Medical Should I consider a school in "pre-accreditation" status?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
I don't know much about accreditation, but I am interested in University of Houston COM which is"pre-accredited" and cite that they will be fully accredited 2 years before I would finish the program. Is this a massive risk to take, or is it something that won't hold the students back? I have no clue how that effects residency matching. I assume all schools had to go through this process at some point.

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

There are risks associated with being at any new school. They're probably working out the kinks of their curriculum, and while getting full accreditation is probably extremely likely I suppose there is some possibility it won't be.

Of course, these schools tend to be easier to get into. So I would worry about this only if you wind up in the happy position of having multiple options.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never can recommend a new school until they graduate a class. It takes time for a faculty to gel in delivering a curriculum, rotation sites can be limited and problematic (and easily lost by the school to another med school), oversight of clinical education is limited, and student support will be also limited.

I didn't want to go to a school because I would have been in their first class, however, they are doing extremely well now. Most of the time it works out, but you may get frustrated while the school is working out the kinks with classes, rotations, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.