Should DO take USMLE 1 & 2 or is STEP 1 no longer needed (so STEP 2 only) as it is P/F?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why do you think that not taking step puts DOs behind Caribbean graduates?

I agree with you. But the problem is I shouldn’t have to agree with you because a system that puts that much value in a test that doesn’t predict resident success is stupid. It shows that you’d value someone with inferior education just because they have a P on one exam even though the other has a P on an equivalent exam.

And I might regret not taking it some. I’m just going for PMR or rural FM. And PMR without step had the same Match rate with step.

And I’m not saying we should all revolt but there’s gotta be a way to make it better and more logical for everyone.

Like what’s the point of making it pass fail if it actually adds stress

I respectfully disagree regarding your statement that STEP and COMLEX are equivalent. STEP is infinitely more complex and sophisticated.

Besides, why not just take STEP? You’re only losing out on a few hundred dollars (which is a drop in the bucket compared to tuition, let alone physician salary).

If anything, taking STEP 1 prepares you for STEP 2, which IMO is good enough reason to take it.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with you here buddy. It’s hard for them to give up that 900 per person.

Should be step 1. Then a 120-150 question OMM test or something if they really want more
Yeah that’s fine. I also said in another thread a while ago that the pass thresholds for Step should drop to 180s because a pass threshold for Step 1 being 196 and for Step 2 being in 214 is completely absurd. So I get your concerns

Yeah that’s fine. I also said in another thread a while ago that the pass thresholds for Step should drop to 180s because a pass threshold for Step 1 being 196 and for Step 2 being in 214 is completely absurd. So I get your concerns

Why does the difference in the pass threshold for Step 1 vs. Step 2 matter if the pass rate is the same at 96%? Lowering the threshold to the 180s all but guarantees everyone to pass. What’s the point of giving an exam if everyone is gonna pass no matter what?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Why does the difference in the pass threshold for Step 1 vs. Step 2 matter if the pass rate is the same at 96%? Lowering the threshold to the 180s all but guarantees everyone to pass. What’s the point of giving an exam if everyone is gonna pass no matter what?
It should test for minimum competency needed to practice medicine, not to weed people out

Reactions: 4 users
It should test for minimum competency needed to practice medicine, not to weed people out

Step 2CK is an objectively easier exam than Step 1 when you compare average performance, so it makes sense that the pass threshold is higher?

I agree with this completely. The test threshold should no longer be about failing doctors. It should be about the minimal competency needed to move on to clinicals.

And some people will say 194 is the minimal. But then why has the passing score increased over the years. That’s like saying all the doctors who came out in the 90s with a lower passing score would be worse doctors today because the competency score was lower

The national average step score in 1996 was a 205. That’s barely passing today.

LOL. why even worry? As a DO you can score 194 or below on step 1 and/or 214 or bellow on step 2 and still match. As long as you pass your comlex.

I agree with this completely. The test threshold should no longer be about failing doctors. It should be about the minimal competency needed to move on to clinicals.

And some people will say 194 is the minimal. But then why has the passing score increased over the years. That’s like saying all the doctors who came out in the 90s with a lower passing score would be worse doctors today because the competency score was lower

The national average step score in 1996 was a 205. That’s barely passing today.

The exam content and style of questions has changed quite a bit since then (which is why they have a delay in reporting scores every year in the summer to analyze the new questions). At the end of the day, only like 4% of people fail the exam ( for both Step 1 and Step 2 CK) , which is mostly IMGs anyways. That’s just a handful of people per med school. Sounds like they are testing “minimal competency” to me…

I know a lot of people will get really upset at what I’m saying, but as DO students we NEED to prove our worth as future doctors and PROVE that we are as good as our MD counterparts. Complaining about the minimal competency on the USMLE or trying to say that COMLEX = USMLE does not bode well for us. What are we going to do when we run a practice with our MD colleagues? Are we going to say that we should have a lighter patient load or take the simpler cases? As DO students, we need to respect ourselves, our careers, and our clinical skills. And part of doing that includes bucking up and crushing USMLE. I’m sorry if that hurts anyone’s feelings but I am merely saying the truth.

