Should I continue PT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strivehigh

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just finished my first year of PT school. I’m about to start my second year in a few days. I finished with a 3.99 GPA, but I feel like I am living a miserable life to maintain that GPA because all I do is study. I never go out, I don’t hangout with anyone really, I just study - and it sucks. And it’s not like I can just stop or slow down because if I do, grades will go down the toilet. And even though my grades are high, I hardly remember anything I even leaned! I can recall maybe 20% of everything I’ve learned all year if that. Also, I’m beginning to think I’m incapable of thinking on my feet during important practicals or presentations because I spend so much time memorizing scripts beforehand due to fear of embarrassment from messing up. Here’s the thing, I’m not trying to completely bash myself or the program, I’m just being realistic I can see myself being a PT because I like what they do and what they stand for plus I’ve heard the actual job isn’t that bad. But I don’t know if I can see myself physically getting there again because I tend to freeze up when I’m not prepared with an answer and am relying on memorization to get me through. I don’t know. I’ll give it at least this summer semester before making any large decisions, but what do some of you think here? Are or have any of you been in this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you finished with a 3.99 GPA, chances are you are just not comfortable enough in certain situations to be able to apply all that knowledge. Trust me, you know stuff, it's just the unfamiliar settings/situations that are throwing you off. You will eventually get used to it, you will have ups and downs but there are mentors/clinical instructors who really lets you be comfortable so you can start applying your knowledge. Once you have that experience, I think things will be a lot better for you. So if you want to do PT, don't give up.

Reactions: 1 user
So you can let your grades slip... a lot. As long as you are meeting the criteria of your program (3.0 or something likely), you are fine. Grades do not matter in PT school! It sounds like you are focused more on getting the A then learning. While you'd think these should be the same thing, they aren't. Try to trade in some of the time you are studying for the test to focus on learning and applying. The benefit is this can be more group based and practice with others, which will help you feel more social.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did that much studying in undergrad: had no life outside of school for 1.5 years (then it became easier). But it was 100% worth it. I went back to normal life when the worst was over. 1-2 years of sacrifice for 80 years of your life is worth it. lol
Since you have worked super hard and have GPA 3.99, you do not need to worry about your grades too much anymore. Most schools want you to maintain 3.0 GPA, so if in the 2nd year you get all Cs (which probably will not happen in your case), you will still maintain GPA average 3.0 and will be just fine.
It's normal you do not remember most of the stuff you memorize or learn. It is a very fast pace program. The good news is that for the rest 2 years material in your classes will become more and more repetitive. You will be going through the same material with some extra information again and again. Those repetitions will make you remember what you have been learning better and prepare you for the boards. I think the worst is over for you. 2nd year should be easier.
When you start working, you will have choice where to work and how many hours to work. So you are correct, your work life as a PT can be very low stress if that is what you prefer it to be.
I know it is easier to say than do, but please do not be embarrassed about not knowing something. You have already proved to yourself and to your program that you can have the highest grades possible. At the end of the day, after you graduate, it will not matter if your GPA is 4.0 or 3.0. 99% of the time no one is going to ask you what your GPA in PT school was. They will ask what your PT license number - that's all an employer needs.
And there is nothing wrong to say that you do not know an answer to something. We will have to say that to patients as well. We cannot know everything,

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you all for the replies. I’ll take your thoughts into consideration. I’m dreading going back on Monday, but hopefully this semester gives me more hope about continuing on through the program.

