Shadowing/volunteer work while in highschool

brinkleyw

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

This is my first post (other than my intro). Thanks again for letting me be part of this community :)

I’m currently a junior in highschool. However, I’ve been enrolled in a university since 2021. I’m going to graduate as a senior with my associates degree. Will any shadowing and/or volunteering that I do count on med school applications?

I know they don’t typically look at highschool extracurriculars. But I thought maybe because I’m technically a university student, it might make a difference.

Any thoughts? All are appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

If you plan to continue it when you start school, you can include it.

It does not mean you can avoid shadowing and getting clinical experience when you become a full-time college student though.

Reactions: 1 user
Anything that gets you insight is helpful. Some opportunities may open up once you graduate with your HS diploma. For applications, we will put more weight on what you have done more recently because we expect your agency as an adult will help you choose opportunities you are invested in.

Reactions: 1 user
Anything that gets you insight is helpful. Some opportunities may open up once you graduate with your HS diploma. For applications, we will put more weight on what you have done more recently because we expect your agency as an adult will help you choose opportunities you are invested in.
Would including it on the application do anything at all? Obviously I’ll continue volunteering in college, but would having a long history of shadowing physicians show my long term dedication to becoming a physician?