I know a lot of people will get really upset at what I’m saying, but as DO students we NEED to prove our worth as future doctors and PROVE that we are as good as our MD counterparts. Complaining about the minimal competency on the USMLE or trying to say that COMLEX = USMLE does not bode well for us. What are we going to do when we run a practice with our MD colleagues? Are we going to say that we should have a lighter patient load or take the simpler cases? As DO students, we need to respect ourselves, our careers, and our clinical skills. And part of doing that includes bucking up and crushing USMLE. I’m sorry if that hurts anyone’s feelings but I am merely saying the truth.
I understand where you’re coming from. But in my mind that form of thinking is like saying DOs are cats trying to fit in with the lions of MDs.

Like the line about us taking a lesser patient load cause we’re DOs. So to prove ourselves we need to pay an extra 1800 dollars and 16 hours of our lives and an extra toll on our mental health. And most people and schools just accept that.

We shouldn’t have to prove anything. And by using tht terminology it’s almost like agreeing with any MDs that look down on our agree. “Yep our school blows and most of us are inferior so I’ll take these extra tests just to pray some old white MD thinks I’m as good as someone else”

Idk if that makes sense and not meant to be too controversial but it’ll be my last comment on the topic.

Reactions: 1 users
I understand where you’re coming from. But in my mind that form of thinking is like saying DOs are cats trying to fit in with the lions of MDs.

Like the line about us taking a lesser patient load cause we’re DOs. So to prove ourselves we need to pay an extra 1800 dollars and 16 hours of our lives and an extra toll on our mental health. And most people and schools just accept that.

We shouldn’t have to prove anything. And by using tht terminology it’s almost like agreeing with any MDs that look down on our agree. “Yep our school blows and most of us are inferior so I’ll take these extra tests just to pray some old white MD thinks I’m as good as someone else”

Idk if that makes sense and not meant to be too controversial but it’ll be my last comment on the topic.

Guess we have two different approaches to life. I personally believe that proving your worth is important and just because you have to prove something doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. I can bench 250 which, even though it’s not insanely impressive, doesn’t mean someone should trust I can do it without me proving it.

You aren’t stating the truth… You’re stating your opinion. Go ahead and take STEP 1 and get your pass. PDs care about one thing, an f’ing score not proving your worth.

Who would a PD rather have?

You: Pass S1 + S2 of 230

Some scrub: No S1 + S2 255

Answer is simple… No one cares about your pass. Get a Step 2 score to see how you measure up in general (not how your DO degree measures up.)

Last edited by a moderator:
You aren’t stating the truth… You’re stating your opinion. Go ahead and take STEP 1 and get your pass. PDs care about one thing, an f’ing score not proving your worth.

Answer is simple… No one cares about your pass. Get a Step 2 score to see how you measure up in general (not how your DO degree measures up.)

You got a severe inferiority complex my dude…
Whether or not a passing on step 1 matters if you plan on taking step 2 is unknown, but I wanted to add that being able to pass step 1 puts the student on the path to doing well on step 2. If you don't take step 1 I'm not sure a DO student would understand how much more difficult it is compared to COMLEX. The naive plan may be to do well on step 2 but people who don't tale step 1 may be caught off guard by its difficulty, especially if they are only taking NBOME shelf exams. Speaking from experience, percentile wise I am consistently and significantly lower on the NBME exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whether or not a passing on step 1 matters if you plan on taking step 2 is unknown, but I wanted to add that being able to pass step 1 puts the student on the path to doing well on step 2. If you don't take step 1 I'm not sure a DO student would understand how much more difficult it is compared to COMLEX. The naive plan may be to do well on step 2 but people who don't tale step 1 may be caught off guard by its difficulty, especially if they are only taking NBOME shelf exams. Speaking from experience, percentile wise I am consistently and significantly lower on the NBME exams.
Students should be taking UW1 and UW2… Those are the scores for S1 that matter now. It surprises me that so many students think “my percentile decreases when I take S1 compared to L1, therefor S1 = more complex.” It’s more likely the test are of equal difficulty (I didn’t notice some wild difficulty curve you speak of) but the test takers’ ability have changed compared to the cohort. The one consistent thing was my score was similar to UWSA.

