Should I continue with Optometry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedWizz

Reaction score
Hello all,
For context, I am currently 23 years old (single with no dependents) and have been accepted by the optometry schools I have applied to (ICO and UMSL). I currently live and work in North Carolina, so I would have to pay out-of-state tuition. I have already turned down my offer from UMSL and plan to attend ICO this Fall. I have an undergraduate degree in exercise science and have completed almost all pre-medical courses (biochemistry and the second semester of organic chemistry). I have a 3.94 GPA with around 1200 clinical hours as an ophthalmic assistant. I originally planned to pursue PA school, as I have struggled with a commitment to a particular area, but working as an ophthalmic assistant got me into optometry (yes, we have an optometrist I shadowed).

Next, I'm going to go over my current financial situation and tuition calculations with offers:
I currently have $21,000 in undergraduate loans, which are, on average, at a fixed 4% interest rate.

UMSL
Direct expenses-->$236,908*
Indirect expenses (4 years included)-->$130,000
Total expenses-->$366,908
Adjusted total expenses-->$298,908 (with a $17,000/year scholarship)
*I have spoke to financial aid, in which they stated "you will lose your scholarship offer if you apply for resident tuition after a year of residency"

ICO
Direct expenses-->$210,418
Indirect expenses-->$94,850 (I am not sure how this is lower than UMSL, but it was calculated using the cost sheet)
Total expenses-->$305,268
Adjusted total expenses-->$275,268 (with a $7,500/year scholarship)

Current thoughts/future job projections:
I feel that most comments will advise continuing, but I want to clarify that I have a passion for optometry. I think I would like to eventually move back close to my hometown (rural part of NC) and possibly work with the VA as I am interested in ocular disease and have no interest in working with kids (although I would not mind it). The company I currently work for (private practice for profit) is looking for an OD with a base salary of $120,000-$160,000, so I could estimate that my area would pay roughly $140,000 a year in a private setting.

I understand that there are many opportunities for repayment, including working for corporations, PSLF (VA included), and even some private practices that will help repay some loans. I took working for the military out of the option, as I had previously tried to join the Air Force but was turned down by MEPS due to childhood asthma. I feel I would be best off working for the VA while working towards PSLF after 10 years, so I decided to do some more calculations.

After using the FAFSA calculator, I determined that I would make around $2,000 in monthly payments toward student loans using an income-driven repayment plan. If I continued working towards the PSLF after ten years, I would have paid roughly $240,000 in debt before the rest of my loans were forgiven. The standard 10-year repayment plan would be $4232 a month, which is not plausible.

I am not considering ophthalmology due to its extended length (7-8 years at least) and the chance that you will not match into an ophthalmology residency. I am still tossing up the idea of other careers, such as PA school, but even those schools can have upwards of $200,000 in school debt. The ophthalmologist I work for has repeatedly stated not to worry about tuition costs and to go for it, as all medical professionals will have extended debt. I have a hard time considering that, as ophthalmology has doubled to triple the returns of optometry.

Final thoughts:
I am very passionate about optometry and the difference the field has made in the community. I want to step into a similar role; however, I do not want to put myself into a hole I will never climb out of. Unfortunately, it seems that most healthcare professionals will go into extensive debt, but most can get by just fine. I grew up with parents who, to this day, are living paycheck to paycheck, so financial situations have always worried me.

Any responses will be considered, and I appreciate you taking the time to help guide me.

Members don't see this ad.

All medical training whether it is Optometry, Dental, Medical School, PA etc etc is extremely expensive right now and only getting worse. So I wouldn't base the rest of my life on tuition cost and would do what you are interested in.

PA has a cap of about $100-$140K they can make and employed Optometry is pretty similar but if you are an owner the ceiling on income can be much higher.

I'd recommend do what you are passionate about because everything gets boring and a little mundane after a while.

Reactions: 1 users
All medical training whether it is Optometry, Dental, Medical School, PA etc etc is extremely expensive right now and only getting worse. So I wouldn't base the rest of my life on tuition cost and would do what you are interested in.

PA has a cap of about $100-$140K they can make and employed Optometry is pretty similar but if you are an owner the ceiling on income can be much higher.

I'd recommend do what you are passionate about because everything gets boring and a little mundane after a while.
Thanks for your reply!
I agree that all professional schools in healthcare are excessively expensive. I totally agree that I should just commit, it's just hard to when you know you will struggle to pay off the debt.

As far as attending PA school, they do typically make less; however, I have heard some talk about phasing out optometry with the advancement of newer technology. At the same time, I've heard that they needed more now than ever so I am unsure of what to think.

I will most likely just attend regardless, and deal with the possible consequences later. I do want to do something that I enjoy, which I guess makes it worthwhile in the end.