MPH Should I decline the acceptance from JHU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frickzzz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have got into several MPH programs, MPH@JHU, MHA@UNC-CH, and interdisciplinary MPH@ UC Berkeley, as well as MPH@ UW. The thing is that I don't have much financial means to support my graduate study as I have accumulated huge loans during my training. So it looks that a public school is definitively more affordable...
I need your advice on the choice of public health schools, any current students in this forum can provide some more information regarding these programs? I very much want to work at international level after graduation, anyone could give insights into which school would suit me best in my future career?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you reside in the same state as any of these programs?

If not, then (for example), JHU might not be that much more expensive. JHU estimates the tuition (i.e. for the entire 2 year program) for the MPH program at 46k. For an out of state student, UNC estimates tuition for their HPM at roughly 54k. I'm not comfortable estimating living expenses for you, but unless they are absurdly lopsided, JHU would actually be less expensive (again, assuming out of state). Not sure how it would work out with your other options, but their cost estimates should be available online.

Unfortunately, I'm not a current student so I cannot provide any more information on the programs. Good luck.

Is the 54K estimate for UNC assuming that you obtain out of state residency for both years?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. I neglected to consider gaining residency. Good catch; my bad.

No worries. Not everyone is able to obtain instate residency the second year anyways so it's always best to prepare for the worst-case scenario. I was mostly curious because 54K seems pretty cheap for 2 years of out-of-state tuition.

To OP:

Johns Hopkins recently partnered up with Aramco in the Middle East (http://www.tennessean.com/article/2...-provide-health-care-oil-company-Saudi-Aramco), which could be really good for international experience postgrad.

wow, that sounds like a fantastic opportunity in healthcare management if you get to participate in one of those programs established by the joint venture, not to mention potentially various trips to Saudi? Cool beans!

Is the 54K estimate for UNC assuming that you obtain out of state residency for both years?
Hi thanks for your advice, it is $ 30205 for tuition 2014-2015according to the student data form that I find on their website.

Do you reside in the same state as any of these programs?

If not, then (for example), JHU might not be that much more expensive. JHU estimates the tuition (i.e. for the entire 2 year program) for the MPH program at 46k. For an out of state student, UNC estimates tuition for their HPM at roughly 54k. I'm not comfortable estimating living expenses for you, but unless they are absurdly lopsided, JHU would actually be less expensive (again, assuming out of state). Not sure how it would work out with your other options, but their cost estimates should be available online.

Unfortunately, I'm not a current student so I cannot provide any more information on the programs. Good luck.

Hi JQH,

Thank you for your reply. Sorry for being not clear enough, I am an international student with loads of working experience at international level. I will be asked to pay out-of-state tuition anyway.

Compared to ~$30000tuition at UNC, that of 11 month MPH@JHU is ~$55000. Besides, I applied only for MPH programs which can be completed within 1 year. As a result, unlike MSPH programs, I will not be eligible for the tuition reduction from the second year at JHU.

No worries. Not everyone is able to obtain instate residency the second year anyways so it's always best to prepare for the worst-case scenario. I was mostly curious because 54K seems pretty cheap for 2 years of out-of-state tuition.

To OP:

Johns Hopkins recently partnered up with Aramco in the Middle East (http://www.tennessean.com/article/2...-provide-health-care-oil-company-Saudi-Aramco), which could be really good for international experience postgrad.
For MSPH programs at Johns Hopkins, some students will get 75% tuition reduction from the second year.

"Master's Tuition Scholarship (MTS)Upon the recommendation of the departmental chairperson or his/her designee, a Master's Tuition Scholarship (MTS) worth up to 75% of the School's tuition is available to eligible Master of Science (ScM), Master of Health Science (MHS), Master of Health Administration (MHA), and Master of Science in Public Health (MSPH) students enrolled in their second year of study. A scholarship award of less than 75% will be made when some other form of tuition support is available to the student. Receipt of this scholarship is limited to four academic terms. Students enrolled in a program of less than eight terms will be limited to one, two, or three terms of MTS as determined by their academic program."

http://www.jhsph.edu/offices-and-se...ional_Scholarships/institutional_funding.html