Shocking confessions of a naturopathic doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vialsofstuff

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2016/01/shocking-confessions-naturopathic-doctor.html

Fine, I was shocked, but not all that surprised by the story. It's only a matter of time before more like these come out of the shadows of the naturopathic community.

tl;dr: Former ND reported her boss for importing and administering illegal cancer meds and was told by higher-up(s) in the profession to stay quiet. The state ND regulatory board did nothing but issue a "letter" to the offending naturo-quack. She discusses the quackery of ND education at Bastyr University.

A quick bit of Googling for the substance "ukrain" turned up this ND in Tucson who must be the guy she writes about having been "reprimanded" by the Arizona ND board: http://directorynd.az.gov/agency/pages/directorySearchDetail.asp?holderID=102

Members don't see this ad.

Clickbait title, content is old news and writer styles self as physician. Pass

I don't see any self stylings as a physician. She explicitly states that she stopped practicing naturopathic medicine after realizing it is hogwash.

Members don't see this ad :)
If alternative medicine worked, it wouldn't be alternative, it would be the standard.

Alternative medicine is for people who are too lazy or stupid to participate in and/or comprehend randomized controlled trials.

Reactions: 1 user
Clickbait title, content is old news and writer styles self as physician. Pass

The title is clickbait, and the content is unsurprising, but you are mischaracterizing the author. She makes a point of not identifying herself as a physician, since she feels that her training as a naturopath did not prepare her to act as one. This is pretty much the entire point of her blog. It is a decent reference for anyone considering pursuing naturopathy.

Or who are very much into magic thinking.

That's because magical thinking is easier than scientific thinking. I have never met a single person into this crap that I didn't consider intellectually lazy.

Tell me about it! I knew one person who try to explain homeopathy by invoking quantum mechanics.

That's at least a little more creative than natural = good for you. You know what else is natural and comes from the ground? Arsenic.

Tell me about it! I knew one person who try to explain homeopathy by invoking quantum mechanics.

This is a common ploy by these people that is directly taught to them by their schools or books as a way to defend their practice. I have also heard the phrase "quantum mechanics" thrown around, especially when defending nonsense like energy healing, reiki, etc. They will refer vaguely to the 'courses' they took in quantum mechanics when asked to justify how their medicine works. In reality, the course is either a survey course or completely non-existent. The phrase "quantum physics" or "quantum mechanics" are used to woo the scientifically illiterate into buying their snake oil. It doesn't matter if they can't define any of the mathematical fundamentals of quantum mechanics or even explain in plain English at a high level what it is because they don't need to. They can just make up stuff and their customers will believe them because just like their psuedo-doctors, the gullible public has not studied the rigorous mathematical formulations that make up the theory. Very few people, even real doctors, have studied quantum mechanics or even know what it is to be able to call them out on it. They can just argue anything they want, drop the phrase "quantum mechanics" when challenged about it, and the conversation ends there 99.9% of the time.

I have seen more than 1 person go to med school for the sole purpose of getting an MD to try and legitimize the psuedoscientific nonsense they want to sell for cash (using energy healing to cure cancer and hepatitis, etc). I don't know how they don't get screened out to begin with.

Reactions: 3 users
This is a common ploy by these people that is directly taught to them by their schools or books as a way to defend their practice. I have also heard the phrase "quantum mechanics" thrown around, especially when defending nonsense like energy healing, reiki, etc. They will refer vaguely to the 'courses' they took in quantum mechanics when asked to justify how their medicine works. In reality, the course is either a survey course or completely non-existent. The phrase "quantum physics" or "quantum mechanics" are used to woo the scientifically illiterate into buying their snake oil. It doesn't matter if they can't define any of the mathematical fundamentals of quantum mechanics or even explain in plain English at a high level what it is because they don't need to. They can just make up stuff and their customers will believe them because just like their psuedo-doctors, the gullible public has not studied the rigorous mathematical formulations that make up the theory. Very few people, even real doctors, have studied quantum mechanics or even know what it is to be able to call them out on it. They can just argue anything they want, drop the phrase "quantum mechanics" when challenged about it, and the conversation ends there 99.9% of the time.

I have seen more than 1 person go to med school for the sole purpose of getting an MD to try and legitimize the psuedoscientific nonsense they want to sell for cash (using energy healing to cure cancer and hepatitis, etc). I don't know how they don't get screened out to begin with.

I've studied quantum mechanics. I would love to have a discussion with them

If alternative medicine worked, it wouldn't be alternative, it would be the standard.

Alternative medicine is for people who are too lazy or stupid to participate in and/or comprehend randomized controlled trials.

Don't start believing most of our industry sponsored randomized trials (I.e. remain skeptical of published research including papers in nejm).

Don't start believing most of our industry sponsored randomized trials (I.e. remain skeptical of published research including papers in nejm).
There's a difference between healthy skepticism and rejecting "western medicine" en bloc

Seems to me atomi was referring to the latter

That's because magical thinking is easier than scientific thinking. I have never met a single person into this crap that I didn't consider intellectually lazy.

ummm Religion?

Reactions: 2 users