Shot myself in the foot with this one...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

sle3pyguii

So...I think I've killed any chances I have of getting into Pharmacy School..

I got straight C's this semester...and I'm a sophomore. My Freshman year wasn't great either, 2.8 and 2.6

So, anyone ever do this badly and bounce back?

Members don't see this ad.

You can bounce back.....Work hard and start getting better grades.....when your finish you should be sitting really nice.....:)

I got straight C's this semester...and I'm a sophomore. My Freshman year wasn't great either, 2.8 and 2.6

I had like 3 F's and pretty much the rest C's and 1 D for my first 50 credits (GPA 1.8 or less). I brought it up to a 3.1 after graduating (including F's, damn pharmcas!) So there is hope, you might just have to get a bachelors and get all A's in your science courses to show your stuff. Worked for me. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
You can do it! Remember upward trends are good! Really take some time to reflect why you got those grades. Could you have been studying instead of going out, should you have gone to office hours, are you studying effectively?

sle3pyguii,
You need to invest more time in your studying next semester. I don’t know your situation but if you have a job you should cut back on your hours or take fewer classes. I know there are a lot of people who are geniuses and can handle full time job, 16 credits and 2 kids. I am a normal person. I was working last year full time and took only 7 credits. Now I am taking only 2-3 classes and have a part time job. Needless to say I’ve got all As so far. Good luck. :)

:rolleyes:I was expecting you to say something else from the title of your post hahah Im glad it wasn't something worse

Its not the nail in the coffin. If you show an upward trend in your grades, that will look good. Just bring your GPA up as much as you can, and put effort into making the rest of your stats, EC, experience, PCAT, etc.. stand out and you should be fine. Work hard and something good will come out of it:thumbup:

:rolleyes:I was expecting you to say something else from the title of your post hahah Im glad it wasn't something worse

Its not the nail in the coffin. If you show an upward trend in your grades, that will look good. Just bring your GPA up as much as you can, and put effort into making the rest of your stats, EC, experience, PCAT, etc.. stand out and you should be fine. Work hard and something good will come out of it:thumbup:

I think you already knew the answer to your question...:smuggrin:

Well, of course you haven't killed your chances. Life is full of second chances. But you do have to watch out there. Its not just the Cs that hurting you. Its the fact that you are spiraling on a downward trend. The fact that you first 2 semesters weren't that great either, indicates that you haven't learned your lesson. You are obviously doing something wrong. Maybe its procrastination, not studying correctly, overwhelming courseload, working full-time while at school, or just parting too much. Just figure out what it is and change it. If you don't you will just keep on doing worse. Especially since the difficulty increases as one progresses from lower div to upper div. If you can show a strong upward trend, they will definitely consider it.

Was there a reason for your low GPA?

well i got that in one semester and my gpa plumetted to about 2.5. my grades for the last 60 were about 3.2, and i got accepted into pharmacy school next year (school will be nameless).
i guess it really depends on why u did so badly. did you become a hardcore party-er or did you become more involved in leadership positions or work that prevents you to solely focus on ur academics? all in all, you definitely dont want to have that kind of semester again before you apply.

btw, prereqs are easier to bounce back than upper div. upper divs are super hard, so you shouldnt procrastinate in those classes (like studying the day before the tests).

I got a job this semester with campus catering. I liked the job, but the hours I worked aren't really set. Sometimes I would work 3-4 days a week in the afternoons, while sometimes I would work 2 days a week in the mornings. It would change every week, so I never really had a set time to study.

you'll be fine with a good PCAT and if you sing the ding fries are done song during your interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I did bad...but pharmacy schools like to see improvement (or so I hope) I screwed myself over freshman year, but sophomore year, I've been getting a lot of A's, and right now....I don't know what's going on...LOL....I'm in a lot of clubs, research, missions, and volunteering....so yeah...i'm pretty busy, but once you get into the college groove, you'll be fine....:)

I certainly do NOT want you to become my pharmacist.

Sometimes I wonder how pharmacists in the US don't kill their every other patient and make so much money.

In Canada, no one with less than a 3.3 GPA could (or realistically should) even DREAM of going into pharmacy.

Sometimes I wonder how pharmacists in the US don't kill their every other patient and make so much money.

