Should I delay graduation or do a premed post bacc program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1120671

Hi. My college career has been quite insane, in my opinion but I am finally able to take premed courses but the problem is that I am a senior.

So, I am thinking of delaying my graduation by a year in order to complete the necessary premed courses because I can have financial aid and grants. My university also has a pre-med post baccalaureate program and a heath advisor recommended I should do that since I’m a senior but I don’t think I can afford that without loans since financial aid isn’t available.

So, would it be worth it delaying graduation to take pre-med courses or should I do a post-bacc program?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. My college career has been quite insane, in my opinion but I am finally able to take premed courses but the problem is that I am a senior.

So, I am thinking of delaying my graduation by a year in order to complete the necessary premed courses because I can have financial aid and grants. My university also has a pre-med post baccalaureate program and a heath advisor recommended I should do that since I’m a senior but I don’t think I can afford that without loans since financial aid isn’t available.

So, would it be worth it delaying graduation to take pre-med courses or should I do a post-bacc program?

Thanks.
If financial aid is available then obviously just delay graduation. However most schools will only provide aid if you’re under the credits needed to graduate so check on that before deciding.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you sure you can continue receiving financial aid once you go into your fifth year of undergrad and take coursework beyond what you need to graduate with your degree?

If yes, going into a 5th year makes sense, though that may not be enough to complete all premed prerequisites if you’ve previously completed none.

Taking them all at once will put downward pressure on your GPA. How would you handle bio, chem and physics at the same time - each with 3 hour labs per week - plus stats or calculus?

Thanks.
There is a cap on the amount of federal financial aid that you can receive as an undergrad. You may need to take out a private loan. Talk with an advisor at your school's financial aid office.

Status
Not open for further replies.