So I just finished my first year of PT school. I’m about to start my second year in a few days. I finished with a 3.99 GPA, but I feel like I am living a miserable life to maintain that GPA because all I do is study. I never go out, I don’t hangout with anyone really, I just study - and it sucks. And it’s not like I can just stop or slow down because if I do, grades will go down the toilet. And even though my grades are high, I hardly remember anything I even leaned! I can recall maybe 20% of everything I’ve learned all year if that. Also, I’m beginning to think I’m incapable of thinking on my feet during important practicals or presentations because I spend so much time memorizing scripts beforehand due to fear of embarrassment from messing up. Here’s the thing, I’m not trying to completely bash myself or the program, I’m just being realistic I can see myself being a PT because I like what they do and what they stand for plus I’ve heard the actual job isn’t that bad. But I don’t know if I can see myself physically getting there again because I tend to freeze up when I’m not prepared with an answer and am relying on memorization to get me through. I don’t know. I’ll give it at least this summer semester before making any large decisions, but what do some of you think here? Are or have any of you been in this situation?
I'm not that far ahead of you - halfway through my second year - and I also have a pretty high GPA (3.56). The information becomes extremely repetitive, in a good, reinforcing way, and we have started to really emphasize critical thinking. Exams are dumb and either ask you to memorize stupid factoids or try to apply critical thinking to a very brief and vague scenario. I am starting to let my grades slip in favor of having a life and balancing my mental health. I highly dislike school - like highly (but I loved my previous degrees...)- and I am sick of the stress and the 7 days/week grind. I get it. Almost every day I have to talk myself out of dropping out, and every time I have that self-convo, it comes down to....only 1.5 more years. Not to mention, the previous 1.5 years I have already finished would be an enormous waste of money, time, and effort.
If you haven't gone to clinic yet, it is a HUGE relief and breath of fresh air. It is invigorating. Being back in the classroom is utter misery, but the light is starting to shine at the end of the tunnel. It allowed me to regain balance over my life, reestablish a workout routine, reconnect with friends, and just be a human being for 10 weeks.
Stop worrying about your grades - you have a huge grade buffer now if you do struggle through a class (or just choose to have somewhat of a life). Ask your teachers for ways/strategies to feel more confident on practicals. With that GPA, you absolutely do not need to be studying as much as you are. Our cut-off for passing is 83 and we constantly tell each other, "83's make DPTs". It isn't that we are being lazy - we are just trying to also value non-study time and we no longer stress if we get below a 100 on things.
Food for thought - I have noticed that the students who stress the least tend to do the best on practicals. They are my current role models, LOL!
I don't know if that helps...I am not going to pretend that DPT school is so much fun and it's rainbows and sunbeams. But I think you have a LOT of room for improvement if you put less pressure on yourself and begin making time for YOU.

Reactions: 4 users
It also should be easier when you are doing rotations since you will not have to study during that time, just go to work and back home, maybe some simple assignments... So the worst part of PT school is over for both of you.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not that far ahead of you - halfway through my second year - and I also have a pretty high GPA (3.56). The information becomes extremely repetitive, in a good, reinforcing way, and we have started to really emphasize critical thinking. Exams are dumb and either ask you to memorize stupid factoids or try to apply critical thinking to a very brief and vague scenario. I am starting to let my grades slip in favor of having a life and balancing my mental health. I highly dislike school - like highly (but I loved my previous degrees...)- and I am sick of the stress and the 7 days/week grind. I get it. Almost every day I have to talk myself out of dropping out, and every time I have that self-convo, it comes down to....only 1.5 more years. Not to mention, the previous 1.5 years I have already finished would be an enormous waste of money, time, and effort.
If you haven't gone to clinic yet, it is a HUGE relief and breath of fresh air. It is invigorating. Being back in the classroom is utter misery, but the light is starting to shine at the end of the tunnel. It allowed me to regain balance over my life, reestablish a workout routine, reconnect with friends, and just be a human being for 10 weeks.
Stop worrying about your grades - you have a huge grade buffer now if you do struggle through a class (or just choose to have somewhat of a life). Ask your teachers for ways/strategies to feel more confident on practicals. With that GPA, you absolutely do not need to be studying as much as you are. Our cut-off for passing is 83 and we constantly tell each other, "83's make DPTs". It isn't that we are being lazy - we are just trying to also value non-study time and we no longer stress if we get below a 100 on things.
Food for thought - I have noticed that the students who stress the least tend to do the best on practicals. They are my current role models, LOL!
I don't know if that helps...I am not going to pretend that DPT school is so much fun and it's rainbows and sunbeams. But I think you have a LOT of room for improvement if you put less pressure on yourself and begin making time for YOU.
Thank you for the thought-out response. That’s good advice. Maybe I will ask a little bit about how to relax about the practicals - I fear those more than anything. I worry the most about losing my train of thought and freezing up, thus looking like an incompetent fool. So I memorize everything beforehand to a script (unbelievably time-consuming) then blurt it all out really quickly during the practical. I’ve gotten hundreds on them all, but I’ve been told I talk too fast as a result of this method. And I agree, I do. But I don’t know how otherwise to prepare like the rest of you do. I’m sure you’re all nervous as well, but I doubt you waste your time like I do studying for it like theater. I’ll need to work on something. Again, thank you for the advice!

