Shaky hands, no chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onthetopo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.
For some unknown reason my hands tremor pretty badly when I'm very nervous(especially when other people are watching). The more I focus my hand the more it shakes.But if I'm relaxed my hands can do precision stuff with no problem. What's the condition called and does it totally bar me from being a neurosureon?

Members don't see this ad.

I have exactly the same condition. It might be called "essential tremor" but I'm not sure.

there are quite a few meds for essential tremors but one that might not go along so well with your neurosurgery aspirations is alcohol. or just don't get nervous

Members don't see this ad :)
it's more likely that you have what's called "physiologic tremor," which everyone has. in some, it is worse than others.

essential tremor is a progressive disorder that, although can be seen in younger people, is more prevalent in the elderly and often clumped together in the same set of movement disorders as parkinson's disease.

your tremor should not stop you from becoming a neurosurgeon. most surgeons are able to compensate for their tremor when they operate.

there are quite a few meds for essential tremors but one that might not go along so well with your neurosurgery aspirations is alcohol. or just don't get nervous
Funny, I find that alcohol (in my case, a little bit of wine during diner) dramatically reduces physiological tremor.

Funny, I find that alcohol (in my case, a little bit of wine during diner) dramatically reduces physiological tremor.

It actually does the same for patients with essential tremor, which is why a significant proportion of patients with ET are alcoholics.