Shadowing: what to wear and how to document it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CW 2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everybody,

I am usually a lurker and I don't post much, but I enjoy reading this forum and I get a lot of good info from it. Just wanted to say THANK YOU to all nice and helpful people here!

Anyway, I'd like to ask a question.

I was given a chance to shadow a Pediatric Oncologist in a research hospital. This will be my first time shadowing.

My question is what to wear? Dark pants, dress shoes and a light-colored blouse? (I am a girl)
A pair of scrubs? (would be a lot more comfy + I can put a notepad and a pen there)
If scrubs are OK, what color? Light blue? I have some white ones at home...

I am not anywhere near the process of applying. This opportunity just came my way, and I didn't want to miss it. Is there a way I should document this shadowing? Should I get doctor's email to keep in touch, just in case I will need her to write a letter for me or sign something?

Any ideas will be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You will have to ask the doctor in question about what to wear. It will largely depend if you are going to see any patients. If in doubt, go with the dress clothes and take the scrubs with you.

I would definitely ask the doctor if it is okay for you to contact them again in the future if you need a letter or something. Of course, it depends how extensive the shadowing is.

Business-like attire is most likely to be appropriate, unless the doctor is also wearing scrubs. Asking is the best way to know for sure, or bring backup clothing as briton suggested.

Keep track of your own hours. Documentation is not necessary. You are unlikely to need a physician letter of recommendation in the allopathic application process. Having contact information: phone, email, or the office address, is nice to have on hand for your AMCAS Experiences entry.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have never seen an oncologist wear scrubs on the floor - that's usually the surgeons. Wear business attire. Oncologists are thinkers, not procedure oriented.

From what i've seen working in clinics, business casual is appropriate. Back in undergrad, I had to shadow a surgeon which meant spending the bulk of the morning and early afternoon in the OR, the OR provided the scrubs to wear. i wore scrubs that day and i had to take mine off and put on the hospitals scrubs.
Also, if you're going to an oncology transplant unit where pt's are on reverse isolation, one hospital i went to provided scrubs and i had to scrub even before i got buzzed on the floor. Usually, you sign these scrubs out in the morning and sign them in when you change back into your regular clothes.

If it involves following a doc around in a hospital or clinic, business casual should do.

Tracking shadowing and volunteering separately is important. I used Excel with a different sheet for each one. Date, Hours, and comments columns. Write a short summary of what you saw on each date. You can also review this before your next shadowing date and ask followup questions to demonstrate that you're paying attention. If you go D.O., you'll need a letter from a D.O. The more interest you show, the better your LOR will be. Hope this helps :)