Edit: you are correct we won’t know how not taking S1 and taking S2 will be ultimately looked at. But my argument is S2 score is the ONLY thing that matters.

Last edited:

I've seen a lot of programs online that won't even interview without a step 1 score bro. So clearly, showing that you passed does matter. Pass-Fail Step 1 is only a recent development too, so it's not like every single PD no longer cares about Step 1 and almost immediately started drooling at Step 2. Just take both and let's leave it at that.

Edit: you are correct we won’t know how not taking S1 and taking S2 will be ultimately looked at. But my argument is S2 score is the ONLY thing that matters.
FWIW, I've spoken directly with multiple PDs in some of the surgical fields that say they "expect to see you pass Step 1", and that "any failed Step 1 would knock you out of the running", and that competitive applicants need to go crush Step 2 out of the park.

So while it's true that a Step 2 score is going to be what's compared amongst applicants, I think it's largely understood that candidates, at least to their programs, will need to have done the bare minimum of passing Step 1, and that either not reporting a score (i.e.: not taking it) or showing a failed attempt in their history will exclude one from consideration. I have a feeling this will be largely reflective at most programs, at least for competitive specialties.

No one will see the Step 2 255 because you’ll be auto screened without a Step 1 P.

Reactions: 3 users
No one will see the Step 2 255 because you’ll be auto screened without a Step 1 P.
You might be right; I’ll even concede and say you’re right because I have no skin in the game…

However, through my years of SDN these type of extremes never come to fruition or it applies to prestigious programs within prestigious specialties. SDN is where exceptions become the rule before anyone even has any data to make recommendations.

You might be right; I’ll even concede and say you’re right because I have no skin in the game…

However, through my years of SDN these type of extremes never come to fruition or it applies to prestigious programs within prestigious specialties. SDN is where exceptions become the rule before anyone even has any data to make recommendations.
This happens in very run of the mill programs too not just some SDN ivory tower in surgical subs. I have first hand knowledge of that via my med school, faculty friends, and being involved in the process during my TY which involved learning how the other GME programs filter applicants.

Also taking step 1 gives an individual a bunch questions to get used the language if that's a problem for them when test-taking.

What's your criteria for prestigious specialty? Are you referring to surgical subspecialties as prestigious? Or specialties offered at top 10 locations? Because the specialty that I'm thinking of is not a surgical subspecialty and the program that I'm thinking of is most definitely not a top 10 program. Maybe mid-tier, slightly a bit lower at best, but they will definitely not interview you if you don't have a Step 1. Even if there are DOs there and they might have somewhat of an idea how COMLEX works. Step 1 is what they know. There definitely are some programs out there that won't require you to take Step 1 or even report it. But it's not like Harvard or Yale are the only programs asking for a Step 1 score and denying people if they don't have it. If all you're interested in are specialties in locations that are perfectly fine with just COMLEX and won't screen you out for no Step 1, then you'll definitely find those. Not entirely sure how many of those there will be, but it's not like there's thousands of them, waiting for you to apply. You're definitely shooting yourself in the foot by not taking Step 1. You're limiting yourself when you don't necessarily have to. Why put yourself through that if you know it's something that you can change?

I know 100% my program will not look at a DO without a Step 1. I have many friends and contacts at other programs, their programs filter the same way mine does

Everyone please listen to the people who have been through this. We all went to school with people who opted not to take step 1. They did not have a good time applying outside of primary care, especially in desirable areas. Even people in traditionally non-competitive fields like PM&R struggled without a step 1 score. Literally just passing with a below average score was associated with much more success than not having one.

there's literally no reason not to take step 1 now unless you're borderline failing. I unfortunately know many in my class who decided they didn't need step, and I feel bad for them.

I know 100% my program will not look at a DO without a Step 1. I have many friends and contacts at other programs, their programs filter the same way mine does

Everyone please listen to the people who have been through this. We all went to school with people who opted not to take step 1. They did not have a good time applying outside of primary care, especially in desirable areas. Even people in traditionally non-competitive fields like PM&R struggled without a step 1 score. Literally just passing with a below average score was associated with much more success than not having one.

