Shooting for family medicine... D.O scholarships possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedGuy222

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to go into primary care and would like to keep the option of family medicine open.

A bit about me: I'm a non-trad career changer (28 years old) with a 3.7 GPA and a 34 MCAT (11/12/11).

My plan was originally to apply to M.D. schools only, but I'm wondering if my stats (provided I have all the other boxes checked too) would allow me to get a D.O. scholarship instead? I'm applying next year and have volunteering, shadowing, work experience, etc to go along with my stats.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking to go into primary care and would like to keep the option of family medicine open.

A bit about me: I'm a non-trad career changer (28 years old) with a 3.7 GPA and a 34 MCAT (11/12/11).

My plan was originally to apply to M.D. schools only, but I'm wondering if my stats (provided I have all the other boxes checked too) would allow me to get a D.O. scholarship instead? I'm applying next year and have volunteering, shadowing, work experience, etc to go along with my stats.

Go MD, don't go DO unless you have to. You don't want to close doors down the road even if they give you a scholarship in DO schools.

Granted i go to what many consider a top DO school, but I asked admissions who gets merit scholarships (as I am on friendly terms with them) and they said that there are enough people with high stats that genuinely want DO, that in order to get a merit scholarship there, the numbers would have to be close to what they would be to get you a merit scholarship at an allopathic school.

That being said, DO schools tend to have more rural med programs where you can get a scholarship to sign a contract to go in rural primary care, but I hear those are also incredibly competitive.