Should I buy Tintinelli's 7th edition...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Armymed2015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
or hold out and wait for 8th to come out? I've seen it mentioned online that 8th was supposed to come out years ago, but I don't see anything concrete for a release date. For what it's worth I'm an incoming EM intern, and my program gives us an electronic copy of the text. However, I prefer written text to reading on my laptop. I am also considering buying a tablet instead of buying the book. Does anybody with more experience have a suggestion?

Members don't see this ad.

Frankly who uses books nowadays? I remember buying one of these texts when I was in residency mainly because I felt obligated. Never used it much. As an attending I'm not even sure where it is, or what it was called. I always thought there were better and more efficient ways of getting information in my brain. I would wait considering how quickly textbooks become out of date, and would encourage you to stick with the free electronic version. YMMV

I always thought there were better and more efficient ways of getting information in my brain. I would wait considering how quickly textbooks become out of date, and would encourage you to stick with the free electronic version. YMMV
The benefit of a textbook is that in service exams and board exams are based on more established school of thought like that in textbooks and not based on the latest greatest, hottest and controversial areas of new thinking. It's important to know what the cutting edge is and also know "what's in the book" because that's what you're tested on.

Knowing both sides also lets you see that a lot of the hot new lines of thinking, treatments and diagnostic approaches fall by the wayside and never become established or accepted as mainstream.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any residency program is affiliated with some medical school. That medical school does (should) have online access to those same texts. Read them on your iPad. Weighs and costs less.

The benefit of a textbook is that in service exams and board exams are based on more established school of thought like that in textbooks and not based on the latest greatest, hottest and controversial areas of new thinking.

That may be true but textbooks are a poor way of studying for certification or inservice exams. So if that is your justification you can pass and do PEER, 1200 questions, or whatever else is out these days.

The benefit of a textbook is that in service exams and board exams are based on more established school of thought like that in textbooks and not based on the latest greatest, hottest and controversial areas of new thinking. It's important to know what the cutting edge is and also know "what's in the book" because that's what you're tested on.

Fact. I wouldn't choose Tintinalli (or Rosen's) but there's no doubt you need a book for inservice

Eh....I'm a reader so I valued it. I'm a PGY-2 and I've essentially read Tintinalli's cover to cover. My program gave it to us during orientation of internship.

If you're a reader, it's worth the buy, although I'm surprised your program doesn't pay for it?

Inevitably, if you wait, it will not come out for another 2 years. If you buy it, the new one will come out in 2 weeks. C'est la vie.

Eh....I'm a reader so I valued it. I'm a PGY-2 and I've essentially read Tintinalli's cover to cover. My program gave it to us during orientation of internship.

If you're a reader, it's worth the buy, although I'm surprised your program doesn't pay for it?

Inevitably, if you wait, it will not come out for another 2 years. If you buy it, the new one will come out in 2 weeks. C'est la vie.

You just momentarily made me feel like I should be reading during my day off. . . but I think I'm going to the brewery instead.

Big ups to you though, thats impressive.

Reactions: 1 users