Quick question - will programs count it against you if you take a study rotation in your 3rd year to study for Step? I know a lot of people who delayed taking Step 1 because it was p/f and did took a study rotation. The either did it because 1) they underestimated it and didn't start studying until way too late or 2) they delayed it because they didn't feel like doing it at the end of second year and they thought that passing it would be really chill/easy, so why not just delay it and do an independent study rotation instead?

But I personally think it looks terrible to do an independent study rotation in 3rd year to study for step when it's gone p/f.

Quick question - will programs count it against you if you take a study rotation in your 3rd year to study for Step? I know a lot of people who delayed taking Step 1 because it was p/f and did took a study rotation. The either did it because 1) they underestimated it and didn't start studying until way too late or 2) they delayed it because they didn't feel like doing it at the end of second year and they thought that passing it would be really chill/easy, so why not just delay it and do an independent study rotation instead?

But I personally think it looks terrible to do an independent study rotation in 3rd year to study for step when it's gone p/f.
I honestly can’t imagine programs looking hard enough to tell if that even happened. I had classmates who did anatomy or omm fellowships purely to spend an entire year studying for step 1. Those who performed well did not have anyone bat an eye to my knowledge.

Also, seeing as how more and more med schools are doing both sets of boards after 3rd year, I can’t see it being a problem.

They won’t care. No one will look that in depth anyway. They only see the score.

Surely this can't be true.
I would think that applicant A (No step 1, but 250+ step 2) has as much merit as applicant B (P step 1, and 230s step 2).
I mean you and a lot of people on here are saying that scoring well on step 1 helps with your performance on step 2. So if that's true, then surely a reasonable PD could infer that applicant A is good enough to pass step 1...

Also to dispel this idea of filtering; since step 1 is P/F - there is no reason to "filter" that column.
Even at highly regarded programs where it is expected for applicants to be above and beyond; you think they will really filter an exam that is merely P/F? I don't think so. They'll be filtering for actual scoring thresholds - which the Step 2 is there to distinguish.
If Step 2 becomes P/F, then yes they'll most likely implement a criteria of having a P on both.

Also to dispel this idea of filtering; since step 1 is P/F - there is no reason to "filter" that column.
Even at highly regarded programs where it is expected for applicants to be above and beyond; you think they will really filter an exam that is merely P/F? I don't think so. They'll be filtering for actual scoring thresholds - which the Step 2 is there to distinguish.
If Step 2 becomes P/F, then yes they'll most likely implement a criteria of having a P on both.
As someone who has been involved in the process at two places and knows two PDs as family and close friends, I can tell you that the filters and their use are real. It's not some made up thing. It takes 2 seconds and decreases the number of people to sort. It's reality in a world with too many applicants to actually review properly.

Reactions: 5 users
I would think that applicant A (No step 1, but 250+ step 2) has as much merit as applicant B (P step 1, and 230s step 2).
I mean you and a lot of people on here are saying that scoring well on step 1 helps with your performance on step 2. So if that's true, then surely a reasonable PD could infer that applicant A is good enough to pass step 1...
The problem with this rationale is ignoring the fact that programs are going to receive too many people with both a P and a good step 2 score to even worry about those with only one or the other.

They're going to expect a P in that column and will be more than happy to chop down the number of applicants they actually need to review.

The problem with this rationale is ignoring the fact that programs are going to receive too many people with both a P and a good step 2 score to even worry about those with only one or the other.

They're going to expect a P in that column and will be more than happy to chop down the number of applicants they actually need to review.

I think you are definitely correct about the "top of the line" programs where the competition is extremely tight, and every opportunity to distinguish yourself will be important. That being said for mid-level programs (and below) they will be content with an applicant A from my scenario.

Last edited:
As someone who has been involved in the process at two places and knows two PDs as family and close friends, I can tell you that the filters and their use are real. It's not some made up thing. It takes 2 seconds and decreases the number of people to sort. It's reality in a world with too many applicants to actually review properly.

