Should I do research in this lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

Today I spoke with a professor at my school about doing research in his lab next semester. I was interested in getting involved with research; I'd like to get academic credit for it, I think it will help my GPA. Basically, he made it very clear to me that I would have to work my ass off in his lab, but the reward would be great. I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not. I didn't do well this semester, and my overall GPA has fallen to a 3.49 or so, my science gpa is a little bit lower. Also, when I spoke with him, he came off as kind of douchey. He was obviously very pissed with pre med students working in his lab and not having a passion for research, instead just wanting to "try a little bit of everything" and skip around to different labs and not committing for the long haul, or only doing it to pad their resumes. I tried to explain to him my previous research and I tried to talk about his research, but he sort of cut me off in a douchey manner that I didn't like that much. He said that undergrad students have to work very hard in his lab because, unlike most other labs, there are not really many graduate students in the lab, so undergrads have to do a lot of the work. I'd be working a MINIMUM 10 hours a week in the lab, most likely more. I'm just worried that this will hurt my GPA. What if I can find another lab that doesn't require as much of a time commitment? At the same time, he explained that his lab is very rewarding. He forces his undergrad students to work hard and write/apply for grants and such. He said that I could do a "test" period the first semester to see if I can handle the work. They might kick me from the lab if I don't commit the time. He explained that, in the past, pre med students may not want to commit time because of all the other things they have to do, like shadowing and volunteering. He said that he understands, but that the lab research should be just as important, and that it can be very difficult to manage all of it. However, if I stay in the lab, the hard work would be more likely to pay off in the form of a publication. He wants people that are committed to the research.

Members don't see this ad.

Going to split this up so it's easier to read:
Today I spoke with a professor at my school about doing research in his lab next semester. I was interested in getting involved with research; I'd like to get academic credit for it, I think it will help my GPA. Basically, he made it very clear to me that I would have to work my ass off in his lab, but the reward would be great. I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not. I didn't do well this semester, and my overall GPA has fallen to a 3.49 or so, my science gpa is a little bit lower. Also, when I spoke with him, he came off as kind of douchey. He was obviously very pissed with pre med students working in his lab and not having a passion for research, instead just wanting to "try a little bit of everything" and skip around to different labs and not committing for the long haul, or only doing it to pad their resumes.

I tried to explain to him my previous research and I tried to talk about his research, but he sort of cut me off in a douchey manner that I didn't like that much. He said that undergrad students have to work very hard in his lab because, unlike most other labs, there are not really many graduate students in the lab, so undergrads have to do a lot of the work. I'd be working a MINIMUM 10 hours a week in the lab, most likely more. I'm just worried that this will hurt my GPA. What if I can find another lab that doesn't require as much of a time commitment? At the same time, he explained that his lab is very rewarding. He forces his undergrad students to work hard and write/apply for grants and such.

He said that I could do a "test" period the first semester to see if I can handle the work. They might kick me from the lab if I don't commit the time. He explained that, in the past, pre med students may not want to commit time because of all the other things they have to do, like shadowing and volunteering. He said that he understands, but that the lab research should be just as important, and that it can be very difficult to manage all of it. However, if I stay in the lab, the hard work would be more likely to pay off in the form of a publication. He wants people that are committed to the research.

Here are some things to consider:

1) How many pubs does he put out a year?
2) Is he first or last author on them?
3) What do other undergrads have to say about him?
4) What is his reputation in the department?
5) What is his current funding?

I tried to explain to him my previous research and I tried to talk about his research, but he sort of cut me off in a douchey manner that I didn't like that much.

Herein lies a warning sign. Or you could have misread the situation.

He said that undergrad students have to work very hard in his lab because, unlike most other labs, there are not really many graduate students in the lab.

Another warning sign. Ask him in person about his funding. If it's a decent amount, he certainly is not lacking grad students for lack of $$$.

so undergrads have to do a lot of the work. I'd be working a MINIMUM 10 hours a week in the lab, most likely more. I'm just worried that this will hurt my GPA. What if I can find another lab that doesn't require as much of a time commitment? At the same time, he explained that his lab is very rewarding. He forces his undergrad students to work hard and write/apply for grants and such.

Grants?...

He said that I could do a "test" period the first semester to see if I can handle the work. They might kick me from the lab if I don't commit the time. He explained that, in the past, pre med students may not want to commit time because of all the other things they have to do, like shadowing and volunteering. He said that he understands, but that the lab research should be just as important, and that it can be very difficult to manage all of it. However, if I stay in the lab, the hard work would be more likely to pay off in the form of a publication. He wants people that are committed to the research.

