Short TWO letters of rec!! WHAT TO DO?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woopsi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
my PI (Amazing letter), an MD (very good), and animal bio professor(who says he didnt know me personally and seemed hesitant to write me one but said hed be fine writing me a generic "student soandso got an A in my class" letter.

I still need two more letters from science faculty at my university to get a pre med letter and I have not been able to get to know any of my professors well at all so far. this is my last semester to do so. I just don't know how to do it. I am taking micro and organic 2 this semester so I have 2-3 months to get to know them very well to even have a shot at applying.

I need advice on HOW to get to know them well enough they agree to write me a letter. In my animal bio class, I always asked questions and seemed interested in the topic and did very well on all his tests, but apparently that wasn't enough to warrant a great letter, as he said he liked to get to know his students outside of class. how the heck do i get to know my professors outside of class?!

For my microbiology class, my professors really funny and nice, but intimidates me with his ridiculous intellectual skills. I know I should go to his office hours but I don't have any QUESTIONS to ask! I know that seems like a silly statement, but he basically hands out the notes that are self-explanatory. what to do? I NEED to get him to know me.

For Organic 2, this guy REALLY INTIMIDATES me. hes NOT afraid to speak his mind and has a loud booming voice, but he is an amazing teacher. I know I can go to his office hours and ask for organic help, as I really do need it, but how can I make sure hes getting to "know" me. i took organic 1 with him 2 semesters ago and got an A, but only talked to him once. this time i plan to try to live in his office. I thought my animal bio professor was getting to "know" me, but apparently he didn't think so.

Members don't see this ad.

Go to office hours and ask about their research, ask about their career goals, their schooling. Go in with a question or two as a ruse to start a conversation with them. Mention cool little tid bits of research or science to them after class when you see a new article. Does your committee have a date you need to have your letters in by?

Usually fostering strong connections with professors take more than just a semester/qtr. Your best bet now is to put your best efforts into seeing your profs as much as possible through OH, etc. And make a strong impression. Reconnecting and following up with old professors you really enjoyed might be another option

Members don't see this ad :)
All I can tell you is that I got my letters from profs I only had 1 semester with. What I did was actually like the prof and talk to him/her after class about stuff I actually found interesting. Earnestness goes a long way. However, saying "I really just want a letter" isn't a great approach, despite its candor.

Best way to earn your prof's respect: be one of their best students. Participate in their class. To do this, know the topics before lecture. LORs take more work than As do.

Make the best out of office hours. I always miss at least one question on a test so I would use that as a pretext to go hang out in their office. You can find out a lot about someone just by their office. Usually they will have research articles laying around, or an interesting picture. After taking care of your questions you can strike up a conversation/small talk. This is like an investment. Once they have a friendly disposition towards you then getting the letter will be no trouble at all. Do it early, and do it often. I got eight letters this way, with one semester courses. Some of those professors became friends that I still talk to today.

Reactions: 1 user