All I'm saying is that I doubt they will check that filter because the test is P/F. There is no point. They will be filtering out a very small percentage of students. Most people (especially those who are pursuing top-of the line programs) have a Step 1 P. A filter is there to take out big chunks of applicants. They can easily put a filter of 245+ on step 2 and "kill two birds with one stone". They will look at step 2 scores and that's where the filter will be placed. I guess you can say that they will be questioning why a student with a high step 2 score would not take/not show their step 1 score, but I don't think it will be a reason for them to completely exclude them from their list.

Now everything I'm defending can be thrown out the window, if and only if a program has a requirement where they ask for a step 1...

I think you are definitely correct about the "top of the line" programs where the competition is extremely tight, and every opportunity to distinguish yourself will be important. That being said for mid-level programs (and below) they will be content with an applicant A from my scenario.
It's all on a scale. I think it's a fallacy to assume that outside of the top there's a sudden dichotomous switch to where it'll be suddenly not checked. With application numbers sky-rocketing, it's more important now than ever to ensure that all the boxes are checked in order to not be screened out somewhere with the hopes that you'll get love from programs. The number of spots per applicant in competitive fields means there are just too many good applicants with both to fill pretty much every PGY1 categorical spot in the country.

I think you can probably safely apply to non-competitive fields at non-competitive programs without taking Step 1, but that's pigeon-holing yourself to such a degree that anyone advising that route does not have your best interests at heart.

All I'm saying is that I doubt they will check that filter because the test is P/F. There is no point. They will be filtering out a very small percentage of students. Most people (especially those who are pursuing top-of the line programs) have a Step 1 P. A filter is there to take out big chunks of applicants. They can easily put a filter of 245+ on step 2 and "kill two birds with one stone". They will look at step 2 scores and that's where the filter will be placed. I guess you can say that they will be questioning why a student with a high step 2 score would not take/not show their step 1 score, but I don't think it will be a reason for them to completely exclude them from their list.

Now everything I'm defending can be thrown out the window, if and only if a program has a requirement where they ask for a step 1...
Strong work. Everything you say here is 100% wrong, yet you say it with such confidence…

• Haha
Strong work. Everything you say here is 100% wrong, yet you say it with such confidence…

Nice. Thank you for the very crass response. You offered zero to this discussion. You have a few anecdotal points, and are quick to dismiss the counter arguments.
It's all on a scale. I think it's a fallacy to assume that outside of the top there's a sudden dichotomous switch to where it'll be suddenly not checked. With application numbers sky-rocketing, it's more important now than ever to ensure that all the boxes are checked in order to not be screened out somewhere with the hopes that you'll get love from programs. The number of spots per applicant in competitive fields means there are just too many good applicants with both to fill pretty much every PGY1 categorical spot in the country.

I think you can probably safely apply to non-competitive fields at non-competitive programs without taking Step 1, but that's pigeon-holing yourself to such a degree that anyone advising that route does not have your best interests at heart.
If you think you can pass Step 1 you should by all means take it. The argument is: will not taking it for whatever reason affect the DO student who is attempting at mid-level specialties? I believe if that DO student excels at the examination with an actual score, then the value of passing Step 1 becomes nearly completely negligible for most mid-level and below specialties.

Nice. Thank you for the very crass response. You offered zero to this discussion. You have a few anecdotal points, and are quick to dismiss the counter arguments.

If you think you can pass Step 1 you should by all means take it. The argument is: will not taking it for whatever reason affect the DO student who is attempting at mid-level specialties? I believe if that DO student excels at the examination with an actual score, then the value of passing Step 1 becomes nearly completely negligible for most mid-level and below specialties.
I find it amusing you are doubling down on this. Residency websites, in my specialty all programs, state that you must pass Step 1 on the first attempt to be eligible for consideration. And you really think programs won’t filter for those that have a P on Step 1? Programs will never see your 250 Step 2 because they absolutely will employ such filters before they even do app reviews. It is nothing but magical thinking to believe otherwise.

