Should I apply this year, or wait another year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DavidBrent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've been reading this forum for awhile and I was hoping to get some feedback about my situation.

I'm a Canadian student going into my fourth year. I'm not sure how the GPA system works in the US, but I've had two very good academic years (1st and 3rd year = all A's) but I had a stumbling in my 2nd year (All B's and one A). I'm not sure what GPA this would give me, but I'm extremely concerned that because of one bad year, I won't be a strong contender for top Clincial programs.

So, my question is, should I wait to apply after 4th year (after hopefully another good year) or should I take my chances and apply this year? Can one bad academic year ruin my chances?

In terms of my GRE, I'm studying for them as we speak and will be taking it in August, so I don't have my score yet.

I also have 2 years of RA experience, and I'm doing my 4th year honours thesis in the fall.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't sound like your worst year was that bad. Given that it's countered by good grades, I would worry too much about it. However, I recommend to everyone that they take time off, regardless of their grades, if they want to get into top clinical programs. Research experience is so critical to admissions, and having a post-bachelor's research job on your resume is invaluable. Furthermore, having the extra year to dwell on what you want your research interests to be (and gaining valuable experience) can only help you succeed once you get to grad school.

If you're right out of undergrad, waiting a year (or more) to apply is almost always a good idea, whatever your GPA. Even with RA experience, most grad schools like to see you pursue your research or clinical interests full-time for a year or two - it shows you can keep it together in the 'real world', and it shows you're really committed. People do get in straight out of undergrad, but if you're comfortable taking a year to work in a related area full time, I think it's definitely in your best interest to do so.