Should I do a fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Physia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Long-time lurker, first time poster here.

This post is long. I apologize. I am just really torn, and don't know what is or is not important to consider. I'm hoping to get a variety of opinions and input; thanks in advance for your help.

About me: I'm a PGY-3 PM&R resident, thinking about the next step, and wondering if a pain/interventional fellowship would make sense for me. Here's why I'm not yet convinced: I honestly don't have that much exposure to the field yet. I have some electives coming up where I can work with a few interventionalists, but right now most of my training has been inpatient with a few scattered outpatient and EMG months. Here's why I'm considering: I like the potential to be busy, productive, hands on, and not stuck seeing patients in 20 minute clinic slots every day.

The exposure I have had to interventional procedures has been neat, but I don't know if it matches reality going forward. As a med student I saw a handful of procedures, and even got to inject a knee and move a needle under fluoro (cool). As an intern, I did a two-week observational rotation with a private-practice anesthesia-background interventionalist who had a very efficient and very busy private practice. That place was a well-oiled machine. He must have had 15-20 staff for just one doc (reception, billing, practice managers, nurses, PAs). He didn't prescribe any narcotics and in 2 weeks there I only saw one new patient referral slip through the cracks that was obviously just drug seeking. If I can stay that busy, productive and (presumably) lucrative, it seems like a neat job. However, the time, effort and stress to set up that practice, combined with ongoing cuts, makes me think that reality is less and less likely. (FWIW, I think he initially came into someone else's practice and later ended up buying him out.)

Anyway, my dilemma is multi-factorial.

In PM&R, I like a lot of stuff and can honestly see myself pretty content with a variety of options. I don't think I'd be unhappy as an outpatient generalist. I might even consider inpatient if the call schedule was minimal (and I mean minimal), and the bureaucracy/administration not too onerous. I've liked my experiences at the VA so far, and often appreciate the slower pace though I'm sure I might get fed up with my inability to make things more efficient. Therefore, why do pain if I'd be happy with other things as well?

However, when I search for jobs, a lot of them seem to desire the pain/interventional training. Will this fellowship truly offer me more job opportunities? How much more could I make as an interventionalist than a generalist (accounting for reimbursement cuts on both spine and EMG procedures, overhead, etc). I know money should NOT be the ultimate goal, but if I work the same # of hours but make twice as much, that certainly is a consideration. And even without compensation as a goal, if an interventional job will get me to where I want to live location-wise, that would be awesome.

My husband gave up a 12-year career to move with me to residency where his current job options - to be honest - suck, and his skills are quickly atrophying. It's important to us that we both have fulfilling careers. Therefore, if interventional experience would allow me to go where we wanted to go, it would totally be worth it.

Additionally, my life outside of medicine is an extremely important consideration. We want to be close to the outdoors. We want a family. We don't want to be incredibly house-poor (if not, I would LOVE northern California). I honestly don't know if, long-term, I want to work full or part time. I'd like the income of full time, but I like the time to enjoy the money, too. I don't think I'd be happy working 60 hours/week, no matter what I do.

Finally, we want to start a family. Currently, baby #1 is on the way. He/she will be ~ 1yo when I start fellowship vs my first job. We'd like at least 2 kids, and if time permits, maybe up to 4. (My husband needs to be convinced about the >2, though.) I'm now 33, so these kids will have to be pretty close in age. I have NO idea how this plan will mesh with any fellowship/job I take.

Also, very importantly: should I even consider that much fluoro exposure when I'm expecting to be pregnant/breastfeeding?

What to do, what to do?

Thanks so much for making it through this LONG post.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

Long-time lurker, first time poster here.

This post is long. I apologize. I am just really torn, and don't know what is or is not important to consider. I'm hoping to get a variety of opinions and input; thanks in advance for your help.

About me: I'm a PGY-3 PM&R resident, thinking about the next step, and wondering if a pain/interventional fellowship would make sense for me. Here's why I'm not yet convinced: I honestly don't have that much exposure to the field yet. I have some electives coming up where I can work with a few interventionalists, but right now most of my training has been inpatient with a few scattered outpatient and EMG months. Here's why I'm considering: I like the potential to be busy, productive, hands on, and not stuck seeing patients in 20 minute clinic slots every day.