Myself and many others in this thread actually involved in resident selection have told you how easily and readily filters are employed. You on the other hand have zero evidence for your arguments other than feelings and “I believe” statements. DO students should take Step 1, period. Not taking it would 100% be highly detrimental to residency applications in all specialties, regardless of Step 2 score.

Reactions: 6 users

I just told you that 4 programs are definitely doing it. The rational is that it takes two seconds to add that filter and every bit counts when you have too many qualified people. I literally just told you what you are saying won't happen is happening lol. It's just convenient.

Last edited:
These two thoughts are contradictory. There's really no reason to not take the exam, other than doubt in one's ability to pass it. Step 1 has many faults, but it is still the first standardized hurdle that board-certified physicians take, and it is an expectation for PDs to see you pass that in order to build confidence in them that you can pass Step 3 after you start at their residency program.

You can target programs that don't care about it, but that's a vast minority and you shouldn't take the stance of "well, why does it matter?"

I find it amusing you are doubling down on this. Residency websites, in my specialty all programs, state that you must pass Step 1 on the first attempt to be eligible for consideration. And you really think programs won’t filter for those that have a P on Step 1? Programs will never see your 250 Step 2 because they absolutely will employ such filters before they even do app reviews. It is nothing but magical thinking to believe otherwise.

Myself and many others in this thread actually involved in resident selection have told you how easily and readily filters are employed. You on the other hand have zero evidence for your arguments other than feelings and “I believe” statements. DO students should take Step 1, period. Not taking it would 100% be highly detrimental to residency applications in all specialties, regardless of Step 2 score.
And this is data from 2020, before Step 1 shifted to P/F... +70% for the mid-level specs and +80/90% for the lower-level specs
Before you talk in absolutes, have an open mind and stop fear-mongering students who aren't to your "level" in taking two sets of board exams.
1665850996025.png

And this is data from 2020, before Step 1 shifted to P/F... +70% for the mid-level specs and +80/90% for the lower-level specs
Before you talk in absolutes, have an open mind and stop fear-mongering students who aren't to your "level" in taking two sets of board exams.
View attachment 360704

I highly suggest applicants listen to those of us who have been through this process, and were highly successful, instead of engaging in magical thinking.

It’s not fear mongering. It’s simply the truth.

I highly suggest applicants listen to those of us who have been through this process, and were highly successful, instead of engaging in magical thinking.

What "magical thinking"? I just showed you concrete data.

Agreed.

View attachment 360704
The people who made these types of arguments at my school were the ones who didn’t match.

You just posted a graph showing that taking the exam even with a low score increased your odds of matching in every field except FM and OBGYN.

And I’ve gotta wonder about the response rate for OBGYN because that match has been brutal for sometime. The DOs and IMGs I know who are in FM after failing to match OBGYN all say the same thing: they were held back by a lack of/a bad step 1 score. I even know one DO OBGYN applicant with no red flags who didn’t take step 1 but had a slightly above average step 2 score. Applied very broadly and got zero interviews.

Agreed.

The people who made these types of arguments at my school were the ones who didn’t match.

You just posted a graph showing that taking the exam even with a low score increased your odds of matching in every field except FM and OBGYN.

And I’ve gotta wonder about the response rate for OBGYN because that match has been brutal for sometime. The DOs and IMGs I know who are in FM after failing to match OBGYN all say the same thing: they were held back by a lack of/a bad step 1 score. I even know one DO OBGYN applicant with no red flags who didn’t take step 1 but had a slightly above average step 2 score. Applied very broadly and got zero interviews.

That's before the exam became P/F, and when step 1 was considered the norm.
By your guys' logic a fringe DO student who gets 600+ on Level 1 but decides to skip step 1 should just pack their bags and go look for another career? What a joke. The data shows that it's entirely possible to skip step 1 and still match (>50% odds at ortho); if you factor in a solid step 2 + step 1 becoming P/F - I would wager those odds are more likely to be higher going forward.

