Should I apply this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snook1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the DAT last sunday, and did not think I would score above a 19. I haven't even started any applications. Now that I took it and got a 20, I am curious if it is probably too late to get into a school with my scores. As far as extracurriculars, I have 100 volunteer hours at a cancer center, and only ~8 shadowing hours. Schools I'd like to attend are UF, or Lecom. Otherwise, any school close to Florida. My stats are below. I also do not have any letters of recommendation yet. I know I am way behind, but I just wanted to know if my chances are good for getting in this cycle. Thanks guys!

GPA: 3.83, 3.8 science

DAT:
AA:20
PAT: 20
Ochem: 22
Bio: 20
Gchem: 20
Read: 20
QR: 17

Members don't see this ad.

I took the DAT last sunday, and did not think I would score above a 19. I haven't even started any applications. Now that I took it and got a 20, I am curious if it is probably too late to get into a school with my scores. As far as extracurriculars, I have 100 volunteer hours at a cancer center, and only ~8 shadowing hours. Schools I'd like to attend are UF, or Lecom. Otherwise, any school close to Florida. My stats are below. I also do not have any letters of recommendation yet. I know I am way behind, but I just wanted to know if my chances are good for getting in this cycle. Thanks guys!

GPA: 3.83, 3.8 science

DAT:
AA:20
PAT: 20
Ochem: 22
Bio: 20
Gchem: 20
Read: 20
QR: 17
most schools require at least 50 shadowing hours. I'm not sure about Florida schools specifically but a lot won't take your application seriously with only 8 shadowing hours. Not having any LORs or anything will put you pretty far behind. Personally I would shadow more, build up lots of hours, more volunteer hours, get LORs early and apply next cycle. :)

Its a long shot mostly because you will have to bug the hell out if your professors and desntist to get your letters and that alone can set you back a few months.

But if you still want to try it, i think you have very good stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's what I gathered: Above average GPA, average-ish DAT, and seemingly below average extracurriculars. 8 shadowing hours. Narrow school list.

Should you apply? Sure, but you've shot yourself in the foot waiting until now to consider starting the process. The letters of rec could take weeks to put together, depending on your professors/dentist (school is in session). Let's say you finish your app by Oct 1st. That means you are about 4 months behind the first applications, if I'm recalling correctly. Not the end of the world, but for a person who wants to stay in FL, and only has 8 shadowing hours, it could make the difference.

Then again, I'm not an Adcom. If I was you, I would apply and take my chances. There's always next year if you don't make the cut.

Posted using SDN Mobile

I am in the same boat. I just took my DAT August 26th and am planning to turn in my application today. I wouldn't ever wait this late, but didn't want to waste my money on applications if I didn't do well on the DAT. Is it too late to apply or should I just give it a shot anyways??!

Here's what I gathered: Above average GPA, average-ish DAT, and seemingly below average extracurriculars. 8 shadowing hours. Narrow school list.

Your DAT score is average for accepted applicants, it is not average for all test takers. I believe the average among all test takers is a 17.

Reactions: 1 user