Should I do a biotech minor or history honors program? which looks better for med school?PLEASE HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benjaminsbaby

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an URM (African-american female). I just finished up my undergraduate freshman year at a state school. My cGPA right now is 3.793 but should be a 3.82 if I get A's in my summer classes. My sGPA is a 3.55 but I still have time to raise that up as well. I'm a Human Biology and History major with minors in Biotechnology and Middle Eastern Studies.

I know that sounds like I'm being overly ambitious but I already planned out all the courses I'm going to take up until graduation and I can complete both majors and minors in 4 years with minimal summer classes and no 18 credit hour semesters w/o getting a tuition surcharge.

As a History B.A I have the option of doing the History Honors Program at my school that lets you take extra history honors courses that lead up to the writing and defense of a thesis. I really want to do this whether or not it looks good on a medical school application just cause the only reason I'm even doing the History major in the first place is for me.

The only problem is that I can't do the History Honors Program and the biotech minor because I can't fit the extra credit hours anywhere in my schedule. The Middle Eastern studies minor overlaps with my major so it doesn't add any extra credits. Should I forgo the biotech minor to do the honors program?

The reason I wanted to do the biotech minor is because it'd help me with my research. I'm part of an internship program that will allow me to have 1200+ hours of research experience by the time I graduate (I started 3 months into my freshman year). I already have one publication. Since I really want to go into MD/Ph.D I feel like the biotech minor would really help out my application.

Which should I opt for? The honors in history or the biotech minor?

Members don't see this ad.

As a History B.A I have the option of doing the History Honors Program at my school that lets you take extra history honors courses that lead up to the writing and defense of a thesis. I really want to do this whether or not it looks good on a medical school application just cause the only reason I'm even doing the History major in the first place is for me.

You just answered your own question. Do what you love.

Reactions: 1 users