Fair enough

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not hard to cold email a number of professors and find multiple research openings if you go to a school with a solid amount of research opportunities and funding. If he is a dick don't work with him there are tons of other opportunities to join labs if you take the initiative. When I was looking for a lab I would email a number of professors a day until I found a position and lab I was comfortable in. You don't always need to do this but expand your options, don't work somewhere you aren't comfortable with.

One pro tip I'll give is you don't really know a PI until you start working with him and his lab and see him on a daily basis. I've been involved in both clinical and basic research and in total have had 3 PI's in college. The one who I had my worst first impression, who seemed like a dick who cut me off and didn't seem personable at first and very stern of was the one I got along the best with and got the most out of. I thought he would be super strict and was intimidated by him at first; it turned out he was the exact opposite of strict once I got to know him better. The one PI in another project I worked o who seemed open and nice at first was different when I actually was working with him and that was the lab I got the least out of.

The other thing to consider is that if you are in a lab like this in all likelyhood you relationship with him won't be the biggest thing. It'll be what the other undergrads are like. If this PI just wants the undergrads to work and produce results it'll be up to how long you get along and work with them to determine how much of a success this experience is for you. If you produce which will be dependent on how the undergrads work the PI will get along with you well enough it sounds like.

Finally, I would rather not join a lab where it is not clear what the projects in the lab are to me that are ongoing, what their direction is, what my role in the project is, and if I can get in a paper on a specific project and what is the kind of work it will take for me to do it. The last question isn't always easily answered when you start in a lab but if the professor is saying things like "oh well work hard and we'll see if you can get in a paper" or "you might be able to get into something if you work hard" that's not as ideal as what I said above and it's worth at least emailing other labs because in my experience I've always been able to find someone who can give me a specific idea of my role in the lab, what I'll be working on and what it'll take for me to get published and if it is possible. I know far too many people who have worked on dead projects for years and actually been in good in lab and work hard for 2-3 years and leave with nothing to show for it because they never were given a specific project or something that would lead to publication. Publications will always involve an element of luck and other factors you can't control but control and account for what you can when making a decision of what to join.

It's not hard to cold email a number of professors and find multiple research openings if you go to a school with a solid amount of research opportunities and funding. If he is a dick don't work with him there are tons of other opportunities to join labs if you take the initiative. When I was looking for a lab I would email a number of professors a day until I found a position and lab I was comfortable in. You don't always need to do this but expand your options, don't work somewhere you aren't comfortable with.

One pro tip I'll give is you don't really know a PI until you start working with him and his lab and see him on a daily basis. I've been involved in both clinical and basic research and in total have had 3 PI's in college. The one who I had my worst first impression, who seemed like a dick who cut me off and didn't seem personable at first and very stern of was the one I got along the best with and got the most out of. I thought he would be super strict and was intimidated by him at first; it turned out he was the exact opposite of strict once I got to know him better. The one PI in another project I worked o who seemed open and nice at first was different when I actually was working with him and that was the lab I got the least out of.

The other thing to consider is that if you are in a lab like this in all likelyhood you relationship with him won't be the biggest thing. It'll be what the other undergrads are like. If this PI just wants the undergrads to work and produce results it'll be up to how long you get along and work with them to determine how much of a success this experience is for you. If you produce which will be dependent on how the undergrads work the PI will get along with you well enough it sounds like.

Finally, I would rather not join a lab where it is not clear what the projects in the lab are to me that are ongoing, what their direction is, what my role in the project is, and if I can get in a paper on a specific project and what is the kind of work it will take for me to do it. The last question isn't always easily answered when you start in a lab but if the professor is saying things like "oh well work hard and we'll see if you can get in a paper" or "you might be able to get into something if you work hard" that's not as ideal as what I said above and it's worth at least emailing other labs because in my experience I've always been able to find someone who can give me a specific idea of my role in the lab, what I'll be working on and what it'll take for me to get published and if it is possible. I know far too many people who have worked on dead projects for years and actually been in good in lab and work hard for 2-3 years and leave with nothing to show for it because they never were given a specific project or something that would lead to publication. Publications will always involve an element of luck and other factors you can't control but control and account for what you can when making a decision of what to join.

Finally, I would rather not join a lab where it is not clear what the projects in the lab are to me that are ongoing, what their direction is, what my role in the project is, and if I can get in a paper on a specific project and what is the kind of work it will take for me to do it.

10000000x this!