Should I be worried about my interviewing skills

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Telomeres

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interviewed at 5 schools, however got rejected from my state school and haven't heard from 2 schools that began extending acceptances 2 days ago. Should I be worried my interviewing skills are lackluster, I have a 30+ mcat, good gpa and good ec's w/ lots of clinical exposure

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe....while reason tells me that you are fine, my fellow neurotic applicant side would be a little worried if I were in your place given the rejection rather than waitlist at your state school :oops:

Think back, do you think that there was any common hiccup during all three interviews you are concerned about? Did the interviewers bring up certain topics you may have failed to explain well, like academic lapses or institutional action?

What I would do is figure out whether everyone from your interview day has seemed to have heard back from the two schools you are waiting on. I would do this through the SDN school-specific forums. I have seen some people post about calling the admissions office and asking about their interview day and when decisions may be released, so maybe you can check with the schools directly.

If all the decisions haven't come out, then you have to sit tight, maybe your application didn't make it to the committee meeting that decided on this round of acceptances. It's pointless to worry right now since you can't do anything to change what happened and with only one rejection most people here will probably tell you to relax. That said, if you have additional interviews coming up soon, it's critical that you identify any missteps you may be making during the interviews so that you can fix your skills.

Thank you for giving such a thorough answer. I will definitely be patient and hopefully focus on addressing my weaknesses during the interview trail.

Try e-mailing or calling your state school's admissions office and ask what it was about your application that you should work on improving.