Should I ask for LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musicalfeet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I might just be overthinking things...but today while I was at research, my PI and I were just chatting about various things (towards the end, when I was about to leave). She mentioned earlier in the day that she believed she could write a LOR that could definitely help my application. But later on in the day as I was wrapping up, she off-handedly mentioned that she thought while I wasn't bad, I was rushing some of my work and advised me to slow down, since I've made a few mistakes before. I'm afraid that she now thinks that I'm careless--or that she doesn't think I was as good as the last student there. I've always planned on asking her for a LOR (I've been with her for a year now, and we seemed to get along well), but the comment today scared me a bit. I'm definitely going to "work slower" and be more careful, but I'm scared I may have messed up her image of me already.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you are over thinking things.

I'm assuming that you worked with your PI for months or even years? First take a few deep breaths. Now ask yourself if you really think you screwed up so badly that in just a couple of hours you managed to destroy the reputation that you built up over the course of hundreds of days. (Hint: The only way you could have done this is if you literally slapped your PI across the face.)

You're fine.

If she mentioned she could write you a LOR, then yes. Definitely ask. They want what is best for you, hence the constructive criticism. If your PI did not care, she would have had a more stern "talk." You're golden, ponyboy!