SGU Charter Foundation Program Jan 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

griffey3031

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, haven't seen any posts about this program in a few years so I figured I'd start a new one. I am being interviewed for the Charter Foundation Program at St. Georges and had a few questions for anybody who has been through this program or is knowledgeable about it:

-How rigorous are the classes?
-For someone who was a science major, will these classes still be a struggle?
-How time intensive is it? Close to actual medical school?
-Is it hard to keep a 3.5 GPA in this program?
-How hard is the PMSCE test? Easier then the MCAT?

Can't think of anything else at the moment but I would appreciate some helpful responses!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, haven't seen any posts about this program in a few years so I figured I'd start a new one. I am being interviewed for the Charter Foundation Program at St. Georges and had a few questions for anybody who has been through this program or is knowledgeable about it:

Can't think of anything else at the moment but I would appreciate some helpful responses!

I don't know what this is but it has a Caribbean school name so I'm going to go ahead and tell you with 100% confidence it's a a terrible idea.

Members don't see this ad :)

It is all relative. What was your UG GPA and MCAT? Have you asked these questions to the school rep? I have a friend who graduated from SGU and working as a pulmunologist. He is very happy BUT he strongly suggests staying away from Carribbean schools at the same time. He says they should be your last resort.

Are you a high school student applying to this program? If so, I'd reconsider if I were you.

sounds like something you should run away from. Anything associated with off-shore medical schools should be looked at as a last resort (ideally, you would pursue another career if you can't get into a USMD or US DO, but some people are just plain stubborn/stupid).

Im in CFP (one month left) and it is harder than i expected but still on par with undergrad courses. The classes you take ARE undergrad courses and pre-med students will be in there with you. 85% of students make it through (as per what they told us at orientation) and they pay you back if you fail... they don't want you to fail. Im not sure how accurate the 85% is but in our class of ~100 only a couple people left and we have one month left. Im sure many people need to do well on the finals to make the cut but in all honesty I think if you get a 3.3+ they let you move on.

That being said they do a really good job about getting you into gear by scaring you during orientation with how hard it is. The most surprising thing for me was how hard everyone works. I was expecting more slackers but everyone works hard. Reason being people want the opportunity and there is nothing else to do. You are surrounded by it ... so you kind of have to. Its not like you can go with your non med slacker friends and party like crazy.

Courses:

1) anatomy - hardest. Actually anatomy is easy but embryo, histo, physio, that go alongside is a lot. The questions they ask make this the hardest course along with being unclear with exactly what you need to know.

2) physio - mid difficulty. Tricky because you only have 2 exams (mid / final). Causes stress during midterms. Really not bad at all though so far.

3) biochem - typical undergrad biochem course. No tricks or anything. Hard but fair. Learn what they teach and you will do fine.

4) molecular bio - learn the handouts and you will do well.

5) Abnormal Psychology - arguably the easiest but the tests aren't easy. In terms of study time this is the least involved but you have to know your stuff well to get an A.

6) Learning Strategies - everyone gets an A. I learned some helpful things but this class does take 2 hours a week which gets annoying. You have to show up to get credit.

There are these review sessions called SL / DES. They are every week in the main 5 courses. You go over stuff in class. Some people enjoy them ( I don't) but they take attendance. If you get that 3.4 at the end they look at the attendance... So most people don't take the risk until they are comfortable with their grades.

Books: In retrospect you can probably get above 3.5 with no books but I don't think thats a smart risk.

1) anatomy: Principles of Human Anatomy by Tortora / Nielsen (has a sphenoid bone on cover) get the book. I couldn't find this one used when I needed it so I had to pay for it new. People complain about bookstore prices but I found them quite reasonable compared to what I paid at my university in the US. This is the most expensive book and it was about 120 US so perhaps find this one in the US if you can... To cover what they tell you to cover ... you need this book. Either way its good prep for term 1 to use it. It is a good book.

2) physio: Human Physiology an integrated approach by silverthorn. Once again I advise this book. The lecture notes in this class don't explain much so the book i found very helpful. I got this book from an upper termer for cheap.

3) molecular : don't get the book. Everything is in slides. I don't know of anyone who even has it.

4) ab psych : don't get it.

5) biochem : you can do fine with or without it. Good lecture notes so you don't need it. The book is good though and pretty much is exactly like the lecture notes. They use the same book in term 1 so you can find it very cheap on the island in abundance.

For the Gunnaz!! If you want to study something I would go through the bones and major muscles. Will make life easier.

