Should I apply to other schools while being in an early acceptance program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent127

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
This is my first post:)
I recently ran into a dilemma. After graduating high school, I applied and was accepted to an early acceptance program to a medical school in my state. What this basically means is that if I kept a certain GPA and met the required MCAT score, I would be guaranteed a spot in medical school the year I applied. My program encourages us to apply out to other medical schools as well, and I had always planned to do this. Now, I just received the MCAT score I needed for my program. I went to talk to my program coordinator and I mentioned how I wanted to apply to other schools. He said that in his opinion it was not ethically correct for me to apply to other schools after being accepted to this program. He said it was wrong because when I accepted the position in my program, I basically took that opportunity from someone else. He said that because my program had invested in me with MCAT prep and summer workshops, they did all this with the idea that I would be loyal to that program and attend that medical school. In essence, I would be telling the school my program is in conjunction with that they are not good enough for me. In my opinion, because I did not sign a binding contract and have been encouraged to apply to other schools by the program director, I do not see a problem with applying to other schools. There is no paperwork that states that I must attend this school. I think that I should be allowed to try my luck and apply to all schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I would double check and just make absolutely sure that applying to other schools doesn't disqualify you from the program. Assuming it doesn't, yes definitely apply to other schools! You should go to the best school/best fit that you can. I really don't think its unethical.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I say you 100% apply to other places, if you wish. Half of these schools could care less about the personal lives of the applicants, but expect students to bend over backwards for them. Definetly apply elsewhere if you think youd attend!

Reactions: 1 user
Assuming your other activities and GPA are solid, you've got great odds! Absolutely worth the effort to apply to other schools. Shame on this program coordinator for trying to guilt trip you. Also sounds like they and the program director need to get on the same page.

Reactions: 1 users
Assuming your other activities and GPA are solid, you've got great odds! Absolutely worth the effort to apply to other schools. Shame on this program coordinator for trying to guilt trip you. Also sounds like they and the program director need to get on the same page.
omg thanks so much! yeah I got a little upset when he told me it wasn't "ethically right"! I never wanted to be forced to go a specific medical school and when I applied to this program I made sure it wasn't a binding contract.

omg thanks so much! yeah I got a little upset when he told me it wasn't "ethically right"! I never wanted to be forced to go a specific medical school and when I applied to this program I made sure it wasn't a binding contract.

I actually agree with your advisor that it's, at best, an ethically gray action.

But I don't really disagree that you should apply to other schools if your program isn't binding. You only get one shot at this. Make it count.