The exposure I have had to interventional procedures has been neat, but I don't know if it matches reality going forward. As a med student I saw a handful of procedures, and even got to inject a knee and move a needle under fluoro (cool). As an intern, I did a two-week observational rotation with a private-practice anesthesia-background interventionalist who had a very efficient and very busy private practice. That place was a well-oiled machine. He must have had 15-20 staff for just one doc (reception, billing, practice managers, nurses, PAs). He didn't prescribe any narcotics and in 2 weeks there I only saw one new patient referral slip through the cracks that was obviously just drug seeking. If I can stay that busy, productive and (presumably) lucrative, it seems like a neat job. However, the time, effort and stress to set up that practice, combined with ongoing cuts, makes me think that reality is less and less likely. (FWIW, I think he initially came into someone else's practice and later ended up buying him out.)

Anyway, my dilemma is multi-factorial.

In PM&R, I like a lot of stuff and can honestly see myself pretty content with a variety of options. I don't think I'd be unhappy as an outpatient generalist. I might even consider inpatient if the call schedule was minimal (and I mean minimal), and the bureaucracy/administration not too onerous. I've liked my experiences at the VA so far, and often appreciate the slower pace though I'm sure I might get fed up with my inability to make things more efficient. Therefore, why do pain if I'd be happy with other things as well?

However, when I search for jobs, a lot of them seem to desire the pain/interventional training. Will this fellowship truly offer me more job opportunities? How much more could I make as an interventionalist than a generalist (accounting for reimbursement cuts on both spine and EMG procedures, overhead, etc). I know money should NOT be the ultimate goal, but if I work the same # of hours but make twice as much, that certainly is a consideration. And even without compensation as a goal, if an interventional job will get me to where I want to live location-wise, that would be awesome.

My husband gave up a 12-year career to move with me to residency where his current job options - to be honest - suck, and his skills are quickly atrophying. It's important to us that we both have fulfilling careers. Therefore, if interventional experience would allow me to go where we wanted to go, it would totally be worth it.

Additionally, my life outside of medicine is an extremely important consideration. We want to be close to the outdoors. We want a family. We don't want to be incredibly house-poor (if not, I would LOVE northern California). I honestly don't know if, long-term, I want to work full or part time. I'd like the income of full time, but I like the time to enjoy the money, too. I don't think I'd be happy working 60 hours/week, no matter what I do.

Finally, we want to start a family. Currently, baby #1 is on the way. He/she will be ~ 1yo when I start fellowship vs my first job. We'd like at least 2 kids, and if time permits, maybe up to 4. (My husband needs to be convinced about the >2, though.) I'm now 33, so these kids will have to be pretty close in age. I have NO idea how this plan will mesh with any fellowship/job I take.

Also, very importantly: should I even consider that much fluoro exposure when I'm expecting to be pregnant/breastfeeding?

What to do, what to do?

Thanks so much for making it through this LONG post.

Don't do a fellowship.

You are gonna work part time.

It really has to be career or kids. You could do both, but then you'd be doing each half-assed. From what you have already posted, you have already made your decision. You need the flexibility of a hospital. A private practice will demand productivity and if you are taking maternity leave, or work part time, you will not generating enough to justify the higher salary.

You can get an inpatient job anywhere.

Thanks for wading through my brain-dump, and thanks for your reply.

But if I make enough money full-time, I can hire a nanny that would allow me longer hours. But would I want to? I don't know - kid #1 isn't even here. Definitely know I will want to work some. Just musing...

Like this, this would be awesome: http://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=a6...&l=Flagstaff,+AZ&tk=17jqk92vs0n3h0pp&from=web Part-time, northern Arizona, how could I go wrong?

Again, I welcome more opinions. I feel like I have to make these decisions now when I don't even know what real-life working in medicine will be like.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Frankly, that job looks like a train wreck, but thats not the point.

Talk to other professional women docs or your professional college friends. It really seems like most don't work full time. Do some soul searching and be honest with yourself. If you have no doubts that you want to work full time, outpatient, with pain patients, then a fellowship is the way to go. Doesn't sound that way to me

Nothing is as good as it seems. Hmmm.

This is just the beginning of my soul searching. Right now the soul feels scattered - I need to find all the pieces before I can put it together. Thanks for the guidance and focus.