Overall it is a good program that does a good job in preparing students for term 1. I think the majority do well in term 1. A lot of term 1 students really get blasted by the pace and mess up. Knowing life in grenada and having a solid foundation in biochem / anatomy really can make life easier. You have time during the semester so you can do things like explore the island or go to the beach. Term 1 picks up really fast but the CFP'ers have that mental edge.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I've been told, I think it's a great program, integrates you well into the med school curriculum.

And all these people hating on the Caribbean are nuts, they don't know firsthand about the experience. I know a couple dozen people who have successfully matched and have great practices after completing their medical education at St. George's and Ross. Getting residency is tough but if you can't study hard and do well on the boards, then you might as well not go. I am going to a US med school, but all these ppl hating on the Caribbean are jokes, they are just bitter that people who do their education there can come back and practice like US students.

From what I've been told, I think it's a great program, integrates you well into the med school curriculum.

And all these people hating on the Caribbean are nuts, they don't know firsthand about the experience. I know a couple dozen people who have successfully matched and have great practices after completing their medical education at St. George's and Ross. Getting residency is tough but if you can't study hard and do well on the boards, then you might as well not go. I am going to a US med school, but all these ppl hating on the Caribbean are jokes, they are just bitter that people who do their education there can come back and practice like US students.
Couldn't have said it better. Do well on the steps and get good grades at either one of these 2 schools and you will not have any issues matching.

Im in CFP (one month left) and it is harder than i expected but still on par with undergrad courses. The classes you take ARE undergrad courses and pre-med students will be in there with you. 85% of students make it through (as per what they told us at orientation) and they pay you back if you fail... they don't want you to fail. Im not sure how accurate the 85% is but in our class of ~100 only a couple people left and we have one month left. Im sure many people need to do well on the finals to make the cut but in all honesty I think if you get a 3.3+ they let you move on.

That being said they do a really good job about getting you into gear by scaring you during orientation with how hard it is. The most surprising thing for me was how hard everyone works. I was expecting more slackers but everyone works hard. Reason being people want the opportunity and there is nothing else to do. You are surrounded by it ... so you kind of have to. Its not like you can go with your non med slacker friends and party like crazy.

Courses:

1) anatomy - hardest. Actually anatomy is easy but embryo, histo, physio, that go alongside is a lot. The questions they ask make this the hardest course along with being unclear with exactly what you need to know.

2) physio - mid difficulty. Tricky because you only have 2 exams (mid / final). Causes stress during midterms. Really not bad at all though so far.

3) biochem - typical undergrad biochem course. No tricks or anything. Hard but fair. Learn what they teach and you will do fine.

4) molecular bio - learn the handouts and you will do well.

5) Abnormal Psychology - arguably the easiest but the tests aren't easy. In terms of study time this is the least involved but you have to know your stuff well to get an A.

6) Learning Strategies - everyone gets an A. I learned some helpful things but this class does take 2 hours a week which gets annoying. You have to show up to get credit.

There are these review sessions called SL / DES. They are every week in the main 5 courses. You go over stuff in class. Some people enjoy them ( I don't) but they take attendance. If you get that 3.4 at the end they look at the attendance... So most people don't take the risk until they are comfortable with their grades.

Books: In retrospect you can probably get above 3.5 with no books but I don't think thats a smart risk.

1) anatomy: Principles of Human Anatomy by Tortora / Nielsen (has a sphenoid bone on cover) get the book. I couldn't find this one used when I needed it so I had to pay for it new. People complain about bookstore prices but I found them quite reasonable compared to what I paid at my university in the US. This is the most expensive book and it was about 120 US so perhaps find this one in the US if you can... To cover what they tell you to cover ... you need this book. Either way its good prep for term 1 to use it. It is a good book.

2) physio: Human Physiology an integrated approach by silverthorn. Once again I advise this book. The lecture notes in this class don't explain much so the book i found very helpful. I got this book from an upper termer for cheap.

3) molecular : don't get the book. Everything is in slides. I don't know of anyone who even has it.

4) ab psych : don't get it.

5) biochem : you can do fine with or without it. Good lecture notes so you don't need it. The book is good though and pretty much is exactly like the lecture notes. They use the same book in term 1 so you can find it very cheap on the island in abundance.

For the Gunnaz!! If you want to study something I would go through the bones and major muscles. Will make life easier.

Overall it is a good program that does a good job in preparing students for term 1. I think the majority do well in term 1. A lot of term 1 students really get blasted by the pace and mess up. Knowing life in grenada and having a solid foundation in biochem / anatomy really can make life easier. You have time during the semester so you can do things like explore the island or go to the beach. Term 1 picks up really fast but the CFP'ers have that mental edge.
What's the name of the biochem book?