Last edited:
Thank you for the thought-out response. That’s good advice. Maybe I will ask a little bit about how to relax about the practicals - I fear those more than anything. I worry the most about losing my train of thought and freezing up, thus looking like an incompetent fool. So I memorize everything beforehand to a script (unbelievably time-consuming) then blurt it all out really quickly during the practical. I’ve gotten hundreds on them all, but I’ve been told I talk to fast as a result of this method. And I agree, I do. But I don’t know how otherwise to prepare like the rest of you do. I’m sure you’re all nervous as well, but I doubt you waste your time like I do studying for it like theater. I’ll need to work on something. Again, thank you for the advice!
I think it's time for you to re-prioritize. Instead of focusing on studying alone and getting 'A's, focus on group study and practicing skills with your classmates. Stop killing yourself with your grades, all you need to worry about is staying off probation. So figure out what that is and only worry if you are approaching that threshold.
Find 2 or 3 classmates and role play over and over until you feel comfortable. Stop memorizing scripts. Your interactions need to become second nature. When you start your clinical rotations, you will see so much stuff that you just won't be prepared for. Practice your social skills. There is no harm in saying, "I don't know" or "I've never seen this before." Practice your "neutral" face. The human condition is unpredictable and you don't want to come off as panicked or grossed out.
Obviously, you can learn the stuff you need to know, but you are going to hate being a PT if you can't get comfortable with the patients.

Reactions: 1 users

I feel like we are similar. I'm getting 4.0 my science prerequisites but when the professor ask me questions during a lecture I freeze up. How comfortable were you in your physics and chemistry labs?

I feel like we are similar. I'm getting 4.0 my science prerequisites but when the professor ask me questions during a lecture I freeze up. How comfortable were you in your physics and chemistry labs?
Like in undergrad? I got A’s in those classes and labs, but basically I just knew the material required by the professor for those. I couldn’t tell you anything about those weird equations or how to arrive at specific physics conclusions at all today, lol. I can’t say I’ve ever been asked to describe anything verbally in those classes though like we are in PT practicals right now. Totally different ballgame.

Like in undergrad? I got A’s in those classes and labs, but basically I just knew the material required by the professor for those. I couldn’t tell you anything about those weird equations or how to arrive at specific physics conclusions at all today, lol. I can’t say I’ve ever been asked to describe anything verbally in those classes though like we are in PT practicals right now. Totally different ballgame.
I'm just wondering what aspects of practicals you are having trouble with. Is it thinking on your feet? The pressure of a grader watching you? I know in my case I'm more book smart. I take the time and effort to prepare for tests but in terms of how fast I can learn and use new material I'm just average. That is why I asked you about labs in science classes since it requires a different type of intelligence than taking a test with a number 2 pencil. I would think someone who can finish chemistry labs a lot faster than the rest of the class (we all met people like that) will do great in practicals but that is just my uneducated guess since I'm still pre-pt and never participated in a practical.

I'm just wondering what aspects of practicals you are having trouble with. Is it thinking on your feet? The pressure of a grader watching you? I know in my case I'm more book smart. I take the time and effort to prepare for tests but in terms of how fast I can learn and use new material I'm just average. That is why I asked you about labs in science classes since it requires a different type of intelligence than taking a test with a number 2 pencil. I would think someone who can finish chemistry labs a lot faster than the rest of the class (we all met people like that) will do great in practicals but that is just my uneducated guess since I'm still pre-pt and never participated in a practical.
Nah, it's different. Practicals are applied thinking that encompass a LOT of different things, and how you perform impacts someone else (the hypothetical patient). You can also fly through a chem lab if you're one of those people (I'm not) who immediately grasped what you're supposed to do and go do it and also not at all understand it. So don't worry if you're slow in chem lab - they aren't even kind of the same thing.