In Canada, no one with less than a 3.3 GPA could (or realistically should) even DREAM of going into pharmacy.

I felt compelled to respond to this...so your stating that someone with a 3.3 GPA does not have any C's on their transcript? If that was the case, they would have a 4.0 GPA not a 3.3! As long as she improves there should be no problem getting into pharmacy school. I hate people that try to condone someone like they are soooo perfect!

That's all folks :mad:

..so your stating that someone with a 3.3 GPA does not have any C's on their transcript?

No I did not state that. Learn to read.

If that was the case, they would have a 4.0 GPA not a 3.3!
Also not true. There are such things as B's
As long as she improves there should be no problem getting into pharmacy school. I hate people that try to condone someone like they are soooo perfect!

That's all folks :mad:

The OP did not get one C, but MULTIPLE C's

Infact probably C's straight across the board... keep in mind we're talking about grade point AVERAGE. This is not elitist sentiment. Her GPA of 2.6 - 2.8 is... less then stellar :laugh:

I'm stating that I do NOT want someone with C average being my pharmacist. Although classes are curved, would you want your life being trusted to some person who retained only ~60% of the information taught?

Not Me.

The point of her being accepted if she improved is not only moot but quite naive. EVERYONE could be an astronaut or doctor, or (list your dream job) if they "improved" enough. The question is whether she CAN improve. Take note that this is her second year. Yes, there is a possibility of her getting in pharmacy, but what is the probability? Do not confuse the two.

I think the lot of you have either watched too many Rocky movies or naruto episodes... or are in denial about your own GPA's

Kinda trollish speak here, but what the hell....I'll bite.
Asssuming the OP has the mental capacity to successfully preform the course work, all she/he needs is the motivation to make A's and some B's for the rest of her/his undergrad and the GPA will be within your acceptable range.

Also, let me see if I am understanding you correctly here. Sometimes you wonder how pharmacists in the US don't kill their every other patient and make so much money. Wait.. no that can't be right. Maybe you meant, you sometimes wonder why pharmacists in the US don't kill every other patient, yet still make so much money. No, that doesn't really make much sense either. Oh okay, I think I have it now. You sometimes wonder how US pharmacists keep from killing every other patient; however, they do make money. Is that right? Well, the answer to your question is that US pharmacists have great communication skills that aid in the prevention of mistakes. US pharmacists also tend to write directions to the patient clear and unambiguous language. Of course, I could be wrong.

Kinda trollish speak here, but what the hell....I'll bite.

Exactly which part is trollish?

Just because it's not what you want to hear doesn't make it trollish.

Asssuming the OP has the mental capacity to successfully preform the course work, all she/he needs is the motivation to make A's and some B's for the rest of her/his undergrad and the GPA will be within your acceptable range

Key word highlighted.

Also, let me see if I am understanding you correctly here. Sometimes you wonder how pharmacists in the US don't kill their every other patient and make so much money. Wait.. no that can't be right.

It is right. (read below)

Maybe you meant, you sometimes wonder why pharmacists in the US don't kill every other patient, yet still make so much money.

Adding the word 'still' qualifies the fact that US pharmacist kills his/her every other patient. This is not true so I INTENTIONALLY left that out. It may be hard for you to grasp, but I'll try to clarify. I'm wondering how US pharmacists manage to make so much money (see: http://jobfutures.ca/noc/3131.shtml and http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=5954745#post5954745) AND why their patients aren't dropping dead left and right (since admission averages are so low).

Jeez, if you're going to comment on my English, at least take a look at your's first. And yes, you have completely missed the point.

PS: I've always wondered why there are so many people naming on the pharmacy forums of SDN naming themselves something related to ochem... would you feel better if you thought of me as a diene?

I think the lot of you have either watched too many Rocky movies or naruto episodes... or are in denial about your own GPA's

Check for Rocky, CHECK CHECK CHECK CHECK for Naruto (see my screen name). I have been a Naruto fan for 5 years now, and you sound just like pre-time skip Neji if you know what I mean.

