Navy Shipboard GMO billets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riv3rking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Returning GMO here, trying to decide on a 2nd GMO tour. Am wondering if anyone here is familiar with the different GMO ship billets available in regards to location, type of ship, and deployment cycle.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Returning GMO here, trying to decide on a 2nd GMO tour. Am wondering if anyone here is familiar with the different GMO ship billets available in regards to location, type of ship, and deployment cycle.

Thanks in advance.

San Diego, Norfolk, a few in Japan. As a gmo, you can do an LSD/LPD as the lone medical officer, or an LHA/LHD working for a SMO. Orders are usually 2 years, and thats about the workup cycle of a ship (workup exercises plus a 6-8 month deployment).

Members don't see this ad :)
The best billet for a gmo is a destroyer or cruiser squadron. Most don't require you to get underway much.

The best billet for a gmo is a destroyer or cruiser squadron. Most don't require you to get underway much.
You don't know what you're talking about.
a) Cruiser/desron squadrons get underway PLENTY
b) There are no medical officer GMOs on cruisers or destroyers. If part of the battle group, you might be a GMO on an accompanying amphib (LHA/LHD/LPD/LSD, or possibly a CVN--though I don't think there are any more GMO billets on a CVs anymore)

The billets he's talking about used to be at rso. You were the supervising doc for the idc's, never went anywhere. It was a famously easy waterfront job. No clue if this still exists but he might well know what he's talking about.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

The billets he's talking about used to be at rso. You were the supervising doc for the idc's, never went anywhere. It was a famously easy waterfront job. No clue if this still exists but he might well know what he's talking about.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
If thats what he's talking about, then I do stand corrected. The RSO billets do still exist....no fun IMO: if you're gonna be a gmo, might as well be on a ship, get your pin, get some sea time.

If thats what he's talking about, then I do stand corrected. The RSO billets do still exist....no fun IMO: if you're gonna be a gmo, might as well be on a ship, get your pin, get some sea time.
Worse than no fun ... who wants to be a intern+1day responsible for a bunch of random IDCs at remote locations? I didn't really like it when my IDCs were in the next room, and I had excellent IDCs.

I never saw the GMOs underway very much. They did have to work at the BMC occasionally. If you're assigned to a ship, you will be doing more administrative work than medicine.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Yes, since I posted, I have received a list of billets from the detailer. Plenty of nice choices with good locations. Looking at the list, there does appear to be several of the 'RSO' billets mentioned above. But then there are the billets in Hawaii with the Marines, which are very tempting...

Thanks for the info everyone.

Yes, since I posted, I have received a list of billets from the detailer. Plenty of nice choices with good locations. Looking at the list, there does appear to be several of the 'RSO' billets mentioned above. But then there are the billets in Hawaii with the Marines, which are very tempting...

What was your first gmo? If you're already pinned, the RSO job might be a nice easy 2nd tour gig. If you havent done anything operational, I'd goto a ship or usmc.