Should I apply to DO just in case ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted910026

I am really anxious that I won’t make it to MD schools because I heard some horrible news from my coworker (orm, 78 lm with multiple pubs , one first author pub, plus tons of volunteering, rejected from everything fist round, pulled off waitlist for state MD second round) who are leaving work for med school now. I have lm of 77, all my ec are just cookie-cutter/checking off the box ( which is why I m hopeing for my stat alone to push through DO) I have zero II so far even from mid-low tier MD. I hate my gap year job and I don’t want to wait another year, should I apply to DO just in case I don’t get in any Md schools ? I am doing internal medicine so I don’t really care about competitiveness for residency. Thanks for help !

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I mean why not. You listed valid reasons why you should apply to DO. Best of luck!

Btw, don't compare you application to someone else. What if their personal statement or other parts of the application sucked. Every app is different in some ways

Reactions: 1 users
I am really anxious that I won’t make it to MD schools because I heard some horrible news from my coworker (orm, 78 lm with multiple pubs , one first author pub, plus tons of volunteering, rejected from everything fist round, pulled off waitlist for state MD second round) who are leaving work for med school now. I have lm of 77, all my ec are just cookie-cutter/checking off the box ( which is why I m hopeing for my stat alone to push through DO) I have zero II so far even from mid-low tier MD. I hate my gap year job and I don’t want to wait another year, should I apply to DO just in case I don’t get in any Md schools ? I am doing internal medicine so I don’t really care about competitiveness for residency. Thanks for help !
If you get no love from MD by end of Oct, then apply DO as insurance. My school will take you!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to be a DO and have looked into it. Many people who apply late DO on this site end up posting later on “should I reapply or take DO acceptance?”

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
If you want to be a DO and have looked into it. Many people who apply late DO on this site end up posting later on “should I reapply or take DO acceptance?”
Yep, and then guys like me will ask why would you apply to a school that you don't want to go to? Make sure you understand exactly what the implications of being admitted to a DO school represents to you now and in the coming years.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I would. I was a former RN and just wanted to be a doc. Worked with tons of docs DO and MD that I had no clue who was who, I just knew they were physicians and capable. I passed step 1, comlex 1, am doing well in step 2 prep, have learned A LOT and I honestly don't feel any lesser as a DO student. Evals have been outstanding and some of the MD's have even been interested in me showing them some easy OMM to help their patients w/ carpal tunnel, low back pain etc. I feel well set up for residency at my school. Lots of people at my school have matched competitive residences even as DO students and the bias is only lessening with the merger. It's a personal decision but in the real world DO vs MD doesn't matter.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd absolutely say yes! I felt the same way when I started researching DO schools, a little hesitant because of the undeserved stigma, but I realized that since my motivation is to be a physician, I can achieve this goal through MD or DO. Your stats and experiences, which are superb btw, will definitely draw a lot of interest from DO schools. If your main goal is to be a physician, apply MD and DO. Since you aspire to do IM, definitely do it.

I would say yes if you plan on going to a DO if it's your only acceptance.
If you're going to make a post 6 months from now about reapplying to an MD, then don't waste your time or money on it.

Just wanted to add some texture. 70 to 80% of DOs enter primary care. FM, IM, Peds, Ob/Gyn. Matching in residency is much more competitive than it was 10 yrs ago. Why? A bunch of new schools opened and residency slots haven't kept up with the increase in graduating students. MDs and DOs. Match rates have decreased, more so for DOs than MDs. Review Charting Outcome 2022 and you will see to what degree. I mention this as a DO, you will have to have a good app to match the residency of your choice. Good luck and best wishes!

What is your state of residence? If you come from California, New Hampshire, Rhode Island or any other state where there are few or no state owned allopathic medical school seats relative to the population, you should give serious consideration to applying to those DO schools with good clinical rotations.