Everybody can change. Life gives us second chances. I literally faced death 3 separate times, but life gave me a 4th chance. I don't expect you to have been a genius all your life. Nobody expects their pharmacist to have been an undergrad genius (unless they got a BPharm haha). The point is that when there is an open, burning mind for improvement, there will be light. On the other hand, if you're just going to go around acting like you're so great compared to other "lesser" beings, then to me you're worse than the homeless guy next door. Not that they all aren't drunkards or etc., but there *ARE* sooo many people who'd rather be in our shoes and get a 2. whatever but be in SCHOOL.

People change. And the idea is to change for the better.

Check for Rocky, CHECK CHECK CHECK CHECK for Naruto (see my screen name). I have been a Naruto fan for 5 years now, and you sound just like pre-time skip Neji if you know what I mean.

Everybody can change. Life gives us second chances. I literally faced death 3 separate times, but life gave me a 4th chance. I don't expect you to have been a genius all your life. Nobody expects their pharmacist to have been an undergrad genius (unless they got a BPharm haha). The point is that when there is an open, burning mind for improvement, there will be light. Not that they all aren't drunkards or etc., but there *ARE* sooo many people who'd rather be in our shoes and get a 2. whatever but be in SCHOOL.

Hahaha, I do watch naruto too, so I know exactly what you mean by the neji comment.

On the other hand, if you're just going to go around acting like you're so great compared to other "lesser" beings, then to me you're worse than the homeless guy next door.
:laugh:

Where did everyone get the idea that I'm acting like an elitist. Be honest here. Would you really want someone with a C average to be your pharmacist. I'm not saying that it won't change, but currently, I think no one will openly say that's good, or even good enough to be a pharmacist. This is not surprising, even the OP knew that... otherwise she wouldn't have made this post.

I am only surprised that the admission requirements to get into pharmacy in the states are so low compared to over here.

Can you explain the BPharm part? In canada, most of the pharmacists are BPharm, and getting pharmD is an extra 2 years after the 4 years to get the BPharm (Only need BPharm to practice pharmacy). I know in the US you get pharmD in 4 years.

People change. And the idea is to change for the better.
See, I think this is where I differ from most people.
We have ideologies, but many times, the ideologies fail. Communism ideally is a great place. But in practice, it fails miserably. So the idea is for people to change for the better, but it's not necessarily always the case. Nor do people always change. Some people just stay stagnant.

PS: this is also where the naruto thing comes in. When you're 100lb and fighting some one 200lb solid rock of muscles, being angry or determined to win doesn't really help. To me, it seems naruto really gets the benefit of strength not because he works hard, but because he gets upset and taps into the nine-tail. I think this kind of crap is spewed by mass media to the point where a lot of us think we can get something without putting the effort into it. The result is that the lot of us don't know what real hard work and effort actually mean, so they casually throw the word around. Like saying, "all I need to do (this and that) is to work hard, how hard can that be?"

Thank you all for keeping the posting civil - however, I do believe the point of this thread is being skewed.

It is a thread about getting several C's - and possibility of salvaging the damage.

It is NOT a thread about how competent a person would be as a pharmacist if thay had multiple Cs on their transcript.

You may begin another thread if you wish to discuss such things, but let us return to the topic of this thread.

~above~

Thank you Ben1988 for giving me a motivation. No sarcasm in that statement, it's all honesty.

By the way, the whole Rocky/Naruto arguments...How'd that happen?

Thank you Ben1988 for giving me a motivation. No sarcasm in that statement, it's all honesty.

By the way, the whole Rocky/Naruto arguments...How'd that happen?

You're welcome.

I only hope that you take the words "working hard" seriously. As I've said before, working hard is MUCH harder than it sounds. Don't just listen to catch phrases you see on TV like "I got to step up my game" and expect to do better.

To really make the grade, there will have to be some sacrifices, most probably no procrastination and some social life (Unless you can manage time REALLY REALLY well)

good luck.

PS: Also, I personally think that people never really gets motivated until they accept that they have a problem... like AA. So yea, admitting that you have a studying problem (just an example) and not blaming stuff like work (get a more stable job, or quit work if you're living with parent and not buy that fancy this and that) is really the true start. The point is that there's no point in asking an online forum this question when you can already start working harder. Some will say that knowing others have gone through the same thing provides motivation, but that should come from within, and besides, you already knew the answer to your question - or at least what the majority of SDN will spew out of it's predictable posts.