If you guys are using the same biochem book in term 1 and you say that biochem in CFP is like undergrad biochem then what's the difference between CFP and term 1 biochem?

I thought biochem in term 1 was medical biochem. Shouldn't they be different?

:laugh: Are you serious? I am not going to call you stupid. There are thousands of MDs who graduated from foreign schools and they are very successful. If one wishes to become a doctor and cannot get in in USA, I admire his perseverance going thru a foreign medical school and coming back and rocking the residency.

Giving advice that it is a risky route as a last resort is understandable. Calling them stupid and stubborn is clownish and reflective of a bad character. Carry on Bro! :laugh:

The problem is you don't understand the whole picture of what is currently happening.

1) Yes, thousands of foreign grads in the 1990s and 2000s matched into residencies in the US.

2) In the past few years the AAMC has decided to stop the vast majority of foreign grads. They are doing this by increasing US med school enrollment so:
# of US Med students = # of US residencies
This means very very few foreign grads will match in the coming 2-5 years.

3) In simple terms, your chances of making it through a Caribbean school and matching was ~50%. For people starting at a Caribbean school now it is going to be less than 10% (I calculated this a few months ago).

In other words:
90% chance of failure
90% chance of 200K of debt that you can't get rid of in bankruptcy
90% chance of wasting 1-4 years of your life
90% chance of 4 years of lost income (from whatever other career you would do otherwise)

You have a better chance of getting heads 3 times in a row from a flipping a coin than making it through a Caribbean if you apply now.

The problem is you don't understand the whole picture of what is currently happening.

1) Yes, thousands of foreign grads in the 1990s and 2000s matched into residencies in the US.

2) In the past few years the AAMC has decided to stop the vast majority of foreign grads. They are doing this by increasing US med school enrollment so:
# of US Med students = # of US residencies
This means very very few foreign grads will match in the coming 2-5 years.

3) In simple terms, your chances of making it through a Caribbean school and matching was ~50%. For people starting at a Caribbean school now it is going to be less than 10% (I calculated this a few months ago).

In other words:
90% chance of failure
90% chance of 200K of debt that you can't get rid of in bankruptcy
90% chance of wasting 1-4 years of your life
90% chance of 4 years of lost income (from whatever other career you would do otherwise)

You have a better chance of getting heads 3 times in a row from a flipping a coin than making it through a Caribbean if you apply now.
I totally agree,though, if the "The Resident Physician Shortage Reduction and Graduate Medical Education Accountability and Transparency Act" (H.R. 6352) passes and goes into effect in the upcoming years, then you will see a lot of US IMGs and FMGs matching into primary care specialties period. Matching into IM, FM , and peds will be very easy for anyone. Also ,adding 15000 new residency slots by 2017, where the majority will be in primary care will most likely alleviate the whole doctor shortage the country is facing today, which is only going to get worse if we don't open more residency positions for our US seniors graduating each year.

Honestly, however, it's not going to go through because medicare funds any new residency positions and right now, obama care seems to have already cut it enough. It should be interesting to see if this, in fact, does go through.

In the meantime, aim for US MD OR US DO PERIOD.

http://schock.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=305910

http://www.hcpro.com/RES-283354-294...l-could-create-15000-new-residency-slots.html

http://schock.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=311055

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
sounds like something you should run away from. Anything associated with off-shore medical schools should be looked at as a last resort (ideally, you would pursue another career if you can't get into a USMD or US DO, but some people are just plain stubborn/stupid).

This, more or less. If you want to love in the US, you need to attend a US or Canadian program. Period. Residency programs are becoming increasingly competitive even for US grads

:laugh: Are you serious? I am not going to call you stupid. There are thousands of MDs who graduated from foreign schools and they are very successful. If one wishes to become a doctor and cannot get in in USA, I admire his perseverance going thru a foreign medical school and coming back and rocking the residency

Giving advice that it is a risky route as a last resort is understandable. Calling them stupid and stubborn is clownish and reflective of a bad character. Carry on Bro! :laugh:

While his post may have been somewhat poorly worded, his advice was spot on and frankly people who cannot find legitimate routes to become a physician but refuse to accept the opinion of people in that field ARE acting in a foolish, stubborn manner by not fixing their weaknesses and pursuing a legit route. Sometimes, your dreams are ultimately subject to the needs of others as well as your own limitations.

LDR; we can't all be physicians, sorry.

I totally agree,though, if the "The Resident Physician Shortage Reduction and Graduate Medical Education Accountability and Transparency Act" (H.R. 6352) passes and goes into effect in the upcoming years, then you will see a lot of US IMGs and FMGs matching into primary care specialties period. Matching into IM, FM , and peds will be very easy for anyone. Also ,adding 15000 new residency slots by 2017, where the majority will be in primary care will most likely alleviate the whole doctor shortage the country is facing today, which is only going to get worse if we don't open more residency positions for our US seniors graduating each year.

Honestly, however, it's not going to go through because medicare funds any new residency positions and right now, obama care seems to have already cut it enough. It should be interesting to see if this, in fact, does go through.

http://www.hcpro.com/RES-283354-294...l-could-create-15000-new-residency-slots.html

Right but that is unlikely to go through.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/hr6352

This website is giving it a 3% chance of it becoming law.

And as you already mentioned, Obama/congress already has tried to cut medicare (which would have reduced the number of residencies, not increased them).

How much is the foundations program? Unless it's extremely cheap (which I'm sure it isn't), why not stay stateside, apply to an established SMP and then apply to a US med school from there? As other posters have said, divorce yourself from attending medical school in the Carribbean. It's a stupid idea.

:laugh: Are you serious? I am not going to call you stupid. There are thousands of MDs who graduated from foreign schools and they are very successful. If one wishes to become a doctor and cannot get in in USA, I admire his perseverance going thru a foreign medical school and coming back and rocking the residency.

it IS stupid and stubborn. just because it works sometimes doesn't make it not so

What's the name of the biochem book?

If you guys are using the same biochem book in term 1 and you say that biochem in CFP is like undergrad biochem then what's the difference between CFP and term 1 biochem?

I thought biochem in term 1 was medical biochem. Shouldn't they be different?

I was referring mainly to the difficulty level more than actual content. We use lippincotts like many med schools do. In term 1 you also use mark's. CFP biochem is more clinically related than your standard undergrad biochem but the emphasis is still on the major pathways. In med school the emphasis is more on the clinical side.

The amount of carib bashing that goes on in these forums is sad. Every thread gets trashed. The worst part is ... the motivation behind it is so selfish, arrogant, and ignorant. To think that most of the people bashing carib schools do it to actually try and "help" those with few opportunities ... is foolishness. People do it to make themselves feel "superior." For some reason I would think there would be less of that in a profession geared towards helping those in need ... but who am i kidding. It is human nature.

I was referring mainly to the difficulty level more than actual content. We use lippincotts like many med schools do. In term 1 you also use mark's. CFP biochem is more clinically related than your standard undergrad biochem but the emphasis is still on the major pathways. In med school the emphasis is more on the clinical side.

The amount of carib bashing that goes on in these forums is sad. Every thread gets trashed. The worst part is ... the motivation behind it is so selfish, arrogant, and ignorant. To think that most of the people bashing carib schools do it to actually try and "help" those with few opportunities ... is foolishness. People do it to make themselves feel "superior." For some reason I would think there would be less of that in a profession geared towards helping those in need ... but who am i kidding. It is human nature.
Well said, you're wasting your time requesting any help from the MD forum when the word Carib is included in your question.I can't wait to read the comments from my response.

If that went through though more med school spots means it would be easier to get into US MD

Doesn't matter since this bill is not going through

50% chance of failure is a pretty huge risk. Is it really that high for Carrib schools?

Riiiight.... It's a matter of providing some guidance for people who are vulnerable to these conmen. Sorry if you've already been conned by Ross et al, but just because you were gullible doesn't mean you should make everyone else suffer the same fate that many from the Carib schools do. (And if you were one of the fortunate exceptions, congrats because you've earned it!)

Well said, you're wasting your time requesting any help from the MD forum when the word Carib is included in your question.I can't wait to read the comments from my response.

Why would someone want to do an SMP or Pre-Med program at a Carib school? That is just plain idiotic.

If that went through though more med school spots means it would be easier to get into US MD

Doesn't matter since this bill is not going through

50% chance of failure is a pretty huge risk. Is it really that high for Carrib schools?

Failure rate* is 48% if you go to Ross, which is widely regarded as the best of the Caribbean medical schools.

* Defined as 1 - [(# Graduating in 10 years)/(# Entering for given year) * (# Accepted to US Residency in a given year) / (# Graduates in a given year)] -- cannot use # applicants to residency b/c Ross is known to skew this by preventing weak students from applying even though they were allowed to graduate

Riiiight.... It's a matter of providing some guidance for people who are vulnerable to these conmen. Sorry if you've already been conned by Ross et al, but just because you were gullible doesn't mean you should make everyone else suffer the same fate that many from the Carib schools do. (And if you were one of the fortunate exceptions, congrats because you've earned it!)

