Should I defer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KitKat30

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
By deferring, you're ultimately giving up a year of an attending's salary. Not worth it IMO.

Reactions: 3 users
Unless you intend to go on to academia or academic medicine, publications don't really matter. You can always continue research in medical school as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do, and I meant that I would like to continue with my current project a little longer. It's hard to get much out of a research project when you can only spend a few months on it, which is why I'm not sure if now would be a better time than when I'm in med school.

It is and I understand that. But the chances are, unless you're very close to a publication, another few months - even a year - won't make much difference. It all depends on what sort of data you have now and how much more you have to do before publication-quality work. So for medical school, I would definitely say try to be more involved than just a few months on a project although in some biological disciplines, you can design quick experiments such that either positive or negative results would be publishable. It depends on the specific subfield.

Reactions: 1 user