Shadowing hours from 2015?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicesecrets

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have seen a few posts on here about lack of shadowing hours and what it can do to your app. I am in a similar position as I have no recent shadowing.. even now, despite my state opening up, the hospital I am volunteering at is still not allowing any physician shadowing. I have tried with two other hospitals/clinics, tried to cold-email (sometimes even cold-call) physician offices, and even asked my PCP but I still have nothing.

Unfortunately I cannot scribe because I work full time, and am taking post bacc classes.

In 2015 while I was pursuing my PhD, I spent one month at the University hospitals as an observer. Technically, I was observing for the clinical pharmacy team which includes Pharm D's, but every afternoon, we would join the main clinical team (physicians) on rotations. The attending doc would have the students/residents present each case to the whole team, we would go to patient rooms, and I've seen the docs discuss labs, Neuro scans and path reports.. I was hoping to list this experience down as a form of physician shadowing. To be conservative, I would only list the 60 hours that I followed the physician team on rotations, and not list the whole month that I was an observer.

Given these circumstances where no shadowing opportunities are open in my state, would it be ok to submit my app with a 2015 shadowing experience? Other stats - 4.0 gpa, 300+ hrs clinical and 500+ hours non-clinical volunteering.

Members don't see this ad.