I am talking to other docs, too. I don't know too many pain physicians, though. Thanks.

Well you can have a big family, good hours and lower pay, or big family, long hours and enough money to hire a nanny, maybe a housekeeper and an expensive preschool. Question is how hands on do you want to be at home vs your desire for intellectual enrichment at work? No right answer, you and your spouse will need to do some thinking on this.

In most regions there is much more demand for general outpatient and inpatient PM&R than there is for interventional. All the ads may be for interventional, but our field is tiny and most PM&R jobs are filled via word of mouth without running any ads. If you are open to working in a smaller city or even go rural there are tons of opportunities and a bit higher pay. If it has to be San Francisco then you will have to take what you can get.

I appreciate the comment that what is advertised is not necessarily what is available. It is hard to know without being actually in the job hunt.

I would go crazy as a stay-at-home mom. I would go crazy shuttling the kids back and forth to practices and clubs for 4-5 hours/day if that's what I did with my part-time status. I would love to see kids grow up and learn about the world, but I need my adult and intellectual pursuits to keep me sane and fully fulfilled.

I would love a smallish or medium city, if my husband could find good work. We're not NY, LA or SF people. Denver/Boulder would be awesome (yeah, I know, everyone else thinks so too).

So many decisions. I just don't want to limit my options, but I know I will have to draw the line someplace.

Again, appreciating the discussion.

My 2¢ - either go full bore, work full time, hire a nanny, spend max 1-2 hours a nite with kids watching them do their activities, and have them remember how nice their nanny is when they reminisce, or go part-time, feel like you actually did something with them outside of weekends/vacation, and be someone other than an income stream....

I know it might not be realistic in a big city, but you always can move to another job, city, position, etc. you can't replace your kids. Now if you husband is going to be a stay at home dad, that changes things...

Sounds like everyone wants me to go part-time. I wonder if it comes off that strongly in my post (probably), and/or if everybody wishes they could be part-time, too.

I would love if Husband were stay-at-home dad. I don't know if he would love it, though. Plus, his field isn't amenable to part-time (even though it would make more sense financially since I will eventually be the higher wage-earner). I guess that's the good thing about doctoring - the relative flexibility, job security, and portability.

I realized today that my current dilemma feels a lot like choosing a specialty in med school. I could picture myself in almost any option - from ER to developmental peds to anesthesia to rad onc to medicine subspecialty. I'm so happy I found PM&R, though. I love the field, I love the patients, and it suits me well. I will admit I am jealous sometimes of friends' lifestyle and incomes and occasionally wonder if I would be happier elsewhere - but I think the green grass is see is just artificial turf.

I'm meeting with a bunch of my advisors and mentors next week. I hope those discussions as well as some more outpatient experience will help cement my true likes and dislikes.

Thanks.

Sounds like everyone wants me to go part-time. I wonder if it comes off that strongly in my post (probably), and/or if everybody wishes they could be part-time, too.

I would love if Husband were stay-at-home dad. I don't know if he would love it, though. Plus, his field isn't amenable to part-time (even though it would make more sense financially since I will eventually be the higher wage-earner). I guess that's the good thing about doctoring - the relative flexibility, job security, and portability.

I realized today that my current dilemma feels a lot like choosing a specialty in med school. I could picture myself in almost any option - from ER to developmental peds to anesthesia to rad onc to medicine subspecialty. I'm so happy I found PM&R, though. I love the field, I love the patients, and it suits me well. I will admit I am jealous sometimes of friends' lifestyle and incomes and occasionally wonder if I would be happier elsewhere - but I think the green grass is see is just artificial turf.

I'm meeting with a bunch of my advisors and mentors next week. I hope those discussions as well as some more outpatient experience will help cement my true likes and dislikes.

Thanks.

Rule number one, you and family come first. At least in my book. Your husband looks like he's sacrificed a lot so far for your career. I would at least talk to him to see what *he* ideally wants to see out of you and your career. If not this is how I've seen marriages with one of the spouses as a physician start to crack.

The second question is what you really want to do. So it sounds like you are flexible and can do a lot of things.. for now, but really like aspects of pain. However, remember, *many* things about career get tiresome over time, I don't care what career you have. Even pro athletes get tired of it after a while. IN the end my rule has always been do what you enjoy enough but not at cost of personal life; no job is more important than personal well being and family well being.

