Shadowing a Med Student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QueenAudrey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
While researching post bac programs, I found one with a mandatory MEDPREP program in which you shadow a medical student for 3 hours every other week. Interesting, eh?

I could see how such an opportunity would be beneficial on a personal level (glimpse what it's really like to attend med school, form mentor relationships, etc.) but not for the sake of your application. Or am I wrong? Would you list med student shadowing on AMCAS?

Members don't see this ad.

For your sake I hope it's at least clinical students. I personally wouldn't list it, but I doubt it would make a difference either way
Apparently they're med students doing clinical rotations in the emergency department. I would definitely make sure to get at least 40 hours shadowing actual physicians on my own time. I just thought it was so odd!

Members don't see this ad :)
I did some shadowing with an academic team, which translated to rounding with a team and spending my spare time with medical students. It was by far one of my best clinical experiences since the med students tested their knowledge by answering all of my questions and I got a really good idea of the different levels of training. I feel like it's hard to know what you're really getting into when you're only interacting with a fully licensed physician.

Definitely get some physician shadowing, but don't knock the medical students!

Reactions: 3 users
I would feel so bad if anyone had to shadow me. My mind is all scattered when I am getting pimped or doing clinic stuff. Poor student!