Should I delay submitting my application until I am closer to receiving MCAT score if I have uneven stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeamMLRS

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Mostly TMDSAS Specific question, but it could apply to AMCAS:

Should I delay submitting my application until I am closer to receiving my July 7th MCAT date if I have uneven stats?

As a non-trad I have unique stats that I feel may warrant me submitting my application in late June so that Adcoms are able to look at the complete application before deciding no. Here are my stats:
cGPA: 3.36
sGPA: 3.92
PB GPA: 3.93
nonclinical ECs: excellent
clinical ECs: Acceptable
Extras: military service, disadvantaged, solid redemption arc in PS

While I can't know for sure, my practice scores are pretty solid and I'm an above average test taker so I am confidant that I will do well on my exam(515+).

I ask because I plan on applying to quite a few schools, including T20s, and want them to have received the whole picture in order to maximize my success. I will be applying to some schools regardless of my score, and add some depending on how it lines up with MSAR after. My thoughts are at some schools my cGPA will get my app overlooked without an MCAT to back up my sGPA, thus by submitting early I could actually be harming myself. TMDSAS submits to school June 1st, AMCAS submits July 10th so I should be fine there.

What are y'alls thoughts on benefit of applying early vs cons of not having an MCAT when they look at it?

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen a couple of people suggest that you could always apply to one throw-away school to get your application verified and once you get your MCAT, make a finalized list and apply from there. You'll get your score back mid-July so you'll still be at a good spot.

I would hold off on submitting tmdas because you can’t afford to have throwaway schools in Texas. The competition is steep enough that if you want the benefits of low tuition you need to apply broadly. Waiting a few days will not ruin your application.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming you're a Texas resident, I'd suggest you apply to every Texas school and virtually nowhere else. If your MCAT comes in close to your expectations - say anywhere between 510 and 520 - then you'll be fine. Your upward trend, strong sGPA and military service should be enough to get you through initial screens and into the "probably want to talk to them" pile.

Many, many applicants will have delayed MCAT scores this year, so I'm confident the schools will make a point of 'back-filling' them much more this year than typically. It will get considered --

Honestly, I see no reason for you to wait. For an applicant who needs their MCAT to improve an otherwise weak application, my advice might be different.

Reactions: 2 users