Should I bother applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morquex

Reaction score
Long story short.

Beginning: Classic 0 effort cocky/arrogant HS student with great (97+ percentile) AP/SAT scores. Immigrant, grew up with single teacher mom, rest of family (Father and uncle well established doctors) 5,000 miles away.

Downfall: Crash and burn. Kicked out of first school at 21 years old (2015) 0.7 GPA. Developed mental health (depression/anxiety) and addiction issues.

Comeback: Spring, summer, fall of 2017 full time at community college 4.0 GPA.
2018 and 2019 spring, summer, fall full time at four year school, Chemistry Major 3.35 GPA.

Present: VA state of residence.
Took MCAT sept 2020 (513), January 2021 (514). No mental health or addiction issues.
Working at Covid lab.
3.35 GPA at school where I graduated, 3.3 sGPA.
Averaged with CC should be 3.6 sGPA and 3.7 cGPA.

0.7 school were the same 4 classes taken for three semesters straight. Retook them at new school.
The TOTAL avg would be a 3.0 cGPA and sGPA
<50 hr volunteering.
100+ hours clinical/patient experience if you count covid work.

No research or shadowing experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Any clinical experience/volunteering or nonclinical volunteering? What's your cGPA and sGPA?

Any clinical experience/volunteering or nonclinical volunteering? What's your cGPA and sGPA?
<50 hr volunteering.
If you count time at work doing covid collections then I could add some experience hours.
3.35 cumulative GPA at my second school. Science was 3.3.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where is your state of residence ? What are your cGPA and sGPA including all undergraduate level courses ? Do you have any clinical volunteering or employment hours with patient contact ?

Where is your state of residence ? What are your cGPA and sGPA including all undergraduate level courses ? Do you have any clinical volunteering or employment hours with patient contact ?
Virginia.
I don’t know if they average CC with 4yr school but averaged should be 3.6 sGPA and 3.7 cGPA.
I have 100+ patient hours if you count covid work.

Help us out here, OP. We need your year by year GPAs, as well as your TOTAL cGPA and sGPA.

You need to figure this out as if you were filling out the AMCAS and AACOMAS forms, and I think that there are stickies for these, somewhere.

I see a decent bit of reinvention, but a 3.35 GPA won't be enough for mD schools. Seem to be OK for DO.

Read this:

Help us out here, OP. We need your year by year GPAs, as well as your TOTAL cGPA and sGPA.

You need to figure this out as if you were filling out the AMCAS and AACOMAS forms, and I think that there are stickies for these, somewhere.

I see a decent bit of reinvention, but a 3.35 GPA won't be enough for mD schools. Seem to be OK for DO.

Read this:
Are you averaging in the credits from the 0.7 GPA too?
No. Those were the same 4 classes taken three separate semesters. I retook them again at CC/3.35 school. TOTAL GPA would be 3.0 for both cGPA and sGPA.

Last edited:
You could receive interview at these DO schools with your stats:
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
ACOM
WCU-COM
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
MU-COM
UIWSOM
LECOM (all schools)
ATSU-SOMA
LMU-DCOM
BCOM
LUCOM
ICOM
Noorda-COM

You could receive interview at these DO schools with your stats:
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
ACOM
WCU-COM
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
MU-COM
UIWSOM
LECOM (all schools)
ATSU-SOMA
LMU-DCOM
BCOM
LUCOM
ICOM
Noorda-COM

In other words, don’t bother applying, get experience and apply next year.