Shadowing experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emailnumber

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
did anyone get in without shadowing any Pods? also do schools require you to have shadowed a Pod, and receive a rec from them?

Members don't see this ad.

did anyone get in without shadowing any Pods? also do schools require you to have shadowed a Pod, and receive a rec from them?

why wouldn't you shadow a Pod?

I have shadowed a podiatrist and it is the only way to go if you are thinking about being a podiatrist.

I also plan to shadow a podiatrist in Salt Lake City, UT that has done so well with poidatric surgery that he is well respected in the community for all foot and ankle surgeries. In fact he got so good at it that is all he does because alot of Orthopedic surgeons would rather he do the job than them.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is from the AZPod website under Admissions Requirements:
"A good understanding of podiatric medicine and a sincere interest in a career in the field. Candidates will not be accepted if they have not visited at least one podiatric practice. "
I dunno about any of the other schools.

Personally, I shadowed a podiatrist, and regardless of whether or not it is "required," I suggest that you do so anyhow. You are about to invest 4+ years of your life... you should at least experience the field first-hand.

hmmmn, how long is a typical shadowing experience?
I found a couple of podiatrists at the UCLA Medical Center and the Santa Monica-UCLA Hospital. But I have class everyday (M-Fri,and the weekends too!)... Thursdays I don't start class until 3:30 and on Friday I don't start until 2pm. So is it normal to go in from the morning to 3pm (if it's at the UCLA Medical Center since I'm right on campus)? I'm really not familiar with how Shadowing works. Do I just go in once or twice, or is it like every week, every other wk, once every month...?

Final question, when should I start contacting the physician since I won't be starting until at least after Jan. 6 (not in southern California right now)?

I'm thinking of making a few phone calls tomorrow to see if I can spend a day or two shadowing next wk in my hometown (if it's still not too late to call)

Thanks!

As a practicing podiatrist and someone who has had students in my office for shadowing, you should call the office a couple of weeks in advance so that the doctor can check the his/her schedule. You never know when there is a meeting or vacation that will take the doctor away from the office. That being said, you can shadow the doctor for as long as you want. I've had pre-med students shadow me for one day up to one month. So it is dependent on what you're looking to do and what the doctor is willing to put up with from you <just kidding>. :laugh:

AH... prob. why I haven't received a reply from my hometown podiatrists because I could only do this wk and just sent out emails last wk.

What's a good time frame to shadow? Second year is pretty early huh? I'm thinking more like summer b4 third year, yeah?
Plus I'll most likely have a car with me then so I can travel to various offices

Shadowing can be done at any time as long as it fits your schedule and works well for the DPM you choose to shadow. I just heard last week from a doctor who had just received a note from a student who shadowed in his office two years ago. The student sent an email indicated that he had just finished his first year at one of the colleges of podiatric medicine and he wanted to write to thank the DPM for giving him such great advice about getting into the profession. This happens all the time and it's one of the reasons why shadowing is so important.

Many students establish relationships with their "mentors" or those DPMs with whom they shadow that last throughout school and residency. Others just go in and spend a day. It's your call. Best of luck and happy holidays.

Thanks! I am going in on Wednesday actually. Just found out :)
Any tips would be greatly appreciated! (First experience)

Thanks! I am going in on Wednesday actually. Just found out :)
Any tips would be greatly appreciated! (First experience)

Remember that the primary focus is the patient and not you. Save your questions for later, when the doctor has down-time rather than interjecting them during the patient visit. Don't ask or tell the patient anything you think you know about their condition; ask the doctor later in private.

Thanks for the advice! How do you know when to leave? I know what time I am going in, but I don't know when to leave because that was never addressed. Well, I wouldn't mind staying long either :). I'm thinking of some quality questions to ask right now...

Thanks for the advice! How do you know when to leave? I know what time I am going in, but I don't know when to leave because that was never addressed. Well, I wouldn't mind staying long either :). I'm thinking of some quality questions to ask right now...

You're really under no obligation to be there (as far as that doctor is concerned) so leave whenever you feel like you've seen enough for the day -- leave in between patients, don't sprint out right in the middle of an exam. Chances are the doctor can work more efficiently without a student there, so don't be under the impression you're doing him or her any favors by being there. Many docs have a tight schedule and don't like to get behind, so be cognizant if you're slowing him or her down too much.

As far as questions go, ask what you genuinely want to know. Questions pertaining to work schedule, day-to-day routine, and the "nuts and bolts" of running a practice were my favorite questions.

Questions pertaining to actual pathology that you see in the office will be better explained in school, but if you really want to know, ask about it. Just don't make him or her explain every single patient (back to that thing about not slowing him or her down too much).

I've always found annoying "fluffy" questions such as, "Soooooooo what made you want to go into Podiatry?" or "Aren't feet amaaaaaaazing?" Try to be deeper than that.

Remember to say "thanks" and ask if it's okay to return tomorrow (or whenever you've arranged). Don't forget to dress appropriately. Jeans, t-shirt, flip-flops would not be appropriate.

I recall when I was a pre-pod I was shadowing a Podiatrist who did not have any Residency training (she was grandfathered into the hospital staff by being trained before the era of Residency requirements). She mentioned that she does a couple of basic surgical procedures, and I genuinely did not understand how that could be. I though one had to have Residency training to do surgery, so I inquired by saying, "How can you do surgery?" I should've chosen more tactful words because I ended up offending her. Whoops!

Although you shouldn't draw the focus away from the patient, remember that purpose of your presence there is to benefit you. Try to picture yourself doing what you're seeing and ask yourself if you could do that for a living for 30 years or so.

Let us know how it goes!

Nat

It was great! Even got to see a surgical procedure on a toe :) The patients were very welcoming too, which actually surprised me. Looking forward to this career!

I would like to write a thank you note... is it appropriate to send this via email or is the traditional way more appropraite?

It was great! Even got to see a surgical procedure on a toe :) The patients were very welcoming too, which actually surprised me. Looking forward to this career!

I would like to write a thank you note... is it appropriate to send this via email or is the traditional way more appropraite?

Terrific! I'm glad it went well. I think it's a great career.

I'd send a proper thank you card.

I enjoy having potential students shadow me. Just be appreciative. We wouldn't have you there if we didn't want you there. I have had a few students shadow me and one is actually a first year student in podiatry school.