The third question you need to ask is, what kind of money do you need to support yourself? A lot of posts on SDN in various specialties focus so much on the monetary compensation. How much do you really need? You seem based on the impression I get, that you are not necessarily that materialistic, which is good.

You mention you sometimes get a little envious of other specialty's incomes. Well here is something else to consider. That doesn't make them rich; they could be spending out the crapper for all you know and way more poor than you!

You also haven't told us what your husband does although you mention that it isn't easy to necessarily go and find a job in any city in the country, like a nurse can.

Notice I haven't told you what I think you should do. I have only told you some things frmo my experience.

I think your decision is a very important one though because this is not the typical which job should I take but its a huge lifestyle question. I think only you can answer that question for yourself and I suspect you may already know the answer as well.

But most importantly communicate with your husband about this! You mention a line in your last post that scares me a little.. "I would love if Husband were stay-at-home dad. I don't know if he would love it, though."

I'm going shoot straight here and say, wow. A marriage to work has to have both parts equally happy. If you do not know what his needs are in this thing you better find out, quickly, before you do any sort of job search.

Thanks for your input and the food for thought.

Yes, my husband is fully a participant in this conversation. He does want to have a career for himself where he contributes something. He is a software developer, which you would think would be portable -- but when it comes to job satisfaction, contributing something useful, working with competent people on important things in a small, dynamic company not bogged down by bureaucracy.... turns out options are limited. I guess he's spoiled because he had an awesome job for 8 years right out of college, and nothing has been that important since.

He wants us to be happy. I'm pretty sure that translates to not having me at work for 60-80 hours a week where the child care and house upkeep falls on his shoulders. We want to live life together, you know? However, he is fully supportive if I wanted to pursue a more lucrative specialty part-time rather than the same income for full-time work. We are not materialistic, and I know I am focusing more on the numbers than he is. Then again, he's been working since age 21 and I've been on a delayed gratification path for a LONG time. Overall, we want to make sure that we both have a broad, flexible and marketable skill set that gives us the most options for wherever we end up.

I'm looking forward to meeting with some mentors next week. I'll let you know what my soul-searching comes up with.

Thanks.

Oh, also, I don't believe money buys happiness. I think it can buy things that make you happy, however. :)

We are both fairly frugal and we wouldn't know what to do with, say, a $1M income. However, having padding in the bank and retirement accounts would be nice. I will also be caregiver for a family member with special needs at some point. Plus, I hear kids can be kind of expensive.

Oh, also, I don't believe money buys happiness. I think it can buy things that make you happy, however. :)

We are both fairly frugal and we wouldn't know what to do with, say, a $1M income. However, having padding in the bank and retirement accounts would be nice. I will also be caregiver for a family member with special needs at some point. Plus, I hear kids can be kind of expensive.

Kids can be expensive. But I can sell you a 10 yo real cheap.

My mom tried to give me away for a quarter when I was three. No takers.

IMHO, affairs are the most expensive thing that a person can "invest" in. Children come in second.

Consider job sharing in a private practice. That way, if you want, you could increase workload if desired (when kids are older)...

I would get as much exposure to pain as you can, starting ASAP. You have the opportunity to increase your options substantially with pain training. As far as the other issue, part-time vs full-time, I think it's a separate issue and you can deal with it later.

Most important things: You can say no to patients when necessary, which is frequently. And you like doing procedures.

To the OP: family is by far more important than career. The career is a means to support your family. Whichever path fits that purpose long term, is best. None of us can answer that for you, as total strangers. A 1 year fellowship will go by super fast, though. Then you have 2 specialties to choose from. Pain hours can be about as family friendly as any specialty in Medicine, if you make it that way.

How doable "part time" is, I'm not so sure. 9-5 Mon-Fri is very doable.

Agree with hyperalgesia times 1,000: in today's current environment of rampant opiate misuse and over prescribing you've got to have a thick skin, and be able to say, "No, my way or the highway" even if it means you will get yelled at, insulted and threatened. If you are a "yes man," your practice will quickly get out of control and be a miserable place to work. Also, you've got to like the procedures because that's the fun part, anyways.

Pain isn't perfect, but I'm happy I did the fellowship.

Last edited: