Shadowing/Volunteering/Interning

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Missserica

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I hope everyone is relieved that they're done with finals! (At least I am! Home sweet home!) Anyway, I am interested applying to optometry school for fall '06. I am sure optometry schools like applicants to have some field work, perhaps shadowing or volunteering. I was just wondering how does one go upon doing this type of field experience?

Also, does SUNY highly prefer NY residents?

Lastly, does anyone have advice or words of wisdom for a young woman who's anxious in applying and getting through o-chem!?!

Thanks,

Erica Tam

Members don't see this ad.

i asked dr. johnston, whose admissions of SUNY Opt. if NY residents are preffered over out of staters or if there is a certain quota that has to be of NY residents. he said no quota and applicants are looked the same regaurdless of where they are from. i guess the only diff is if your an out of stater the first yr tuition will be higher than the rest of your 3 yrs. so its just a matter of money in this case

There's plenty of non-ny residents at suny.

I know some are from Canada and California.

Members don't see this ad :)
is it possible to get instate tuition after first year if you're canadian?
ive heard yes and no from different ppl....i always thought that you couldnt...anyone know for sure?

acurael said:
is it possible to get instate tuition after first year if you're canadian?
ive heard yes and no from different ppl....i always thought that you couldnt...anyone know for sure?
You'd have to become a NY state resident, which would mean becoming a US citizen.