should i be putting that a school is my number 1 in a LOI even if it may not be true?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bceagle411

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

I was shadowing an ENT one time and there was a visiting med student from Yale. He told her that when talking to residencies, you should say that the program is "in my top 2" rather than say "you're my top program." But I guess this was because residency programs all talk to each other.

I still wouldn't specifically assign a number. I'd probably say stuff along the lines of "I am still very interested in your program and would love the opportunity to attend your school."

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think the admission committee is naive enough to take any pre med student words about their school being his/her number one choice? Even if they entertain the idea, it won't make any difference on their decision. They want the best student for their school not just anyone who's desperate to get into their school. The only time this is even mildly relevant is when you're on the waitlist of a school with extensive movement. Trust me, they don't care if you dream about their med school every night let alone being number one choice

Do you think the admission committee is naive enough to take any pre med student words about their being his/her number one choice? Even if they entertain the idea, it won't make any difference on their decision. They want the best student for their school not just anyone who's desperate to get into their school. The only time this is even mildly relevant is when you're on the waitlist of a school with extensive movement. Trust me, they don't care if you dream about their med school every night let alone being number one choice

This is for Georgetown which does seem to have extensive WL movement. So does that change the answer?

I was shadowing an ENT one time and there was a visiting med student from Yale. He told her that when talking to residencies, you should say that the program is "in my top 2" rather than say "you're my top program." But I guess this was because residency programs all talk to each other.

I still wouldn't specifically assign a number. I'd probably say stuff along the lines of "I am still very interested in your program and would love the opportunity to attend your school."
You're in my top 2 means you're #2. If they were #1 you'd tell them that.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. This was from who I understand is one of the heads of the ENT residency at this particular hospital. And the ENT program here is considered one of the best in the country.

YMMV.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. This was from who I understand is one of the heads of the ENT residency at this particular hospital. And the ENT program here is considered one of the best in the country.

YMMV.
It's a common thing, but let's just be clear about the message. It doesn't fool anyone.

Do you have a good chance of getting into your #1? if not, then your #2 is your practical #1

Don't say a number. Say something like, "one of my top choices" or "can see myself really thriving at your school" or pretty much anything without a number or explicit promise to attend if accepted that still gets your interest across.

The Admissions deans know that you're lying, just like every hot chick know that guys are lying when the say "but I'll respect you in the morning!"

These love letters really don't do anything.

How important do you think schools consider matriculants to acceptances ratio? Obviously that ratio will go up somewhat if those LOI love letters did anything.

Georgetown is an exception to a lot of the "rules" SDN has about applying.
They won't even look at your application once you're on the WL unless you write a Letter of Interest.

OP, write the LOI (interest or intent) and get off the WL. Withdraw and matriculate if you get accepted to your actual #1 choice. The better part of me wants to encourage you to just write a letter of interest, not intent, but Georgetown all but says at the interview day that they expect a letter of intent from WL applicants, so it is what it is. They made they game, we're just playing in it.

Reactions: 1 users