Should I apply next year? Looking for feedback.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Majisk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am a non-traditional student who is looking to apply this upcoming summer. Currently I am looking for work and regularly volunteering on a weekly basis at after school programs.

My current overall undergraduate GPA (undergraduate and postbacc): ~2.9 / ~2.6 sGPa
My graduate oGPA: 3.31 / 3.13 sGPA (M.S. Physiology)
DAT scores: 22 PA/ 20 QR/ 24 RC/ 22 Bio/ 23 GC/ 20 OC/ 22 TS/ 22 AA
I have fulfilled my shadowing requirements with a general dentist, and I currently have enough volunteering hours. I lurked SDN for the past year or so and it seems like the master's GPA is dependent upon school. Would applying for the 2015-2016 cycle be worth a shot?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Any feedback is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. I am a non-traditional student who is looking to apply this upcoming summer. Currently I am looking for work and regularly volunteering on a weekly basis at after school programs.

My current overall undergraduate GPA (undergraduate and postbacc): ~2.9 / ~2.6 sGPa
My graduate oGPA: 3.31 / 3.13 sGPA (M.S. Physiology)
DAT scores: 22 PA/ 20 QR/ 24 RC/ 22 Bio/ 23 GC/ 20 OC/ 22 TS/ 22 AA
I have fulfilled my shadowing requirements with a general dentist, and I currently have enough volunteering hours. I lurked SDN for the past year or so and it seems like the master's GPA is dependent upon school. Would applying for the 2015-2016 cycle be worth a shot?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Any feedback is appreciated.

Your DAT scores are excellent but your graduate GPA will not impress adcoms. Any student in a SMP or Masters program should maintain a high GPA in the program. A gpa of 3.7 is the consensus around here and many students that have achieved that level of success which shows in their interview offers.

While @ICUrunning is right, If you apply and right as applications open (first week of june) and turn everything in by that first week, i'm confident you'll get interviews no doubt. Yes the GPA is low, but those DAT numbers. Just make sure you submit everything in by the first week!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your DAT scores are excellent but your graduate GPA will not impress adcoms. Any student in a SMP or Masters program should maintain a high GPA in the program. A gpa of 3.7 is the consensus around here and many students that have achieved that level of success which shows in their interview offers.
Thank you for the heads up and the reply!
While @ICUrunning is right, If you apply and right as applications open (first week of june) and turn everything in by that first week, i'm confident you'll get interviews no doubt. Yes the GPA is low, but those DAT numbers. Just make sure you submit everything in by the first week!
I received the same advice from a fellow pre-dental student I asked- thank you for the reply!

So you are done with school?

You have 3 months to do the following:
1.) Lots of volunteering
2.) Lots of shadowing
3.) Get a bit of research experience

Those things can all set you apart from other applicants despite your mediocre GPAs.

I think you should try for next year because your graduate score is not so good.

So you are done with school?

You have 3 months to do the following:
1.) Lots of volunteering
2.) Lots of shadowing
3.) Get a bit of research experience

Those things can all set you apart from other applicants despite your mediocre GPAs.

Thank you for the feedback! Yes, I am done with school. I am currently volunteering about 6 hours a week and have been since last year on a consistent basis. Currently I am at around 200+ hours at two locations as a tutor. I shadowed a general dentist for a year before starting graduate school. Research experience is something I lack- I will look into it.

I think you should try for next year because your graduate score is not so good.

Thank you for the feedback! Would you say I have no chance at being accepted/interviewed this upcoming cycle?

You have a chance, there is no reason not to apply this cycle so long as you apply broadly. The average GPA at some schools hovers around the 3.3 - 3.4 mark (Boston and New York for example). Those schools are expensive though.