Should I apply out of state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darmalee

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm finishing up my application and trying to decide whether or not to apply out of state. My stats look like this:
GPA - 3.39
sGPA - 3.40
MCAT - 33S
4 and a half years in the Army, honorable discharge
Approximately 200 volunteer hours, mostly healthcare related
16 hours of shadowing - pediatricians and a urologist.
Texas resident

I know my GPA is low, but my MCAT score is above average. I'm applying to all the MD schools in Texas, including Baylor, which means that I'm already doing the AMCAS application. UT Houston is my top choice, but in all reality, my favorite medical school is the one that lets me in. I'm willing to go anywhere, but I don't know if it would be reasonable to apply elsewhere. Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm finishing up my application and trying to decide whether or not to apply out of state. My stats look like this:
GPA - 3.39
sGPA - 3.40
MCAT - 33S
Texas resident

I know my GPA is low, but my MCAT score is above average. I'm applying to all the MD schools in Texas, including Baylor, which means that I'm already doing the AMCAS application. UT Houston is my top choice, but in all reality, my favorite medical school is the one that lets me in. I'm willing to go anywhere, but I don't know if it would be reasonable to apply elsewhere. Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated!
OP, unless they've changed things, you're already paying for applying to ten schools when you fill out AMCAS. So sure, pick at least another nine besides Baylor and get your money's worth! (FWIW though, Baylor is awesome, and it's so cheap for you that it'd be tough to do better if you get in there.)

As for where else to apply, yeah, your GPA is a little low, but not prohibitively low. Get yourself an MSAR if you haven't already, and take a look through it. Start by eliminating all states where you wouldn't want to live, and all schools that don't accept TX residents. Look at the schools' mission statements and websites. I doubt you'll have trouble finding at least nine more that sound tempting. :)

GPA - 3.39
sGPA - 3.40
MCAT - 33S
Texas resident

If you want to gain admission this cycle (and my feeling is that you should be okay), you must apply to more schools, including out-of-state.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to gain admission this cycle (and my feeling is that you should be okay), you must apply to more schools, including out-of-state.

I looked into what Q said, and unless I'm reading it wrong, I have to pay per school on AMCAS, and then there's the cost of secondaries to be considered also. I totally understand the concept of better chances with an increased number of schools applied to, but I'm also trying to be cost effective.

I'm realistic enough to know that my chances at private schools are low, and I know that most state schools are mainly interested in accepting students that they feel will stay in their state to practice so they don't tend to accept high numbers of out of state students. At least, I know that is the case in Texas. I suppose I shouldn't assume that is true throughout the country. I'm trying to get an idea if, with my numbers, is it realistic to apply outside of Texas, where I think I have the best chance since there are so many state schools.

I think I may just be panicking at the idea that in the next week or so I'm submitting my application and then just crossing my fingers from then. I want to have the best chance possible, but I also don't have tons of money to just apply to every school in the country. :(

I looked into what Q said, and unless I'm reading it wrong, I have to pay per school on AMCAS, and then there's the cost of secondaries to be considered also. I totally understand the concept of better chances with an increased number of schools applied to, but I'm also trying to be cost effective.

I'm realistic enough to know that my chances at private schools are low, and I know that most state schools are mainly interested in accepting students that they feel will stay in their state to practice so they don't tend to accept high numbers of out of state students. At least, I know that is the case in Texas. I suppose I shouldn't assume that is true throughout the country. I'm trying to get an idea if, with my numbers, is it realistic to apply outside of Texas, where I think I have the best chance since there are so many state schools.

I think I may just be panicking at the idea that in the next week or so I'm submitting my application and then just crossing my fingers from then. I want to have the best chance possible, but I also don't have tons of money to just apply to every school in the country. :(

You're not counting all of your money when you make this decision.

1) Count the cost of the education and time that you have put into this already
2) Count the cost of going another year without an acceptance
3) Count the cost of applying next year to more schools. This year's money will have been wasted.

There are many private schools at which you have a chance. Post your stats in the "Chance me" forum and get some ideas on where to apply.

Unless they've changed things, you're already paying for applying to ten schools when you fill out AMCAS.

This got me really excited, but then I went and looked and saw that my original understanding was right...for this year it's 160 to apply to one school, and 33 per school thereafter. That is for the AMCAS primary. I guess those bastards did change things. That's without Fee Assistance.

But to the OP, there are quite a few state schools that don't completely exclude OOS apps. Check out an MSAR, or alternatively, just go down the list of schools on wikipedia or something, and read their websites. Schools that don't consider OOS apps will say so explicitly, or will say something like, "only OOS apps with strong ties to our state should consider applying."

This got me really excited, but then I went and looked and saw that my original understanding was right...for this year it's 160 to apply to one school, and 33 per school thereafter. That is for the AMCAS primary. I guess those bastards did change things. That's without Fee Assistance.
Sorry for the false hopes. I applied six years ago, so I suppose it's not surprising that things might have changed a bit. :oops:

Six years ago....dang. :eek:

If it makes you all feel any better, ERAS is a lot cheaper. You really do get your first ten programs included in the registration fee. Well, at least we did when I applied. :smuggrin:

Sorry for the false hopes. I applied six years ago, so I suppose it's not surprising that things might have changed a bit. :oops:

I'm totally going to sue you for emotional damages equal to the 297 dollars I thought I was about to save. :laugh:

If it makes you all feel any better, ERAS is a lot cheaper. You really do get your first ten programs included in the registration fee. Well, at least we did when I applied. :smuggrin:

If I bust my ass and manage to get that far, I'll have a nice bittersweet laugh when they change that the year before I apply, too.