Should I delay my application by a year to get more clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twofreefour

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Here's my story:

I have a BA in Psychology (honors), worked a few years in Mental Health, became very interested in Medicine and decided at 23 to go back to community college and do the required coursework for medical school admission (originally going for DPT, but changed to MD). As of now (I'm 25) I have completed everything (grades are solid) except: Cell and Molecular Bio, second semester physics, Organic Chem I&II, and Zoology. Here's my plan for the next few terms:

Spring 2015:
* Cell/Mo
* Second semester phys
(You can't take Zoo concurrently with Cell/Mo, & they only offer first semester OChem in Fall)

Fall 2015
*Organic Chem I
*Zoo

Spring 2016
*O.Chem II
*Study like mad for the MCAT!

Early summer 2016
*Take MCAT/start apps

Fall 2016
Apply!

Here's my dilemma: I don't have much in the way of volunteer experience so far, I did 75 hours shadowing a PT in the Ortho department at a hospital (I'm not sure if that even counts! Does anyone know??) And do "auxiliary" volunteering. I'm trying to find a doctor to shadow, but it's been challenging thus far! I'm wondering if it would be in my best interest to try and do a short phlebotomy cert. program over the summer, try and find work as a phlebotomist while finishing up my coursework, and then potentially take another year to save up money, gain more clinical experience, and spend more time studying for the MCAT. I don't want to be impatient, but I would really like to apply ASAP... another consideration is whether I will have adequate time to devote to studying for the MCAT while taking second semester of Ochem (which is notoriously difficult at my school) while working at two jobs and volunteering!

So my question for you all out there is this: do you think gaining the extra year of experience working in patient-care as a phlebotemist would greatly enhance my application? The extra year to study may improve my MCAT score also (though it might actually be beneficial to take it right after completing my coursework). Or should I maybe just take the MCAT summer 2016 as planned and apply anyway? Any advice/comments are appreciated!

Thanks ( :

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!

Here's my story:

I have a BA in Psychology (honors), worked a few years in Mental Health, became very interested in Medicine and decided at 23 to go back to community college and do the required coursework for medical school admission (originally going for DPT, but changed to MD). As of now (I'm 25) I have completed everything (grades are solid) except: Cell and molecular, second semester physics, organic chem, and zoology. Here's my plan for the next few terms:

Spring 2015:
* Cell/Mo
* Second semester phys
(You can't take Zoo concurrently with Cell/Mo, & they only offer first semester OChem in Fall)

Fall 2015
*Organic Chem I
*Zoo

Spring 2016
*O.Chem II
*Study like mad for the MCAT!

Early summer 2016
*Take MCAT/start apps

Fall 2016
Apply!

Here's my dilemma: I don't have much in the way of volunteer experience so far, I did 75 hours shadowing a PT in the Ortho department at a hospital (I'm not sure if that even counts! Does anyone know??) And do "auxiliary" volunteering. I'm trying to find a doctor to shadow, but it's been challenging thus far! I'm wondering if it would be in my best interest to try and do a short phlebotomy cert. program over the summer, try and find work as a phlebotomist while finishing up my coursework, and then potentially take another year to save up money, gain more clinical experience, and spend more time studying for the MCAT. I don't want to be impatient, but I would really like to apply ASAP... another consideration is whether I will have adequate time to devote to studying for the MCAT while taking second semester of Ochem (which is notoriously difficult at my school) while working at two jobs and volunteering!

So my question for you all out there is this: do you think gaining the extra year of experience working in patient-care as a phlebotemist would greatly enhance my application? The extra year to study may improve my MCAT score also (though it might actually be beneficial to take it right after completing my coursework). Or should I maybe just take the MCAT summer 2016 as planned and apply anyway? Any advice/comments are appreciated!

Thanks ( :

I wouldn't take an extra year. You already have some good patient experience. Perhaps volunteer a bit more in the hospital and definitely find some physicians to shadow. You want to be able to back up why you want to go into medicine and it's hard to stand your ground when you don't see their day to day job.

Good luck!

Unrelated to your question, but I see a potential issue with your timeline. You don't want to be submitting your applications in the fall - it's much better to submit them in early summer as being complete early in the cycle gives you a big leg up.

Do volunteering and shadowing in 2015 and you will be all set. No need for a extra year off. Also, apply to schools in June or July. Not early Fall which for me means September. Since you are non-traditional you want to get ahead of this process. Take MCAT in May