Why would someone want to do an SMP or Pre-Med program at a Carib school? That is just plain idiotic.

You don't know anything about me so save your judgements for your future patients. I never supported the caribbean in this thread but you are too caught up with carib bashing to realize that. I was providing info from personal experience when someone asked a question in hopes of informing them. You are here for an entirely different reason.

Providing useful guidance would require experience and/or knowledge. And by knowledge I don't mean what you read on SDN from other carib bashers. And experience doesn't mean getting into a US med school. Experience would mean going to a carib school and succeeding, failing, transferring, etc.

There is valuable info here from people who have succeeded in the carib and those who failed if you really take the time to dig through the crud. I did plenty research before making my "gullible" decision to go to SGU. I contacted over 10 residents in a variety of specialties and got first hand answers to my questions. Not to mention my cousin is currently doing a gen surgery residency from SGU.

~40% of people fail not because the school is trying to screw you ... but because people FAIL. SGU has many programs designed to monitor / assist students who are struggling. A lot for a school that is only "out to screw you."

SGU / Ross have lower admissions standards for a program that is on par with US medical programs. People that otherwise wouldn't get an opportunity now have a chance to perform at a level they most likely have never performed at. Naturally many people are unable to adapt but many people are. That is the reason behind the attrition. And the stats really are pretty good if you look at it like that. If you invest the effort that you should ... you will make it through. That is the message that my contacts gave me. They made it clear that they were not some rare "unicorn" who made it through the system. They were among many and you can look at match lists to confirm.

Before you take the step 1 you must take an "eligibility" exam. If you can't manage a passing score ... then you aren't able to take the official boards. It really doesn't matter because either way ... you won't match unless you study and pass.

kk, go to SGU. Not our problem if you have issues matching.

50% failure rate is too high I can't imagine all 50% of the class not being able to match into some psychiatry program as a last resort

You don't know anything about me so save your judgements for your future patients. I never supported the caribbean in this thread but you are too caught up with carib bashing to realize that. I was providing info from personal experience when someone asked a question in hopes of informing them. You are here for an entirely different reason.

Providing useful guidance would require experience and/or knowledge. And by knowledge I don't mean what you read on SDN from other carib bashers. And experience doesn't mean getting into a US med school. Experience would mean going to a carib school and succeeding, failing, transferring, etc.

There is valuable info here from people who have succeeded in the carib and those who failed if you really take the time to dig through the crud. I did plenty research before making my "gullible" decision to go to SGU. I contacted over 10 residents in a variety of specialties and got first hand answers to my questions. Not to mention my cousin is currently doing a gen surgery residency from SGU.

~40% of people fail not because the school is trying to screw you ... but because people FAIL. SGU has many programs designed to monitor / assist students who are struggling. A lot for a school that is only "out to screw you."

SGU / Ross have lower admissions standards for a program that is on par with US medical programs. People that otherwise wouldn't get an opportunity now have a chance to perform at a level they most likely have never performed at. Naturally many people are unable to adapt but many people are. That is the reason behind the attrition. And the stats really are pretty good if you look at it like that. If you invest the effort that you should ... you will make it through. That is the message that my contacts gave me. They made it clear that they were not some rare "unicorn" who made it through the system. They were among many and you can look at match lists to confirm.

Before you take the step 1 you must take an "eligibility" exam. If you can't manage a passing score ... then you aren't able to take the official boards. It really doesn't matter because either way ... you won't match unless you study and pass.

Uh, ok. Good luck with that, buddy. Sorry we all don't share your optimism.

50% failure rate is too high I can't imagine all 50% of the class not being able to match into some psychiatry program as a last resort

You're offending an awful lot of Psych PDs right now. Also, there are simply too few residency slots for the number of applicants and since hospitals are hiring you as a resident, they would rather have NO resident than one that is likely to cause harm by working there. The Carib residents that do match typically have ridiculous Step 1 scores if that is any indication....

The thing is though....40% is a frightening number for a last resort option. US schools work with people to make sure people don't fail. The school is always on your side, giving pre-clinical resources, helping with the Match, etc. They also don't teach to the boards, which I know doesn't happen at all places, but is concerning. Not to mention some highly questionable/laughable rotation experiences.

It's a gamble. If someone is willing to play with that hand and make it out alive, more power to them. However, at this specific time frame...it's scary to go overseas.

Has anyone recived any accurate feedback about the charter foundation program at sgu? Im thinking about accepting the invitation, however I have some questions.

How hard is it?
Is it a weed out program?
Out of 10 people, how many actually pass and move on?

If anyone is in or has been in this program, I would really appreciate some advice.