Should I apply this term or wait until next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IVfentanyl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.8 GPA and scored a mere 20O. It's truly disheartening. Should I apply this term and hope for the best? I have many EC's (volunteer, research, publications, etc.) and wonderful letters of recommendation. I'm not sure if I can physically handle studying for the MCAT again this year. I would appreciate all the input I can receive (try to remain positive, I'm currently circling the drain lol). I just feel like my application is ready to go, I might as well send it out and hope for an interview. Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

That's a great GPA, but your right, the MCAT is low. If you don't mind the possibility of losing all of the money you put into the application process, then yea it would be a good idea. Let's face it, what is the worst they can say?

If they do reject you, they can tell you to an extent on what you did wrong or what they would want you to improve on in the future.

Note: It is easier to get into state schools of the state that you belong to, rather than out of state schools.

I know a guy in my home state that got in our state school with a 3.6 and a 24P. He got in first time. How? He wooed them during the interview somehow.

best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I would save up my money and try the MCAT agian.

What did you do to prepare for the MCAT?

Course? Independent Study? Which books if so? Did you take any of the practice MCAT test from e-mcat.com?

independent study, i took all the aamc practice tests and scored decent (27 avg). i studied from a kaplan book also. i felt confident going in, but when i started my exam i could not calm down for the life of me. my heart rate was through the roof lol, i'm not sure what i'm going to do yet. ahh so frustrating

I'd recommend studying the examkrackers books. Alot of people in my class started with kaplan and hated it, then they switched to Exkr and started scoring better on their practice test. That's just my class though.

I studied with Examkrackers books, audio osmosis, and i bought 6 of the practice test off www.e-mcat.com. The test off e-mcat.com are old mcat test they were in circulation. Ironically enough 5 questions that were on my practice test showed up on my actual MCAT.

My advice is, study hard for a couple weeks to about 2 months and give it another shot. If it was just your nerves, then I am sure, even if you do not study again, your score will improve dramatically.

All you would need is around 6 more points to get into a med school. Thats just 2 points per section. And who knows, maybe you got a bogus MCAT that time around.

The only reason I got what I got on my MCAT is becasue 6 out of the 7 passages delt with organic chemistry. Ironically enough, that was my best class in undergrad. So I got pretty lucky with taking the June MCAT.

Wow, you've been so extremely helpful. I really appreciate it, and I'm going to soak in whatever you say because are are already a MS lol. I guess I will retake then! BTW (I scored 8PS 8BS and, well, you can subtract from 20 for my VR haha) I will def do the EK for VR. Thanks! I should be more calm this time around.

Yea, it sounds like you got a bad MCAT. The highest I could score on a practice MCAT was 26. Then my actual was 28. It pretty much comes down to being awake the morning you take it and the MCAT you get.

best of luck