Should I Add More Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Careful-Classroom

Reaction score
Ok, so as the title says I’m wondering if I should add a few more schools to my list after I turn my last secondary application of these 32 in in 2 days. Here’s my profile as an applicant:

21, male, ORM, 3.9 GPA, 523 MCAT, English is my only language.

GA resident with strong ties to Michigan, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania. Rural/underserved medicine focus

Clinical: 250 hours scribing per AMCAS (150 hrs more since then), 75 hrs hospice volunteering

Non-clinical volunteering: 130 hrs Habitat for humanity
Shadowing: 60 hours neurosurgery and 8 hrs pediatric emergency medicine (I scribe in the ED too so I think this helps some with shadowing)

Research: 1 semester antivenom research (~75 hrs), no pubs

ECs: varsity college athlete (3000 hrs and counting)

Leadership committee position in athletics for the last year (1 hour per month)

Mental Health monitoring and referral role in athletics (275 hrs)

Current school list:
Emory
Medical College of Georgia
Mercer
Western Michigan
Wayne State
West Virginia
Thomas Jefferson
Iowa (carver)
Saint Louis
Pitt
Hofstra
Virginia
Michigan
USF Morsani
Creighton
Mayo (Minnesota)
Case Western
Penn State
Dartmouth
Cincinnati
Brown
VCU
Boston University
Rochester
UTSA
UTSW
Texas Tech Lubbock
Texas Tech El Paso
Texas A&M
McGovern
Baylor

I would really appreciate 3-5 schools to add to this list if the experts here think that’s wise. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure some of the resident experts will weigh in but my $0.02 is that you should add another 5 (or so) top 20's.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sure some of the resident experts will weigh in but my $0.02 is that you should add another 5 (or so) top 20's.
I was considering this but they’re all very research heavy and that’s the weakest part of my application…. Thank you for the advice though it’s always appreciated

Last edited:
Wash U
Vanderbilt

Both really like high stats.

Reactions: 1 user