty much the majority of the class placed (the lowest number being 62 or 83% when attrition is factored in, they have also claimed a 100% placement as well).

http://upike.edu/Colleges/KYCOM/prospective (under student performance)

Most caribbean schools have averages around 24-26, but when you factor in attrition and non-placement their best placement year will not match KYCOM's worst placement year.

Last edited:
I have a question about the Global Scholars Program. I went to one of those SGU presentations in my city and really liked the sounds of this program and the opportunity to live in the UK for 1 year. How is this program? facilities? anatomy teaching?
I'm starting to seriously consider SGU - I was really put off by going to the Carib for some time but realizing now that I have very slim chances in North America with an average GPA and MCAT score. There are just way too many students with better stats than me.

I have a question about the Global Scholars Program. I went to one of those SGU presentations in my city and really liked the sounds of this program and the opportunity to live in the UK for 1 year. How is this program? facilities? anatomy teaching?
I'm starting to seriously consider SGU - I was really put off by going to the Carib for some time but realizing now that I have very slim chances in North America with an average GPA and MCAT score. There are just way too many students with better stats than me.

It's an excellent program if you can swing the additional cost. The class size is smaller, around 100 people versus the 800 or so you would be with on the island. It makes getting through the program quite a bit easier as you will have access to a number of amenities in the UK that you won't have in Grenada. The teaching is done largely by the same professors, they travel back and forth throughout the term. The facilities are much nicer than what you will find on Grenada, but that isn't saying much.

Of note, you cannot do your 3rd or 4th term rotations in New Jersey if you go the KBT route, due to legal wording.

If you have average MCAT and GPA scores you should consider a DO program before committing to SGU. You will have an easier time of it.

Hi! Im Jamaican and I did my interview today. I won't say it was laid back in the fullest sensecof the word, but I was prepared, so it wasn't too difficult. I did have the jitters however. My first task was to choose one essay out if three to write about in a 10 minute period. My interviewer wasn't too meticulous about the timing so I finished in good time without feeling too stressed. I don't remember all three, but the one u did was "Who is the most influencial person in your life?"
Following this I was asked about a range of topics: why I chose my particular undergrad degree, why I want to be a doctor, what are some of the ethical dilemmas that pervade medicine currently. I was asked to speak on my volunteerism and also about my financial plan for school. Just review typical med school interview questions and you should be fine.... I hope to hear back with sone good news soon! My interviewer said it could be as early as next week, but its based on how early he gets his documentation in. Hope it helps!

That doesn't explain about those who come from US schools with similar averages. KYCOM has an average MCAT of 24, but still graduates almost all of its students. There average class size in the past was 75 and pretty much the majority of the class placed (the lowest number being 62 or 83% when attrition is factored in, they have also claimed a 100% placement as well).

http://upike.edu/Colleges/KYCOM/prospective (under student performance)

It is generally understood that when someone refers to the "quality" of a US Medical School graduate, they are referring to Allopathic schools.

This is nothing to knock on Osteopathic schools, as some of them are certainly of comparable quality to their Allopathic counterparts, but the range of quality of the students is definitely wider across the field as a whole. This is most likely due to the slightly lower standards for admissions versus allopathic schools on average, as in the example you have given above.

It is generally understood that when someone refers to the "quality" of a US Medical School graduate, they are referring to Allopathic schools.

This is nothing to knock on Osteopathic schools, as some of them are certainly of comparable quality to their Allopathic counterparts, but the range of quality of the students is definitely wider across the field as a whole. This is most likely due to the slightly lower standards for admissions versus allopathic schools on average, as in the example you have given above.

My point is more to say that US schools, including osteopathic ones, try to retain their students more so than caribbean schools. In addition, a red flag from a osteopathic student hurts them less than a red flag from a Caribbean student when matching (part of which is technically due to the osteopathic match). This is why we tell them to go DO. That 83% represents probably represents one of the lowest floors amongst classes in osteopathic schools (all the other years for KYCOM were in the 90s who started from M1 and placed into a residency). The only caribbean school that comes closest is SGU with an average MCAT of 26 (I am not talking about matching alone, but also attrition combined).

Also, the quality level of osteopathic students is not simply because of their grades and MCAT scores. It is because of the variability of clinical rotations amongst schools, this is why there is a bias against osteopathic schools amongst PDs of competitive ACGME programs. A large chunk of osteopathic schools use preceptor based rotations and so those osteopathic students are not used to the residency structure that allopathic students are. This is really the reason for the differences in quality of the match lists.

This isn't a thread about DO vs Allo or US vs Caribbean. It was created to find other people in SGUSOM August 2016 entering class. Perhaps you can conduct your arguments in a different place? Anyways I'm hoping to start in August at SGU. I haven't received my acceptance letter yet though.