By your guys' logic a fringe DO student who gets 600+ on Level 1 but decides to skip step 1 should just pack their bags and go look for another career? What a joke. The data shows that it's entirely possible to skip step 1 and still match (>50% odds at ortho); if you factor in a solid step 2 + step 1 becoming P/F - I would wager those odds are more likely to be higher going forward.
but in order to get a solid step 2 score, you're probably more likely than not taking step 1 anyway. I don't think anyone is arguing that it's impossible to match without step 1, but there's no reason to think that only taking comlex is anything but lowering your competitiveness

Reactions: 2 users
Your data doesn’t show what you think it shows…
A P on Step 1 is the norm…. It always will be.

Ask any of us who have actually been through this process. All of us have many examples of your precise scenario. 600+ on level 1 doesn’t mean squat.. I can personally give you examples of 600+/700+ applicants who applied to my specialty without a Step 1 and got exactly 3 interviews. All to brand new HCA programs or undesirable DO places no one wanted to go to. The good DO places wouldn’t even interview them without Step scores.

You have multiple people, in residency who have done this process and know their program’s processes, telling you that you’re statements are incorrect. I couldn’t care less if you wish to pursue this route and see what happens. I only argue against you so all the lurkers reading don’t get sucked into making poor choices

Reactions: 2 users
The "concrete" data that you are showing is that outside of FM/Peds/OBGYN, is that not taking Step 1, at best, lowers your chance in matching by only 15% and lowers your chance at matching to the mid 70s percentage wise, and at worst, plummets it down to a ~1 in 2 chance of not matching.

That is a horrible strategy outside of applying to the less competitive programs in less competitive fields, as aforementioned. You should not use this strategy of not taking Step 1 and trying to realistically match into something "moderately" competitive like GS/Anesthesia/Rads. Sure, it's doable, but it clearly opens you up to such a significantly higher degree of risk of not matching anywhere, and practically shuts you out of a majority of programs you might otherwise target, which is just poor judgement.

If your emotions on the matter stem from feeling jaded about having to take two sets of board exams, you are not alone. We all agree and I encourage you to petition your school's administration to fight to make changes about requiring the less-recognized, less relevant board exam series 🥲

Last edited:
You are also assuming people will all of a sudden just stop unchecking a box that they have for years (decades?) just because it went pass fail. It’s easier for the programs to continue to check a box via muscle memory than to objectively think about not checking it this time because it’s pass fail now. You’re also starting to move the goal posts. You’re moving into the nuanced specialty. With the ortho match you are putting your eggs all in the DO basket realistically. Now if you move to something without so many former AOA spots then talk about that. ENT? Derm? Even a step down in competitiveness, rads? Gen surg (previously acgme prior to merger). All of these specialities would check that box.

It just makes no sense that a test would go from probably the single most important factor in an application to not even considered, only due to pass fail. Obviously these programs think STEP 1 is important. Thats why they placed so much weight on it in the first place. Like many have said, in any semi competitive specialty they expect a Pass

One thing everyone can agree on is that not taking step 1 will only potentially impede you and will serve no benefit. You kill it? Congrats you have a great equivalency metric. You fail it? Oh no.... just don't report it and apply like you never took it.

It is a minor inconvenience in the long run, so why not set yourself up for success.

The "concrete" data that you are showing is that outside of FM/Peds/OBGYN, is that not taking Step 1, at best, lowers your chance in matching by only 15% and lowers your chance at matching to the mid 70s percentage wise, and at worst, plummets it down to a ~1 in 2 chance of not matching.

That is a horrible strategy outside of applying to the less competitive programs in less competitive fields, as aforementioned. You should not use this strategy of not taking Step 1 and trying to realistically match into something "moderately" competitive like GS/Anesthesia/Rads. Sure, it's doable, but it clearly opens you up to such a significantly higher degree of risk of not matching anywhere, and practically shuts you out of a majority of programs you might otherwise target, which is just poor judgement.

If your emotions on the matter stem from feeling jaded about having to take two sets of board exams, you are not alone. We all agree and I encourage you to petition your school's administration to fight to make changes about requiring the less-recognized, less relevant board exam series 🥲
Also that data is from 2020. Look at the DO match stats for rads and gas in 2020 compared to this year. I am sure it would change this chart for the worse.